Set us up well. We needed fessi to chase and harass. Da Cruz added a bit of height and pace without offering as much as Fletcher nor being as static as Nuhiu. We were solid and actually looked quite comfortable albeit looking weak at set pieces. 

Substitutions:

Borner off for Lees. 

Got to assume this was an injury. Whilst borner wasn't playing top of his game, his performance wasn't sufficient to warrant hooking at half time.

If it wasn't, then I have no idea what Monk was doing wasting a sub and changing the back four dynamic. I dont think it was a surprise that at the start of the second half we looked rattled and conceded. 

Forestieri off for Fletcher.

Madness. Fessi was playing a lot, lot better than Da Cruz. We lost energy and we ended up carrying Da Cruz for pretty much all of the second half. 

Lee for hunt. 

Forced but actually improved our balance and energy.

Game management:

Solid first half. 

0-1 at 75 minutes and we are sitting as deep as anytime in the game with no high press. 2 substitutions used (unless for injury) in bizarre ways reducing our overall energy with zero attempt to take the game to city.

Very underwhelming. 

Overall:

Overall tactically we were ok but utterly uninspiring. The substitutions and the lack of impetus toward the end of the second half were baffling. We went down without so much as a sniff of taking the fight to city.

5/10 - maybe we'll scrape a few draws while avoiding (hopefully) relegation. 

I’m no fan of Monk.

But it’s not surprising he’s failing. He’s been set up to fail.

What support does he receive?

His own backroom staff? Senior Pro’s?

What remit was he given by the Chairman? Survival? Play attacking football?

Anything?

Under current conditions it’s hard to see anyone succeeding at the Club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

I’m no fan of Monk.

Anything?

We have a squad that is capable of doing better than it currently is.

That's the bottom line. Monks tactics are uninspiring, his substitutions are appalling and his overall game management beggars belief.

I dont enjoy watching paint dry. But I'm watching paint dry while we whimper and slide down the league.

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I’m no fan of Monk.

Anything?

Point taken Reading...But the Foresteiri substitution was bordering on senseless...Da Cruz was Da cruising...lee was running on virtually empty...Bring fletch on by all means, but taking FF off took away what little threat we had...Sod respectable scorelines..Its the FA cup...

I’m no fan of Monk.

Anything?

I don't think Monk has any idea how to play attacking football. He must have relied on Clotet and Beattie at Brum to do the attacking side.

Here his assistant is bleedin Bullen who is as clueless offensively as Monk is. It is a joke of a pairing and one that will never succeed.

Subs/tactically are also not showing to be Monk's strength, showed by the farcical decision taking Fessi off over Da Cruz. It isn't looking like Monk has many strengths at all unforunately, make a change DC and stop this relegation battle we will be heading into.

2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

We have a squad that is capable of doing better than it currently is.

That's the bottom line. Monks tactics are uninspiring, his substitutions are appalling and his overall game management beggars belief.

I dont enjoy watching paint dry. But I'm watching paint dry while we whimper and slide down the league.

I actually don't think the squad can do much better than it is. We've finished mid table 2 years in a row. Certain players have actually declined since then and due to embargos we've not been able to add much quality for a few years. We've not produced much from our development team. 

We are what we are. We certainly lack effort and commitment at times. But I can't see how, in the context of the Championship, that this team is a play off contender. 

Food that's past it's best doesn't suddenly come good again. 

This is the medium term impact of our complete mismanagement of the squad from the top down. If people can't see that then they will always sit their expecting this group of players to acheive the same results as 2015-17. 

We never built on success. We stagnated and regressed. Monk is the latest to try and pick up the pieces. If it wasn't him it'd be someone else feeling the heat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I actually don't think the squad can do much better than it is. We've finished mid table 2 years in a row. Certain players have actually declined since then and due to embargos we've not been able to add much quality for a few years. We've not produced much from our development team. 

We are what we are. We certainly lack effort and commitment at times. But I can't see how, in the context of the Championship, that this team is a play off contender. 

And yet we were 3rd heading into Christmas and now are in relegation form? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme of a dip in form to you.

