If we moved to a new ground..

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Apartments built on a former football ground, boasting the heritage of that football club (I am refering to the Arsenal entrance) would simply be a no-no for most people. They would have limited sales appeal to only fans of that club. Do you think that there are any Spurs fans, of adult (mortgage/rent) age, living in those apartments? I very much doubt it. Could you imagine living in an apartment built at Bramall Lane - forgetting our own history there - with BLADVES painted on the outside?

It's like buying a pink car and sticking eyelashes on it!

Couldn't imagine living down Bramall Lane full stop.

It wasn't great when I did 45 years ago and I dont think its got much better.

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Apartments built on a former football ground, boasting the heritage of that football club (I am refering to the Arsenal entrance) would simply be a no-no for most people. They would have limited sales appeal to only fans of that club. Do you think that there are any Spurs fans, of adult (mortgage/rent) age, living in those apartments? I very much doubt it. Could you imagine living in an apartment built at Bramall Lane - forgetting our own history there - with BLADVES painted on the outside?

It's like buying a pink car and sticking eyelashes on it!

I was kinda suggesting that Wednesday fans would move into the old Hillsborough, not fans of other clubs

lol

Owlstalk Shop

If we move into a new stadium I can’t see anything other than the old stadium being torn down to be replaced by houses or apartments. 

The only other alternative may be to build

a new stadium in Hillsborough park and make the space where the old one was the new smaller park but I doubt the council would go for it and would probably receive many objections. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

It’s perhaps an age group thing, but, at this moment in time,  I really hope we don’t move in my lifetime.

Yes, the Old Lady is looking a bit worn around the edges and needs upgrading - and of course there’s still the stigma attached to the Leppings Lane - but I don’t see that as sufficient grounds to justify moving to a new ground. It’s not as though we need a bigger stadium to cope with the hordes descending on Hillsborough every match day.

I know a few West Ham fans - not at all pleased when the club moved from Upton Park - they say it’s just not the same, even though crowds are bigger. 

We wouldn’t even have the advantage of attracting bigger crowds at this moment in time

4 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

The only other alternative may be to build

a new stadium in Hillsborough park and make the space where the old one was the new smaller park but I doubt the council would go for it and would probably receive many objections. 

And rightly so, Hillsborough Park was gifted to the people of Sheffield,not swfc, Ya can't just ride rough shod over an open space and replace it with summat smaller, I'd be one of the first to object, and I live miles away from it. 

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

It’s perhaps an age group thing, but, at this moment in time,  I really hope we don’t move in my lifetime.

Yes, the Old Lady is looking a bit worn around the edges and needs upgrading - and of course there’s still the stigma attached to the Leppings Lane - but I don’t see that as sufficient grounds to justify moving to a new ground. It’s not as though we need a bigger stadium to cope with the hordes descending on Hillsborough every match day.

I know a few West Ham fans - not at all pleased when the club moved from Upton Park - they say it’s just not the same, even though crowds are bigger. 

We wouldn’t even have the advantage of attracting bigger crowds at this moment in time

I think West Ham is a bit of an anomaly because it wasn't built for football and its a shambles (although there was nothing soulless about a couple of EastEnders kicking poo out of a bloke who wouldn't stop annoying an old bloke in front of him)….Emirates and Tottenham are both fantastic new stadiums and within spitting distance of the old ground and closer in Tottenhams case.

I was all for revamping Hillsborough until a few years ago when I went to Madison Sq Garden and was blown away by it...….if we could build a slightly bigger version of that in Hillsborough Park I'd be up for that without question.

The point re Hillsborough Park being a gift to the people of Sheffield is a valid one but I don't think anyone is suggesting taking the whole of the park and giving the current Hillsborough footprint in return......another option would be to completely flatten Hillsborough and rebuild on the same site but making better use of the space and new construction techniques (a story or 2 down springs to mind as an instant win)

Which ever way we go (or not) people having a massive objection to a new ground is a bit strange.....are you all disappointed that we don't all still live in caves or are you like one of those families from the 30's who only move out of their parents house when another on the same street becomes available

For myself; if we did move;

it would have to be somewhere in S6 for me, it’s just the culture for me now on a Saturday before the games, go to the shakey for a few pints walk to the ground. I couldn’t imagine us been in a soulless bowl near Meadowhall for example. Yes hillsborough is run down, but it’s still got charm  

3 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

And rightly so, Hillsborough Park was gifted to the people of Sheffield,not swfc, Ya can't just ride rough shod over an open space and replace it with summat smaller, I'd be one of the first to object, and I live miles away from it. 

Yes it would receive many objections so that ones a no go. 

8 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Couldn't imagine living down Bramall Lane full stop.

It wasn't great when I did 45 years ago and I dont think its got much better.

It's got worse, trust me. I don't think anyone would want to live there now.

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I was kinda suggesting that Wednesday fans would move into the old Hillsborough, not fans of other clubs

lol

I know. Maybe I was over-thinking it (force of habit) and wondered what would happen if/when it was sold. Would a fan of another club want to buy there.

It's this bloody lockdown. It's sending me nuts. Well, more nuts than I am normally lol

17 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

How can you object to a planning application that doesn’t effect you? It would get looked AR and put in the bin 

13 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Hillsborough is totally soulless on match days, totally. We were on the TV recently and you could hear the programme seller over the noise of the crowd!!! 

That's down to the fans not the stadium ....the brighton game the place was absolutely  rocking  .

55 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

The 'soulless' comment always makes me smile and you can guarantee it will pop up as sure as night follows day. Hillsborough is totally soulless on match days, totally. We were on the TV recently and you could hear the programme seller over the noise of the crowd!!! 

The 'I love Hillsborough it just needs redeveloping' is also baffling. It's like Triggers new broom, we've had the same ground for a hundred years its just had eight new stands and 50 new pitches.  

I know people don't want to move for sentimental reasons but I just don't get it. Hillsborough is a run down relic in a poor location with rubbish transport links, crap facilities and has little or no chance of every generating any non match day income that is vital for a modern clubs revenue.

I've been going almost 50 years and wouldn't bat an eyelid at moving but I'm not sentimental about bricks and mortar. 

I couldn’t agree more.

Went to the wife’s works Xmas do a few years ago in a suite there, it was a poor experience. Yellow ceiling tiles, small bars long queue and pretty run down.

It was a section of the NHS’s party and they won’t return taking their business elsewhere.

With how modern technology has moved on in the last 10 years, Hillsborough is past the point of redevelopment. 

Edited by Mac_77