Got to take the positives out of that.

10 hours ago, Watto said:

I thought we were pitiful going forward , we were scared to death of City and we lacked any confidence , dint think we layed a glove on them for 95% if the game , true it was only 1-0 but could so easily have been much much more if city had taken their chances.

To be fair we were scared of Derby, so no surprise that they were scared of city

6 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

ill Agree to disagree on this. I honestly don’t think it’s about quality. You see smaller teams go and take it to big clubs. Bradford did it to Chelsea a few years back. They didn’t have the quality but played without any fear.

im sorry but I disagree with the confidence but too. That’s so unfair on the fans who pay good money to watch to say... I rather lose 1-0, not go for it than lose 4-0 and give it ago! That’s such A defeatist attitude. 

Think if we went for it we could have been 3 down after 30 mins again.
Think our tactics were to defend in numbers, keep our shape and trying get something on a breakaway or set piece. Tactics I thought were spot on apart from the quality of our set pieces.

23 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if we went for it we could have been 3 down after 30 mins again.
Think our tactics were to defend in numbers, keep our shape and trying get something on a breakaway or set piece. Tactics I thought were spot on apart from the quality of our set pieces.

Im not saying all game! I’m talking about the last 20 minutes! 

4 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Im not saying all game! I’m talking about the last 20 minutes! 

I don't think we could get the ball of them!!
I did think Fletcher was going to get on the end of that low cross in front of the Kop near the end, Lee Chapman would have headed in no problem.

26 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think we could get the ball of them!!
I did think Fletcher was going to get on the end of that low cross in front of the Kop near the end, Lee Chapman would have headed in no problem.

If that went in I’d have eaten my words lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

For me, we may as well have lost 5-0 and gone for it.

Only Iorfa, Palmer, Murphy and Wildsmith came out of the game with any credit - the rest looked out their depth. 

Of course they looked out of their depth against Man City. That's because we, all the championship and half the premier league are out of their depth against them.

Yes occasionally a minow can beat one of the elite ( eg Watford v Liverpool ), but in general no chance.

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

For me, we may as well have lost 5-0 and gone for it.

Only Iorfa, Palmer, Murphy and Wildsmith came out of the game with any credit - the rest looked out their depth. 

Yep go for it against one of the best teams in the world and get ripped to shreds. Embarrassed on live TV and further ruin the confidence of this already fragile squad.

Instead we only lost by 1 goal and didn’t disgrace ourselves. You’ve got to be focused against a team as dangerous as City and I think we performed admirably. 

My gripe is why can’t we take that attitude, focus and concentration into league games. 

19 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Of course they looked out of their depth against Man City. That's because we, all the championship and half the premier league are out of their depth against them.

Yes occasionally a minow can beat one of the elite ( eg Watford v Liverpool ), but in general no chance.

Iorfa didn’t look out of his depth and he cost approx £200k and is prob on a far less wage than a lot of em - so what’s the others excuse? 

1 minute ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

The one major fault led inadvertently to the goal. Free kick 25 yards out, ideal to put a ball in. FF decides to take it quick with not many forward.

Playing like we did you have to make use of any dead ball situations. That one was crap and a minute later they scored.

Also at the same time Mr Bannan was still laid on the floor posing for the cameras instead of getting up and gerrin on wit game.

30 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep go for it against one of the best teams in the world and get ripped to shreds. Embarrassed on live TV and further ruin the confidence of this already fragile squad.

Instead we only lost by 1 goal and didn’t disgrace ourselves. You’ve got to be focused against a team as dangerous as City and I think we performed admirably. 

My gripe is why can’t we take that attitude, focus and concentration into league games. 

I can remember us beating an excellent Arsenal team not that long ago taking the game to them. 

Far too many excuses, IMO. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

I can remember us beating an excellent Arsenal team not that long ago taking the game to them. 

Not saying your right or wrong, but the team that beat Arsenal would run rings round this one.

3 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

ill Agree to disagree on this. I honestly don’t think it’s about quality. You see smaller teams go and take it to big clubs. Bradford did it to Chelsea a few years back. They didn’t have the quality but played without any fear.

im sorry but I disagree with the confidence but too. That’s so unfair on the fans who pay good money to watch to say... I rather lose 1-0, not go for it than lose 4-0 and give it ago! That’s such A defeatist attitude. 

Exactly, it’s more about attitude and how you set up/ the mindset you approach it. 

Completely disagree, and that performance sums up absolutely everything wrong with how Monk is setting his teams up.

City are a fantastic side but far from invincible and miles behind Liverpool in the league. The only reason he kept the score civil is because we played a flat back 9, we would have been hit for 7 at the Etihad. 

We’ve seen championship and lower league teams give premier league opposition real tests at home. If the Shrewsbury’s and Rochdale’s of this world can do it then I’m perfectly sure we can.

Monk is akin to Jos. Bruce or Carlos would have made more of a fist of it last night 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

That City side was far better than that Arsenal side.

And our side 5 years ago is better than our side now. 

1 hour ago, meggoisgod said:

Seriously I wouldn't be bothered...laughed it off like the rest of this season

To not have a go was cowardly

Utter crap.

It was a game plan which is something that people on here have been decrying a lack of this season. 

Defend and try to hit them on the break. Only problem was city were too good and we couldn't get hold of the ball.