Football After Coronavirus

Guest Grez Bez

After the financial crisis of 2007 banks were forced to change and evidence they can survive big economic disasters. 

The impact of this disaster is across all industries - football included. 

Once we are able to move on there will be loads of change - for the better. 

• Like 1

Just now, twolaptops said:

People struggling for food unable to finance forward stock......................Players on £300k PER WEEK...........................do the maths..............obscene

Even madder when you consider the ordinary working man is paying out of his meagre wage to cheer them on....

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

Coronavirus seems to have highlighted (even further) that clubs are financially on edge, primarily due to their huge wage bills.

Barnet today made everyone apart from the players redundant and I expect more lower league clubs to do so in the coming months.

Will there be a realisation that this model is unsustainable and potentially lead to wage caps or a more managed cost book?

Could this be the bubble we've all been talking about for so many years and end up being a good thing for the sport?

Time will tell but it couldn’t be worse than it was pre covid -19

The economics of football are crazy and often obscene but It isn’t a religion it’s an entertainment business and those same issues are prevalent in many other sports and entertainments. If people are desperate for moral and spiritual guidance they may be better served attending a church. 

Id like to think that the experience of playing behind closed doors will give way to a greater appreciation from clubs and governing bodies for the supporters. We are what makes football what it is. But I wont hold my breath. I expect it will end up being like nothing ever happened.  

20 hours ago, Bannofan said:

As Reading says, if the SKY money was distributed more generously outside the Premier League, then there wouldn't be the ' £100 million ' game which the Championship play off final is. 

It may be an over simplification , and I know that greedy owners at lower levels need to be sorted out as well, but we need to stop clubs going out of business for the sake of a Premier League players weekly pay packet. 

Our problems as a club are solely because of the Premier League and money. We went for an owner with money but no knowledge of the game and look where that has got us. Personally, I thought this ever since I had a weird feeling of relief as I walked to the train station after losing to Hull in the play off final ..that I don't want SWFC to be part of that circus.

Before more money goes tumbling into the coffers of lower league clubs there needs to be stringent safeguarding against clubs just haemorrhaging it on payers wages

That's what has brought most clubs to the brink of oblivion and unless it gets sorted then nothing will change

Guest Grez Bez

A couple of things need to change for me but I know they never will.

- Player wages need to be a much smaller % of a clubs income. IE: A club can spend a Max of 25% of their income on players (including bonuses)

Clubs need to be limited to how many professional players they have. IE: a maximum of 30 professionals in any club. This allows players to play down the league whilst reducing the wage bills.

- Neither of these are perfect and we know the challenges of FFP already but something needs to change

Not only football but the wider world has lost any sense of community and togetherness. I hope we get a tiny bit of that back.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 18:01, ReadingOwl said:

The world will have changed after this, not just football?

Hopefully for the better - not just demand driven, perpetual consumption and, therefore we can all have a more sustainable life.

Many Clubs won’t survive I suspect - but hopefully with what’s left, we can get back to it being a sport.

Hopefully - this stay, can allow a complete reset.

Football has become a monster that is eating itself.

We all need to get our priorities right - including sport/football.

If the world doesn't change and learn from this crisis, then we have gained nothing.

Forcing people to work from home, where practical, has seen the considerable reduction in traffic jams, especially at rush hour. With the government committed to reducing carbon emissions, this is a golden opportunity to make home working a permanent feature in order to reduce carbon emissions on a fairly large scale. The technology of video conferencing works well - I have had more video conferences in the past couple of weeks than face to face meetings all year. It also saves hours driving to and from meetings especially in the south-east, where I waste six or seven hours of a working day travelling to and from a meeting that lasts an hour.

Suddenly, there is far less traffic as more people use video conferencing meaning fewer multiple cars per households, because you no longer face a daily commute, and less public transport. We will no longer need the massively expensive HS2 mainly because the money saved by binning HS2 can be taken out of the economy to accommodate some of the huge additional spending being introduced now to protect the economy.

Subsequently, your boss says "Why am I paying millions to keep an expensive office block serviced and manned when everyone now works from home?". City Centre premises close as a result because many employees now work in virtual offices. London property prices tank for a few years as people relocate to the rest of the country.

Finally, having workforces distributed by home working at the outset will limit the impact of another coronavirus outbreak (like SARS, MERS and COVID-19) and enable medical services to keep up with any further outbreaks probably before they become epidemic or pandemic. This will be seen as an attractive benefit of keeping the workforce in separate locations - sort of a "cloud workforce".

The whole social landscape will change again as a result, including football and spectator sport in general. People will probably be spending more time at home and will get even more used to interaction with the outside world via technology. "Virtual stadiums" might one day become a reality as the technology continues to improve. Maybe fifty years from now, as the limitations of bricks and mortar and flesh and blood are stripped away, the stars of football and sport in general will be avatars rather than real players?

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 18:40, @owlstalk said:

I think after this Coronavirus thing, that many of us will be looking to live simpler lives with an outlook totally changed by the need of humans in general to stick by each other.

Makes things like Brexit and attacking the BBC look extremely petty

Let's hope we all learn to be better as humans..

Together

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 10.26.11.png

24 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

If the world doesn't change and learn from this crisis, then we have gained nothing.

Forcing people to work from home, where practical, has seen the considerable reduction in traffic jams, especially at rush hour. With the government committed to reducing carbon emissions, this is a golden opportunity to make home working a permanent feature in order to reduce carbon emissions on a fairly large scale. The technology of video conferencing works well - I have had more video conferences in the past couple of weeks than face to face meetings all year. It also saves hours driving to and from meetings especially in the south-east, where I waste six or seven hours of a working day travelling to and from a meeting that lasts an hour.

Suddenly, there is far less traffic as more people use video conferencing meaning fewer multiple cars per households, because you no longer face a daily commute, and less public transport. We will no longer need the massively expensive HS2 mainly because the money saved by binning HS2 can be taken out of the economy to accommodate some of the huge additional spending being introduced now to protect the economy.

Subsequently, your boss says "Why am I paying millions to keep an expensive office block serviced and manned when everyone now works from home?". City Centre premises close as a result because many employees now work in virtual offices. London property prices tank for a few years as people relocate to the rest of the country.

Finally, having workforces distributed by home working at the outset will limit the impact of another coronavirus outbreak (like SARS, MERS and COVID-19) and enable medical services to keep up with any further outbreaks probably before they become epidemic or pandemic. This will be seen as an attractive benefit of keeping the workforce in separate locations - sort of a "cloud workforce".

The whole social landscape will change again as a result, including football and spectator sport in general. People will probably be spending more time at home and will get even more used to interaction with the outside world via technology. "Virtual stadiums" might one day become a reality as the technology continues to improve. Maybe fifty years from now, as the limitations of bricks and mortar and flesh and blood are stripped away, the stars of football and sport in general will be avatars rather than real players?

fantastic post!

makes me feel hopeful for the world you describe

Owlstalk Shop