Stop blaming the players - it’s Monk

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

When the first goal went in they had 4 players in our box. 2nd goal they had 6 players in our half when we lost the ball. Pressing, offensive football. 

I bet they couldn't believe their luck when Lees and Harris gave them the ball so easily.

For all Derby's attacking intent, both of those goals were entirely avoidable had our players shown even the most elementary skill on the ball.

1 hour ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Any half decent manager doesn't burn his bridges with key players. 

* Westwood commands his area better than Dawson imho and could give him a much needed break - the lad looks jaded.

* Hutch, yes injury prone but when fit why would you not include him especially as Luongo is injured. 

Monk has painted himself into a corner with these 2 and the sooner he swallows his pride an brings them back in the sooner the team will see the benefit. 

Poor man management if you ask me. 

I'd like to agree, but first I need a summary of what it was Monk had to deal with and therefore how that led to his "poor man management".

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I'd like to agree, but first I need a summary of what it was Monk had to deal with and therefore how that led to his "poor man management".

Only if you are pedantic contrary Mary.  Whether it’s poor or not in a sense doesn’t matter. What matters is it’s inadequate in the context of what we need.

We never know what really goes on. All that matters is whether he can achieve results with the raw materials he has at his disposal. If he can’t then someone else gets a go until we find someone who can. We didn’t know what Burtenshaw had to cope with, or Ashurst, Eustace, Irvine etc etc etc.  What they had in common was they weren’t good enough to achieve results - and man management is a key aspect of making a difference.

Yesterday - and fizz your stats - we barely put a single tackle in and Dawson could have saved one of the goals. Hutchinson and Westwood might have made a difference in that context. Not would have but it’s eminently possible they might have. But they definitely couldn’t because Monk’s man management means they aren’t available. Since they were excluded we haven’t improved at all. 

You keep being the voice of reason apparently happy that turgid tactics and downbeat players mean I have to endure rather than enjoy my football. 

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

First of all I did say "in my opinion" 

Maybe you think it's good man management and I'm missing something.

To me he appears to be cutting his nose off to spite his face to the detriment of the team. 

32 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

When the first goal went in they had 4 players in our box. 2nd goal they had 6 players in our half when we lost the ball. Pressing, offensive football. 

Our squad of rejects, crocks and geriatrics don’t have the athleticism to play pressing offensive football.

Best we can hope for is to sit back and hope the other team tire themselves out and then try and nick a goal somehow.

23 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I agree to some degree his "man management" but his abilities as a manager of a football team on past form doesn't look too clever.

Just now, full fathom five said:

I agree to some degree his "man management" but his abilities as a manager of a football team on past form doesn't look too clever.

I'm not defending his abilities, only questioning conclusions some have bounded to regarding why some players have been left out for the last few weeks on the basis of little or no evidence. And that also applies to those on the other side of that equation who have equally suffered from the same thing.

Just now, Rhubarb n Custard said:

I love JP ❤️

( Not in a Philip Scholfield way though ) 

He's a very impressive figure isn't he? People take him on like he's some sort of video game boss and he just effortlessly swats them away with cold, effective, well sourced logic.

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm not defending his abilities, only questioning conclusions some have bounded to regarding why some players have been left out for the last few weeks on the basis of little or no evidence. And that also applies to those on the other side of that equation who have equally suffered from the same thing.

Can't disagree with that, the only conclusions we can draw is by what we see on the pitch and on that score Monk is fooked, would you not agree?

Edited by full fathom five

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Can't disagree with that, the only conclusions we can draw is by what we see on the pitch and on that score Monk is fooked.

You have to wonder how we briefly managed to be third in the table. Even when we were getting good results there was always the feeling that it was fortunate and couldn't last.

16 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He's a very impressive figure isn't he? People take him on like he's some sort of video game boss and he just effortlessly swats them away with cold, effective, well sourced logic.

Shame it appears he hasn’t died. Sputnik News will be happy. 

20 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Now I understand your condescending air of smug superiority. It was bugging me where it came from but now the pieces fall into place. Be careful fanboy that surface assuredness may mask deep anxieties. 

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Defo, that Newman interview is a beaut. I love how he's able to think so quickly.

Slaying adversaries and sometimes affording himself the fun of toying a while before administering the killer blow.

Quality.

1 minute ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Defo, that Newman interview is a beaut. I love how he's able to think so quickly.

Slaying adversaries and sometimes affording himself the fun of toying a while before administering the killer blow.

Quality.

JP, golf and real ale. A riveting combination.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I assume you’re a white male ;-)

garymegson

8 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Shame it appears he hasn’t died. Sputnik News will be happy. 

:bullen:

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Now I understand your condescending air of smug superiority. It was bugging me where it came from but now the pieces fall into place. Be careful fanboy that surface assuredness may mask deep anxieties. 

:1276983839_MonkHome:

• Haha 1