Does Monk have what it takes to be a manager

14 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Reason they support it is because they do need time.

The club is in a mess with ridiculously inconsistent players ,many of who don't have the right attitude or mentality to succeed.

We can keep changing managers till the cows come home. This bunch will not learn.

We have to let a manager over haul the whole team. Monk might not be the man for this but its harsh to expect anyone to improve players who just aren't good enough.

We need 5 or 6 out and 5 or 6 in. Until we do that we are mid table even with Klopp.

Well I might agree with the inconsistency bit What I find so bizarre is, that people keep referring to needing to clear this bunch out, when often, the majority of the team is totally different to the one we put out in previous seasons. So are we saying the signings that Bruce made, also have a bad attitude, and need to be cleared out? We’ve brought in 10 new players since the end of last season, it’s not the same players. Do we have to change the whole squad every time a new coach takes the reins? 
I wasn’t in favour of appointing Monk, but I wouldn’t have a problem giving him more time, if there were signs that he was starting to get things in shape. There are no signs whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

Finds himself in this position far too much imo. 

Leeds - lost Wood, fell away. 

Birmingham - lost Adams, fell away. 

Swansea - lost Bony, fell away. 

Us - lost Fletcher, falling away. 

Has one plan and when he loses one component, the target man, he's lost. 

Not keen on him being here for the rebuild in summer tbh. 

I have to say that was a brilliant post and a great analysis by Westfield Owl re the car crash that is the Mad Monk:

I made my feelings very clear when Monk was (let's be honest, reluctantly) hired in September.

• He's bounced around several clubs in only a few years & got sacked from his last 2 jobs in the last 2 seasons.
  • Never lasts very long anywhere.
  • Never been promoted as a manager, or even made the playoffs.
  • Plays Wimbledon-esque football.
  • Bottle job at Leeds in 2017; he fell asleep at the wheel there and they (hilariously) capitulated.  Finished outside the playoffs - despite having a good team & a 30-goal striker in Wood.
  • Spunked away a fortune at Boro; pretty much blew their parachute payment in one transfer window.  Boro's finances are only just starting to recover from Monk's spell there.
  • And then there were the allegations over transfers.

Not exactly the sort of character you'd want at your club IMO.  And his results at Wednesday speak for themselves.

• 1 win in 10 league games.
  • 10 goals scored in 14 games at Hillsborough since Monk's appointment.
  • Decent players banished from the first team and made to train with the kids.
  • We've conceded the highest amount of goals after 90 minutes in the division.  A habit that has cost us points throughout the season.
  • Changing the defence, midfield and team formation every game.  It's February FFS - we should have a settled team by this point in the season.
  • Publically criticised players to the media, to cover up his own failings.
  • Team spirit ripped apart.
  • His interviews are like car crashes.  It probably shouldn't matter but PR is so important in the modern age.
  • Jury is still out on the January signings but I've a feeling we may have made 3 x bad signings, whilst also neglecting areas of the squad that did need strengthening

His record is identical to Luhukay's final 10 games so let us pray that Monk is kicked out this week.

• Thanks 1

It would be interesting to know but I cannot imagine that anyone who has SWFC's interests at heart would want Monk anyhere near the Manager's job.

He has created a toxic atmosphere and as a result a team that is being taken apart even by sides in the bottom six of the division.

He is finished here.

Let us hope that he is gone this week.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 05:04, Mr Farrell said:

True.

Apparently DC struggled to find any manager of note to come in. Can't imagine why.

he fell out with cotel and beaty is still under contract  so I believe  I was under the impression he wanted to bring them in  . bruce got his staff in so I can't see why Monk couldn't have his 

Just now, trevdi9 said:

he fell out with cotel and beaty is still under contract  so I believe  I was under the impression he wanted to bring them in  . bruce got his staff in so I can't see why Monk couldn't have his 

Cotel and Beaty is that posh shop that sells soaps and things isn't it ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

I suppose it would have been hard to entice Beattie on a 12 month contract, but boy am I glad that we only gave Monk a 12 month deal now. No improvement on Bullen really, we could have saved the money. I’m hoping we now have an idea of what we want from a manager/coach, and should be setting plans in place to appoint someone early summer

21 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I have to say that was a brilliant post and a great analysis by Westfield Owl re the car crash that is the Mad Monk:

I made my feelings very clear when Monk was (let's be honest, reluctantly) hired in September.

