Does Monk have what it takes to be a manager

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well I won’t comment on the Forestieri situation. As you say, it’s Monk’s decision to make, but believe me, it will only end one way. Whether modern players have too much power, probably yes, but Monk’s way has little chance of working, especially if he’s not backing it up with results Even for a successful manager like Mourinho, the minute he starts falling out with players, it all falls apart, and he’s a gonner

but to counter that, dc runs it like 'the hotel california' and doesn't like anyone leaving, so you might have to wait quite a while for your wish.

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well I won’t comment on the Forestieri situation. As you say, it’s Monk’s decision to make, but believe me, it will only end one way. Whether modern players have too much power, probably yes, but Monk’s way has little chance of working, especially if he’s not backing it up with results Even for a successful manager like Mourinho, the minute he starts falling out with players, it all falls apart, and he’s a gonner

Apologies

That was a typo 

should have started with “I DO agree”

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I think it’s an insult to a great song bringing that clown into it. But I get your point.

bit harsh calling him 'that clown', after all at the start folks were over the moon with him, patting him on the back, cheering him, chanting his name, he was the 'messiah' and the 'promised land' was clearly in sight.

11 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

bit harsh calling him 'that clown', after all at the start folks were over the moon with him, patting him on the back, cheering him, chanting his name, he was the 'messiah' and the 'promised land' was clearly in sight.

I’d had enough of him 2 years ago. Telling a life long fan to stay away, severing ties with Radio Sheffield, all in the name of income..,.

Not disputing the positivity he bright. But it seems a long time ago.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

4 hours ago, Daz said:

But what gives rise to confidence that he can rebuild a team. He has little experience of that, yet he is the one we should trust to shape our future for the next 4 years? 

He still has to prove he can get this team walking through walls for him, or that he can turn the shambles of the last 10 games around. I'm not sure he can, so I'm less inclined to trust him with our future.

I desperately want him to succeed, but any manager chopping and changing things around doesn't get a free pass on results and these half-hearted, mistake laden performances have gone on long enough. He can keep talking about confidence, but he's responsible for giving it to them, and unfortunately there's no sign he can break the poor run and lacklustre performances.

exactly

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

You are right, resuts buy time and respect. Monk has time  but no respect. He can ony take the club one way.

Guest wilyfox

Monk has not implemented any playing style - other than shyte. The first 3 months we were organised at least and competitive, but now that's gone. Players aren't responding to him. They're certainly not performing for him. Only a strong finish may save him, and 5pts from 30 make that seem unlikely. Barring a remarkable turnaround, I think we'll start next season with a new manager. Time will tell which division. 

There are absolutely zero signs that the players are being drilled day in day out on the training ground as to the style and manner of how Monk wants his team to play, that is absolutely paramount, without that foundation in place the players don't have movement to look for when attacking and leave holes in the defense when defending, our shape/tactical deficiency is there for everyone to see.

Someone in the media needs to ask Monk or DC why Monk hasn’t been able to bring in any back room staff. To me it looks like the players and Monk have nothing to play for, so they know we are going to have a big point deduction etc. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

10 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's a big question that needs asking.

Why has Monk not been allowed to bring his coaches in ?

Why is Bully,  part of numerous failed regimes, still a key part of a failed coaching set up ?

There's so many big questions. 

Nothing seems to make sense at this club any more.

It's almost like we have a clueless moron running the place...

Edited by poite
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

True.

Apparently DC struggled to find any manager of note to come in. Can't imagine why.

yeah but this is the thing he fell out with Pep at Birmingham and Beattie didn't move to us, and they were essentially his team..so it may be the case he didn't even ask for one after being told Bullen must be kept on

wrong quote btw haha*

Edited by keepitsteel89

All Monk needed to do was, carry on the good work done by Bruce, and Bullen after Bruce had left. Address the immediate shortcomings in the January window, and deal with any major overhaul, when there was a natural opportunity to deal with that in the summer. He didn’t need to create this upheaval half way through the season. Sadly though, it’s in his make up, he has a history of falling out with people. All so unnecessary really

I don't think Monk has got what it takes.

He came in and we played more or less the same system and players that Bullen was using. Although I did think he improved out dead ball delivery and ideas.

Now the bad stuff.

Every football manager has to cope with injuries to key players, but so far Monk has not shown any ability to work around any injuries.

Every football manager has to deal with difficult players, unless you are confident that they are not needed you don't just freeze them out, sadly he has failed again.

Every football manager needs to use every transfer window to address shortcomings in the team, again he has not done this. The players he has brought in have been shoehorned into his system and look worse than what we had. The one area where we are absolutely desperate for cover is midfield and he didn't address this problem.

Every football manager has to try to get improvements out of his players, again nearly all of the players look much worse than they did when he took over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think losing Bruce was an absolute body blow to our club and DC. With Bruce we had a good man manager, with an inclusive attitude to the squad and staff. Monk might have coaching credentials, but he appears to be devicive and unfortunately as Jos found out we, can’t afford to let our stronger players be frozen out. 

I fully accept there are issues none of us are privy to, but I can see why Monk has a history of not lasting at clubs. At this moment in time we need a manager who can pull the players and staff together with a common cause. I get the distinct feeling that Monk is willing to bite his nose to spite his face and in the process risk relegation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's a big question that needs asking.

Why has Monk not been allowed to bring his coaches in ?

Why is Bully,  part of numerous failed regimes, still a key part of a failed coaching set up ?

He fell out with Pep and Beaty is still under contract ,bruce was allowed his backroom staff ,so who knows ,