Got to take the positives out of that.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

I’d love to take the positives out of it and take it into next week.. however I know we won’t. We are so up and down. Although we defended well.. I think we should have gone for it in last 30min. No point defending for 90 mins of your never gunna threaten there goal. 

It would have been nice to have a go in last 20 minutes but unfortunately there was not enough quality on the pitch to enable us to do this.

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

It would have been nice to have a go in last 20 minutes but unfortunately there was not enough quality on the pitch to enable us to do this.

Plus they had too much quality, when we got the free kick near end it was unbelievable how high up pitch there backline was. 

I think we was in shock and didn't know what to do with it. 

Guest LittleG
43 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

I'm guessing Luongo and Reach are feeling positive there's 2 spots for them as soon as they're fit because the rest of the midfield are so poor - bar a hard-working Kieran Lee. Hope he's not going into our injury books too now!

Lee might have worked hard but his passing was terrible.

I thought we were pitiful going forward , we were scared to death of City and we lacked any confidence , dint think we layed a glove on them for 95% if the game , true it was only 1-0 but could so easily have been much much more if city had taken their chances.

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Personally I think more positives than negatives tonight: 

- Kept the result respectful, I’m sure game plan be keep it tight and try and nick one

- Iorfa is a man mountain! If we play him CB every week he’s a star in the making

- Hunt looked decent 

- Lees, despite a rocky start seemed to gain confidence as game went on

Anyone disappointed with tonight can’t be watching us week in week out! Even our limited attacking was better tonight in first 20 and last 10mins than it has been for at least half a dozen games this season against vastly superior opposition. 

I thought Iorfa and Wildsmith played well overall but both will be disappointed with the goal. A player of Aguero's ability should be afforded the space to have the left-back roll the ball into his feet from 15 yards away and then have time to turn and shot in the box. Wildsmith should do better with the save.

That said, 1-0 is hardly a disaster against them considering our recent results ans performances. They were bound to have more of the ball and create chances, the players stuck at it and while it was disappointing we didn't give it more of a push at the end, they looked knackered and I'm sure Monk would have liked an attacking substitution near the end but injuries denied him that.

However, we have been here before. Last Wednesday's performance was an encouraging one but that went out of the window within half an hour at the weekend. 

36 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Plus they had too much quality, when we got the free kick near end it was unbelievable how high up pitch there backline was. 

I think we was in shock and didn't know what to do with it. 

That's confidence in your ability and belief in what you are doing. Their line was halfway inside their own half. Most sides in the Championship would drop back into the penalty area in a situation like that - we drop back towards the 6-yard box! 

7 hours ago, LittleG said:

For me it’s not about having the quality. Just push up more and close down more. That doesn’t require ability.. I just wanted to see Some willingness to win and score 

For me it’s not about having the quality. Just push up more and close down more. That doesn’t require ability.. I just wanted to see Some willingness to win and score 

I agree with what your saying there and I think in the Championship that is what I'd expect from us. To press and hassle, play with urgency etc. However, it would have been playing in to City's hands if we'd tried to play like that last night.

Guest LittleG

Pushing up more would only have left us more vulnerable and still wouldn't have resulted in us being able to have a go. They keep the ball so well and have dominated possession with a lot of teams. Look at their front six and compare to ours. Unfortunately because of the gigantic difference in quality our game plan was to limit the score. 

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

I agree with what your saying there and I think in the Championship that is what I'd expect from us. To press and hassle, play with urgency etc. However, it would have been playing in to City's hands if we'd tried to play like that last night.

Yeah I understand you can’t do that all game, but when your 1-0 down in last 20 minutes...just have a good go. Push men up field. If we concede 3 goal in last 20, it doesn’t matter.. but at least go for it. A 1-0 defeat is no different to a 4-0 defeat in a knock out competition.

1 hour ago, LittleG said:

Pushing up more would only have left us more vulnerable and still wouldn't have resulted in us being able to have a go. They keep the ball so well and have dominated possession with a lot of teams. Look at their front six and compare to ours. Unfortunately because of the gigantic difference in quality our game plan was to limit the score. 

What’s point in limiting the score? You don’t get anything more for only losing 1-0 apposed to losing 4-0. I’m not saying go for it all game, but last 20 minutes, push men forward. I don’t care if we lose by a massive score line. Our game plan should have gone out of window for last 20 as it clearly wasn’t going to get us a goal. 

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

What’s point in limiting the score? You don’t get anything more for only losing 1-0 apposed to losing 4-0. I’m not saying go for it all game, but last 20 minutes, push men forward. I don’t care if we lose by a massive score line. Our game plan should have gone out of window for last 20 as it clearly wasn’t going to get us a goal. 

Like i said before we haven't got enough quality on the pitch to go for it. I'm also sure it must have helped the players confidence to only lose 1-0, so I do think there is a benefit to not getting thrashed.

No shame at all in losing 1-0 to a side that has won something like 8 out of last 9 domestic trophies.

Players have deserved stick for some of the putrid performances lately but not last night.

All I ask is for the side to be organised, competitive and put a shift in which we did last night.

ill Agree to disagree on this. I honestly don’t think it’s about quality. You see smaller teams go and take it to big clubs. Bradford did it to Chelsea a few years back. They didn’t have the quality but played without any fear.

im sorry but I disagree with the confidence but too. That’s so unfair on the fans who pay good money to watch to say... I rather lose 1-0, not go for it than lose 4-0 and give it ago! That’s such A defeatist attitude. 

• Thanks 1