Football After Coronavirus

Guest Grez Bez

Guest Grez Bez

Coronavirus seems to have highlighted (even further) that clubs are financially on edge, primarily due to their huge wage bills.

Barnet today made everyone apart from the players redundant and I expect more lower league clubs to do so in the coming months.

Will there be a realisation that this model is unsustainable and potentially lead to wage caps or a more managed cost book?

Could this be the bubble we've all been talking about for so many years and end up being a good thing for the sport?

The world will have changed after this, not just football?

Hopefully for the better - not just demand driven, perpetual consumption and, therefore we can all have a more sustainable life.

Many Clubs won’t survive I suspect - but hopefully with what’s left, we can get back to it being a sport.

Hopefully - this stay, can allow a complete reset.

Football has become a monster that is eating itself.

We all need to get our priorities right - including sport/football.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Coronavirus seems to have highlighted (even further) that clubs are financially on edge, primarily due to their huge wage bills.

Barnet today made everyone apart from the players redundant and I expect more lower league clubs to do so in the coming months.

Will there be a realisation that this model is unsustainable and potentially lead to wage caps or a more managed cost book?

Could this be the bubble we've all been talking about for so many years and end up being a good thing for the sport?

I certainly hope so mate - it's needed

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

The only clubs appearing to be on the edge are League one/two/National league teams,they don't stand a chance while ever prem teams pocket millions upon millions of pounds just for being in the "best marketed league" in the world,when its said " there's too much money in football",i'll pretty  much guarantee its not aimed at the Leagues mentioned,and whilst i'm here,there has only been one ex prem player so far to give any thought at all to the leagues mentioned and what may/could/might happen........................................f-----g disgraceful attitude by the boys at the top.

Edited by BARMYARMY2010
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Hopefully for the better - not just demand driven, perpetual consumption and, therefore we can all have a more sustainable life.

Many Clubs won’t survive I suspect - but hopefully with what’s left, we can get back to it being a sport.

I am convinced very little will change once  this is all over - the human race will revert to type. Sad but true :sad:

2 minutes ago, Spookone said:

I am convinced very little will change once  this is all over - the human race will revert to type. Sad but true :sad:

This virus - climate change - football.

I think you’re right - we will end up eating ourselves.

Most of it is caused by selfishness and greed by the developed world. A sense of entitlement.

Selfish consumption needs addressing. Including in sport.

We have to hope that things can change - but like you, I’m not overly optimistic.

• Like 1

Modern football is grotesque and this will hopefully press the reset button

Just hope SKY take a massive hit so the obscene amounts of money in the premier league will finally end

Out of this horrible situation it’s hopefully going to change our broken game once and for all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horny owl said:

Just hope SKY take a massive hit so the obscene amounts of money in the premier league will finally end

Out of this horrible situation it’s hopefully going to change our broken game once and for all

You can’t really blame Sky.

It’s how the money is distributed - that is the problem.

The top Clubs have a monopoly and have no desire to transform.

Neither do their respective fans BTW.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, horny owl said:

this situation won’t make one bit of difference if most of are clubs are still run by greedy chairmen 

Sky losing out has nothing whatsoever to do with anything 

1 minute ago, torres said:

this situation won’t make one bit of difference if most of are clubs are still run by greedy chairmen 

Sky losing out has nothing whatsoever to do with anything 

But surely the whole point is greedy people chasing the holy grail of Sky millions

8 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Let's hope so for football's sake because change needs to happen and happen quickly or otherwise L1 and L2  plus the NL will be decimated by so many clubs going bust..:tango:

8 minutes ago, horny owl said:

But surely the whole point is greedy people chasing the holy grail of Sky millions

Yes I agree to an extent, but the troubles with the modern game (in our county) fall at the feet of our clubs not Sky itself 

I think after this Coronavirus thing, that many of us will be looking to live simpler lives with an outlook totally changed by the need of humans in general to stick by each other.

Makes things like Brexit and attacking the BBC look extremely petty

Let's hope we all learn to be better as humans..

Together

Owlstalk Shop

44 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I think we’d all like to think so but I’m not so sure.