Stop blaming the players - it’s Monk

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Now I understand your condescending air of smug superiority. It was bugging me where it came from but now the pieces fall into place. Be careful fanboy that surface assuredness may mask deep anxieties. 

Actually that just stems from naturally being better than everyone else.

:cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You have to wonder how we briefly managed to be third in the table. Even when we were getting good results there was always the feeling that it was fortunate and couldn't last.

6 season ticket holders i go with were all saying we couldn't believe we were 3rd as we were awful. I had neutral fans at work saying to me that Monk was doing a good job and i was saying we are in a false position as we were truly, truly awful.

12 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Agree. We conceded first yesterday and then utterly cacked our pants for next 30 minutes which is what led to those two individual errors. 

The mistakes yesterday were like watching replays of home games under Jos. 

Norwich

WBA

Boro

They waltz thru our defence at will, but there’s a few common denominators:

Tom Lees

Full backs who dive in

Slow midfielders who can’t track back

Slow midfielders who cant tackle

Slow midfielders who can’t be arsed

A keeper and defensive group who often seem uncoordinated 

So, do we have a defensive coach ? 

Why is Bullen still here ?

I see no point in bringing in a new coach who has to work with the same tools that failed previous incumbents of the role.

And whilst some will say Bruce would take this squad up, he had his chance last season, but it didn’t happen.

And no, I don’t think Monk is doing a good job, but I reckon it’s harder than he imagined.

I get sick of the arguments about what's wrong. It seems that the most important thing to Owlstalk is to prove who is right and wrong about what's happened.

It's not.

The most important thing is to stop the slump.

And as much as people may want to see it differently Chansiri isnt going anywhere.

The players are the ones who will be wearing the shirt for the rest of the season. 

That's the reality. 

So in the real world suggesting what can be done to change the way it's going is the only thing that's worth hearing.

There is only one card to play and that's to change the bloke who cant motivate the players, plays a crap brand of football, is tactically inept and is picking a different formation of the team every week through desperation not strategy. 

Theres only one option in the real world. He's done.

Guest Theboylangers
10 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

There's no simple fix here.

The majority of the expensive players (except for Rhodes) were bought in 2016 or whist we were under a soft embargo.

The one area where we haven't added any strength or quality is midfield. EVERY midfield that has come to Hillsborough this season has been better than ours. No midfield = no forward progression and no defensive protection. We have no midfield and in Baz we have a good player that tries to play a worldy pass with every ball...once or twice it has come off. Our midfield doesn't pass their way around other midfields, other midfields do with us.

Our issues

Lees isn't a captain (never has been) and he's lost his nerve now.

Lee used to be box to box magnificent but he's not in the game for 80% of the time.

Baz cannot boss any player he comes up against

Fox and Palmer are ok and would look better in a better team.

Dawson panics and flaps and makes his defence nervous.

We have no real quality, pace or goal scoring threat...

12th is about right for this squad...Monk can't change that until the summer.

I'm one of the 12,000 that hasn't yet renewed their season ticket...maybe DC will get the message sooner or later.

Excellent post. 

13 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Monk could have Liverpool’s squad and it would go wrong. 

He has blasted the players for mistakes and lack of effort time and time again. Many fans have lapped this up - evident yesterday with chants of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” echoing round Hillsborough. 

Of course players have good days and bad days and they make mistakes. But for me the manager has to take full responsibility for our current position. The players look lost. They are frustrated at the tactics. 

They aren’t performing because they are trying to make a broken formula work. 

You could argue Monk has had a bad deal without his own coaching team but we were warned about this happening by fans of other clubs. 

The situation has become critical and Monk has to go. These players confidence is shot and they need someone with new ideas and fresh energy to fix it. 

Monk out! 

I agree, Monk out. His so-called tactics have confused players and fans. He doesn't seem what to do except blame the players. If we lose 12 points by deduction we are in real trouble as we will bottom or close to.

14 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

For me the players and Monk both deserve blame. Selling us well short. 

And DC too. Inept clueless lack of leadership. We're a shambles on and off the pitch, which we have been ever since Wembley. Monk was an underwhelming appointment after Bruce, like Jos and Carlos were too but unlike Bruce and Carlos, he's never even got top 6 or won anything. His reputation was poor, apart from at Swansea, before he even came here. DC never learns from mistakes, he's slow to act and apart from Bruce, his appointments have been as strange as his schemes.

We're appearing as directionless and inept on the pitch as we seem to be run off of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised, if we manage to stay up, that we will be in a similar state around this time next season. DC is as much or even more to blame, than Monk, previous appointments and the players but on the whole it's an entire shitshow that's a result of inept leadership from the top downwards and the way things are going we're only heading downwards. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

On 01/03/2020 at 08:39, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif.6b4c5f778bf261af3c68abab6d20e190.gif

127847181_ezgif.com-optimize(1).gif.ee0ccba8e82ecf590fbf57ff1ea5a7d9.gif

I can still blame them a little bit, though - right?

