1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Borner wsn't exactly "Having a mare was he?...He was part of a defence that was holding one of the best teams in Europe to 0-0 at half time...

Did Lees improve that?

Did he f.ook....he looked nervy all the time he was on

I thought his positioning and passing were poor tonight, did I not end by saying that I didn't agree with his substitutions, or did you miss that bit,

it's at the end, have another look.

36 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

We have a squad that is capable of doing better than it currently is.

That's the bottom line. Monks tactics are uninspiring, his substitutions are appalling and his overall game management beggars belief.

I dont enjoy watching paint dry. But I'm watching paint dry while we whimper and slide down the league.

The decline since being 3rd at Xmas cannot just be explained by Fletcher being injured

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Spot on because we can get rid of Monk easily and replace him with the next one, then the next one. 

It needs a strategic plan from the Chairman but a bit like Monks tactics if Plan A (lob money at it failed) then where is the convincing Plan B.

Without that input we won't go anywhere beyond OT slagging off the players or the manager

Its just a deflection policy on here week after week. Match after match.

Ive never rated Monk, but that’s an easy call now. But what do/did, I know - he could have been a success? At this particular Club - notwithstanding his history.

The right man at the right time. The right fit at the right Club.

But he doesn’t even have his own backroom staff here, his own confidantes, his own loyalties.

He doesn’t stand a chance here. We are just treading water.

The Club has to make the right appointment and give him the right tools and support.

Will the next appointment get it? No doubt someone else will be daft enough to take on the job.

I can’t wait to see how his C.V stacks up.

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I agree he's a better footballer, but this gameplan wouldn't have suited Nuhiu apart from a few times from set pieces, which didn't happen much. We needed a bit of movement and the potential at least to get in behind them, although that was rare as well. Obviously we created little, but I don't think the strategy should be considered a drastic failure. They are obviously way better than us and at least we kept them having to play until the end instead of getting humiliated.

We had no outlet due to being too deep ... yeah it's Man City and they're brilliant in full flow and a joy to watch but I think Nuhiu would have at least held the ball on occasions to help us get forward.

I admit I've got a deep dislike for Monk which probably clouds my judgement a bit ... I'm totally against the manager and his mind numbing tactics.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Monk can't win If we had lost 3 nil plus. Then Monk would have took a right kicking on here 'why didn't we set up tighter in defence'.

If had set up for attack then City would have had a field day. 

He is a counter attacker and with City's midfield , that was exposed. We did not look capable of attacking.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Monk can't win If we had lost 3 nil plus. Then Monk would have took a right kicking on here 'why didn't we set up tighter in defence'.

If had set up for attack then City would have had a field day. 

Not going to slate him the tactical approach tonight. Most would have taken the score being 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go. It would have been nice to push on more in the closing stages but many were out on their backsides and it isn't as easy as just wanting to do it against a side like that.

What I will say though is that if you can get the players to play to a plan and keep it respectable against a side like that, you shouldn't be so tactically inept in league games against the opposition we have faced recently and even be beaten by half time at home on more than one occasion.  

7 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I thought his positioning and passing were poor tonight, did I not end by saying that I didn't agree with his substitutions, or did you miss that bit,

it's at the end, have another look.

I have looked...In no way was Borner having a mare....

1 minute ago, erowl said:

We had no outlet due to being too deep ... yeah it's Man City and they're brilliant in full flow and a joy to watch but I think Nuhiu would have at least held the ball on occasions to help us get forward.

I admit I've got a deep dislike for Monk which probably clouds my judgement a bit ... I'm totally against the manager and his mind numbing tactics.

We kept launching the ball long to relieve pressure (and I think at times to try and get something in behind them) and Nuhiu simply isn't suited to that. If he's playing target man he needs things to be in his vicinity as he's got so little scope for chasing around. Even if he had gained possession he would have had very little chance of keeping it as at most he would have had one colleague nearby. And he's certainly not going to take it on himself and outrun them all. 

Under the circumstances I don't think Monk's tactics were that bad tonight. Although I can't say I agreed with the first couple of substitutions unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Not going to slate him the tactical approach tonight. Most would have taken the score being 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go. It would have been nice to push on more in the closing stages but many were out on their backsides and it isn't as easy as just wanting to do it against a side like that.

What I will say though is that if you can get the players to play to a plan and keep it respectable against a side like that, you shouldn't be so tactically inept in league games against the opposition we have faced recently and even be beaten by half time at home on more than one occasion.  

Can't argue with any of that. 

I would love to know his reasoning for his substitutions. Just baffles me at times and he seems to like Joey.

Maybe he has a squad who don't have the same footballing mentality as he does and they are on a different wavelength.  And he needs more players in the squad who are his 'Players'.

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

What an awful thread.

Somebody will be along soon to say they would rather have had a go and  lost 7-0 .

Funnily enough, it's not that long ago that we went to City in a cup competition and lost 1-7 and people were moaning that we didn't try to contain them more.

Often football supporters think the panacea is anything that the team is not doing, even if it's precisely what they were slagging them off for doing the week before.

I agree with Monk, we had a game plan, it nearly worked apart from a partial offside goal against a descent team.. From what he's saying i reckon he'd have brought Dave on in last 10 mins at nil nil in game plan. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Often football supporters think the panacea is anything that the team is not doing, even if it's precisely what they were slagging them off for doing the week before.

It’s a bit like that other phenomenon- our saviour is always the player that is injured/dropped/substituted.

They always play better when they are not on the pitch.

Its never a marginal gain, either.