• He's bounced around several clubs in only a few years & got sacked from his last 2 jobs in the last 2 seasons.
  • Never lasts very long anywhere.
  • Never been promoted as a manager, or even made the playoffs.
  • Plays Wimbledon-esque football.
  • Bottle job at Leeds in 2017; he fell asleep at the wheel there and they (hilariously) capitulated.  Finished outside the playoffs - despite having a good team & a 30-goal striker in Wood.
  • Spunked away a fortune at Boro; pretty much blew their parachute payment in one transfer window.  Boro's finances are only just starting to recover from Monk's spell there.
  • And then there were the allegations over transfers.

Not exactly the sort of character you'd want at your club IMO.  And his results at Wednesday speak for themselves.

• 1 win in 10 league games.
  • 10 goals scored in 14 games at Hillsborough since Monk's appointment.
  • Decent players banished from the first team and made to train with the kids.
  • We've conceded the highest amount of goals after 90 minutes in the division.  A habit that has cost us points throughout the season.
  • Changing the defence, midfield and team formation every game.  It's February FFS - we should have a settled team by this point in the season.
  • Publically criticised players to the media, to cover up his own failings.
  • Team spirit ripped apart.
  • His interviews are like car crashes.  It probably shouldn't matter but PR is so important in the modern age.
  • Jury is still out on the January signings but I've a feeling we may have made 3 x bad signings, whilst also neglecting areas of the squad that did need strengthening

His record is identical to Luhukay's final 10 games so let us pray that Monk is kicked out this week.

Quality post someone send it to Chansiri 

He’s a disaster.

Yes it’s not all on Monk and there’s many other factors at play as we’ve all discussed a million times already. Yet he really doesn’t help himself either.

We've been woeful for months, and seems to stem from him putting his boot down on senior players. Yet it was November/December not May. You kick players out at the end of the season, not in the middle of it unless they move in the transfer window.

If Monk was half the manager he pretends to be, he'd know that Dawson needs dropping, isn't ready and that Westwood is still our best goalkeeper.

He'd know that Hutchinson is one of very few leaders and the most versatile player available who can offer tactical flexibility. 

He’d know that with the absence of Fletcher, his system would have to change and Rhodes plus a partner would still be the best bet of a goal up front.

Etc etc

You don’t alienate players out without having adequate replacements. FFS Jos tried this not 12-18 months ago. You simply must work with the best you’ve got until you’re in the position to kick the troublemakers out. Not before. Yet Monk knows best.. too stubborn to swallow his pride and do what’s best for the team until the summer. Just six months and then the players can be booted out. Sure tell them to play to earn new deals etc but telling them they're done, midway into a season on their wages?! All he had to do was grin and bear it with them for six months.. Utter braindead idiot.

Monk is done imo, dead man walking. He will most probably be sacked, Bullen will take over, Westwood and Hutchinson will be recalled, our form will turn and will hopefully rally in the final quarter to see us through. Tearfully predictable.

Should our esteemed chairman persist with this joker, if we don’t go down this season, we will do next.

Edited by pussface
  • Like 2

I agree with Pussface 100% when he says:

"You don’t alienate players out without having adequate replacements. FFS Jos tried this not 12-18 months ago. You simply must work with the best you’ve got until you’re in the position to kick the troublemakers out. Not before. Yet Monk knows best.. too stubborn to swallow his pride and do what’s best for the team until the summer. Just six months and then the players can be booted out. Sure tell them to play to earn new deals etc but telling them they're done, midway into a season on their wages?! All he had to do was grin and bear it with them for six months.. Utter braindead idiot.

Monk is done imo, dead man walking. He will most probably be sacked."

I too do not warm to Monk as he seems to be very arrogant and stubborn and I can see why the players do not like him.

I had hoped that he would have gone by now.