The team spirit and confidence is totally gone. And that comes down to the manager, he has to go. They aren't playing for him, its very clear.

Edited by swfc-dan

7 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Fessi off for Fletcher baffled me. 

Who the fluck was going to get the ball to him ? 

Starting the game with no strikers on the pitch was bizarre 

10 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I’m no fan of Monk.

Anything?

So those first 2 subs were down to all of that...

Right.

Quite unbelievable how far people will go to apologise for Monk’s continually awful record of team selections and substitutions 

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Point taken Reading...But the Foresteiri substitution was bordering on senseless...Da Cruz was Da cruising...lee was running on virtually empty...Bring fletch on by all means, but taking FF off took away what little threat we had...Sod respectable scorelines..Its the FA cup...

Im no fan of his. Never have been. His appointment didn’t fill me with hope, as his past C.V wasn’t anything special.

But my knowledge is limited.

However, my point was that Monk, singularly, can’t tackle this job. He needs a good Chairman, good staff and good Senior players.

Otherwise he will fail. And, is failing.

With regard to Forestieri, I have no idea. Unless he was saving him for league time - but on that basis, I wouldn’t have brought Fletcher on either, if I was concentrating on the League.

Not a big fan of Monk - he’s looking to be a very poor choice. But,  under the current context, I’m not sure what the alternative is.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Starting the game with no strikers on the pitch was bizarre 

Considering the options we had, I could see the logic of going with Forestieri and Da Cruz. It gave us the slightest glimpse of mobility and creativity that we could muster if Fletcher is still not fully fit. Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes would not have made mych of a difference really would they?

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

And yet we were 3rd heading into Christmas and now are in relegation form? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme of a dip in form to you.

The team spirit and confidence is totally gone. And that comes down to the manager, he has to go.

Look,  I wouldn't be sad to see Monk go. We've clearly been poo this year. BUT, where does that leave us? 2 months left. 10 games. To find and implement a manager in that short term gap. To then go into a summer where catastrophic change to the squad is going to happen. 10-15 players leaving and 10+ needed to replace them. How can a manager have a chance of building a half decent squad with that little time? If we fail to rebuild correctly this summer it could set us back several more years. Its massively worrying but I don't think anyone has anywhere near the conditions to be a successful manager here at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

So those first 2 subs were down to all of that...

Right.

Quite unbelievable how far people will go to apologise for Monk’s continually awful record of team selections and substitutions 

Why were Boner and Forestieri substituted?

Why arent Westwood and Hutchinson available?

What goal has the Chairman set for Monk?

I don’t know, do you?

Why were Boner and Forestieri substituted?

Why arent Westwood and Hutchinson available?

What goal has the Chairman set for Monk?

I don’t know, do you?

Well the subs certainly weren’t anything to do with the excuses you posted.

He was a great manager when we were third and a handcuffed manager now we’re dogger

7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Look,  I wouldn't be sad to see Monk go. We've clearly been poo this year. BUT, where does that leave us? 2 months left. 10 games. To find and implement a manager in that short term gap. To then go into a summer where catastrophic change to the squad is going to happen. 10-15 players leaving and 10+ needed to replace them. How can a manager have a chance of building a half decent squad with that little time? If we fail to rebuild correctly this summer it could set us back several more years. Its massively worrying but I don't think anyone has anywhere near the conditions to be a successful manager here at the moment. 

Has Monk shown you any signs that he should be the man to make these huge changes in the summer? Can you really trust him given the uninspiring loan signings, poor man management, rock bottom team morale/confidence, falling out with players, and clueless tactical decisions?

I am scared shitless of how badly Monk could screw things up in the summer should we stick with him. We shouldn't still go down so we absolutely need to find another manager who actually has promise and fans can see he has a plan. Even if we went down but could see a clear plan would be preferable to seeing Monk potentially royally roger up things in the summer. There are enough very poor teams that we shouldn't go down anyway though, so it's time to decide is Monk really up for this job??? All the signs are saying no.

Edited by swfc-dan