:duntmatter:

Absolutely shocking defending .. no effort, intelligence, bite or aggression.

1st goal, Lees clown-like trying to dribble the ball out before being tackled and trying to trip Martin up with a flailing leg, then Palmer getting sucked in to the middle, would have got the ball after Klees tackle, then puts in a weak challenges/block which at the minute epitomises our lack of aggression.. Shameful. Poor effort from Dawson putting a hand on the ball. Slow.

2nd, Poor pass from Harris, no closing down from the defence although they are a bit deep to do that, then Fox doesn't follow his man and thus putting in a last minute block. Another poor attempt getting a hand on the ball from Dawson .. bit slow.

It really is Sunday league stuff at the minute, a bunch of no hopers trying to play ball but failing miserably but you forgive them because they are paying to play football and you know they aren't good .. these guys get paid bucket loads and some can't even be arsed .... embarrassing ..

On 01/03/2020 at 08:22, crookesowl said:

Monk could have Liverpool’s squad and it would go wrong. 

He has blasted the players for mistakes and lack of effort time and time again. Many fans have lapped this up - evident yesterday with chants of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” echoing round Hillsborough. 

Of course players have good days and bad days and they make mistakes. But for me the manager has to take full responsibility for our current position. The players look lost. They are frustrated at the tactics. 

They aren’t performing because they are trying to make a broken formula work. 

You could argue Monk has had a bad deal without his own coaching team but we were warned about this happening by fans of other clubs. 

The situation has become critical and Monk has to go. These players confidence is shot and they need someone with new ideas and fresh energy to fix it. 

Monk out! 

The tactics do not score you goals the players are missing them! The players are performing, but they are not scoring goals at one end, because our finishing percentage is way below average for the division and we are giving too many away at the other, because the defence and midfield are put under extra pressure due to us wasting so many chances.

When the whole team shape changes, as we go forward to try and score a goal, it does not take a mastermind to realise that if you don't score that goal, you are soon going to be in trouble at the other end of the pitch. That my friend is a very simple fact in football. Whether you like it or not, when an attack breaks down, every player over 12 instinctively knows it, every coach, every fan that has played, or watched and understood what they are watching, knows this. Why do you struggle so much with it? Teams have been promoted, or saved from relegation, when a poor penalty, or a poor direct free kick has then been sent down the other end. It is not always as dramatic as that, but corners and attacking open play at one end of the pitch can very quickly turn against you if you do not put the ball in the net, or in the stand and we are not putting the ball in the net often enough, especially at home.

Anybody who witnessed Fletcher head that ball in last week to give us our first home goal in eight and a half hours, or whatever it was, will tell you that we need to score more goals. The one player that has scored regularly for us this season has a career maximum of just 13 goals in a season (before this season) and that was 12 years ago, in Scotland! We need to find players for our squad next season, that score more goals. We have been over and over this fact, because we do not have any prolific goalscorers at the club at all. All of our players are low scoring players, our strikers, midfielders, wingers and defenders.

The two players who have been prolific, scored goals when they were playing more regularly with their previous clubs, but have not scored enough goals for us when they have been played on a regular basis. Rhodes used to score for fun until a few seasons before he joined us on loan. Sam Winall scored 32 goals in 65 league games, over two seasons games for Barnsley, before he joined us, but Connor Wickham has never been prolific scoring just 8 goals in all his seasons combined at Palace, which amounted to just 41 games and at Sunderland he only scored 11 in 72 games. Atdhe Nuhiu scored 11 goals for us in just 26 games (2017/18), Forestieri scored his best ever return of 15 in 39 games for us, back in 2015/16, with his previous 13 goals scored for Watford in 58 games, over two seasons. Murphy and Harris have similar goal scoring records of 6 in 70 games for Harris and 8 in 77 games for Murphy, although he has been in great form for us so far. Barry Bannan, 10 goals in 187 league games for us, Luongo 10 in 145 for QPR, Reach 18/158 for us, Lees 9/206, Palmer 1/209, Fox 3/88, Borner 1/30, Iorfa 4/42, Lee 20/191, Hutchinson 4/143.

Our most prolific player, is a loan player with 18 goals over 41 games in a season playing for Rangers in Scotland and funnily enough he has scored two goals in two starts for us and looked lively when he came on this Saturday showing our other attacking players how to score again!

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

On 01/03/2020 at 10:34, @owlstalk said:

I agree with you here

But my point stands is that the team contains players out of contract very soon who would typically be busting their balls to win a new one

Either they don’t care if they do get a new contract, or even worse they’ve been told they’re not going to get one in the summer

Either way it’s just not good enough 

Yes...and until they're gone we won't move forward