RIP Robert Walker

Always wondered what had happened to Robert Walker after designing one of the most iconic football images ... and sorry Bob it doen't bring us a lot of luck for a few years! Launched 1st match of 1973 season vs Blackpool #WAWAW995788256_ModOwl.jpeg.a927fe492ce43bc03f8ed343eed28437.jpegDxcJ_r9WsAAYh0l.jpg.f48f52935ab46eb852579111643be714.jpgmodowl2_zps180bfb2b.JPG.fdf28ddfadb6a6508c49fdb520f8de50.JPG
Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Like 4

Badge that embodied our better times. RIP Robert. Be nice gesture if the club could resurrect it in some form. Certainly would be a hit again with the fans.

Kind of reminds me of the time the powers that be removed the Pegasus emblem from Airborne Forces and replaced it with a screaming budgie. Fast forward 15 or so years and the budgie got binned and the Pegasus rightly reinstated. Class and tradition enduring over fads and fashion! 

This thread needs  pinning. 

That design is a masterpiece.

You show that badge to any proper football fan in Britain and they'd know who it was straight away.

Most Ironic that in this modern culture of "brand building" we have ditched one of the most iconic badges in the history of sport the world over.

RIP Robert. 

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jack the Hat

His stars aligned the day he came up with that bad boy . Pure genius. I still draw it all the time when I’m bored. I don’t see why we can’t have two different ranges of sportswear. The new stuff with the new badge and a retro range with that badge. A bit like Adidas do with the new three stripe emblem and the old 3 leaf emblem. Let’s face it the retro stuff would fly off the shelves. Don’t hate the new stuff but next to the old stuff it’s bobbins.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

ReadingOwl always talks to me. 

I’m always nice to him.

I hope your old Mum is still doing ok Paul?

RIP Mr Walker by the way. I’d love your Owl back on our shirts.

Yes, she’s fine Simon. Spoke to her last night.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Typical of DC that a time when most clubs are simplifying their crests we go in the opposite direction!

Who needs an iconic badge with a simple, memorable design known by football fans the world over when we could have one of such generic blandness it's hard to actually recall it in any detail, try it!,  seemingly designed by a particularly untalented 12 year old. Thanks Mr Chansiri. Thanks a lot.

Other posters have described it as ironic that Chansiri wouldn't see its merits and cherish it as we do. It's not ironic. Nor is it unfortunate, or merely disappointing. It's quite simply typical of the total lack of understanding that he's shown in every other aspect of his running of our club. The new badge stands for everything we now are just is this one stood for what we were

Walker may have departed but he made his mark with something that is stylish and known around the globe.

It would be a fitting tribute if it was reinstated, particularly as it seems his is by far the most popular design we have had. I don't think I've seen anyone outside of the current boardroom who says they prefer the working men's club letterhead motif that we've got at the moment.

3 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

Never been away. Just cautious where I post. I like a hassle free life.

Dogs/Lighthouse/Beer/Wednesday/Maiden.

Had it all today. Glorious weather too.

But thanks for the sentiment.

Hey, are you actually on the coast mate? I’m living out at Highmoor now, no lighthouses here, but plenty of dog walks