Monk’s comments

3 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Not really sure what that says about fans. Are we not capable of hearing the truth?

I would rather hear the reality of the situation than platitudes to stroke the emotions of supporters and get our hopes up.

If the current state of affairs is communicated honestly but with a clear plan to move forward I have no problem with that.

I think the majority understand it, they see whats going off and make their own minds up- its usually the silent majority though.

Wow what a stupid thing to say. He really isn’t doing anything to make me believe he’s the right man for the job. He seems such a negative uninspiring manager, just as that article confirms. Can’t imagine DC was thinking the same earlier in the season or even now to be honest. It’s like Monk has given up on the season, not exactly what us as paying fans deserve or want to hear. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

8 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Seems to me that Chansiri didn’t give Monk the aim to get in the playoffs this season.  The lack of replacing Bruce quickly and potential issues with EFL would seem it’s likely Chansiri realised this season would be tough and he hired an experienced manager to oversee this difficult time until May. 

The fact the 10 year season ticket is valid even with new ownership suggests Chansiri isn’t planning on being here a long time. 

As for Monk I’m disappointed with the performances since Christmas and if he can’t get goals out of a squad with Wickham, Forestieri, Da Cruz, Windass, Murphy, Harris, even Reach and Bannan, then i don’t think he’s doing a good job 

Take it you didn't see the press conference when Monk was appointed?

17 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

I’m my opinion he’s trying to take the pressure off the players and himself by lowering everybody’s expectations. He’ll certainly do that with those comments, but it could also speed up his own exit and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he wouldn’t be too bothered if that was the case. He seems to be exhibiting exactly the same apathy and lack of fight that we’re seeing on the pitch.

If only they lowered the prices along with those expectations, which were DC's and Monk's expectations not so long ago by the way.:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

As always, resort to petty insults to make your point! 

His tenure was great up until we couldn't make the playoffs then it tailed off, incidentally without his own players(Iorfa was the only one who played regularly) which you seem to be championing as one of the reasons for our/Monks current predicament. We had a decent way/style of playing which is stark contrast to what is currently on show. Anyone who watches football knows how Mourinho sets up, it doesn't matter what players he has. Klopp, Guardiola, Wilder, Bilic, Bielsa have their way of playing, the thing is it doesn't change. Monk has set us up to play this way and that won't change with different players as we saw on Saturday. Lots of talent on the pitch but same old hoofball. 

OT:

I believe he is now trying to temper expectations. The problem is we didn't have any before he came in until both he and Chansiri gave us the promotion vibe. He wasn't giving any strange interviews when we were doing ok but now he seems to be losing the plot. The post match interview on Saturday was like listening to Trigger. As someone said, the 20 quid note will be out soon. 

We had a decent way of playing? When we were ''going for it'' we drew 0-0 with Reading, 0-0 with Millwall and 2-2 with rotherham in the last second

In 3 dire performances 

Now i'm not having a go at Bruce as he is in the same position as Monk - finding his feet etc, he just seemed to have got more leeway 

I’m sick of the players aren’t good enough, we can’t make the play offs , yes we have an ageing squad that needs freshening up , but hate bringing those lot from S2 into the equation 

but they got a squad that included Leon Clarke, Paul Coutts, Jake Wright, Gary Madine, Martin crainie promoted into the prem - most of those players now are playing in league 1

the difference is they have a manager who gets the best out of them each week. 

17 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

I’m sick of the players aren’t good enough, we can’t make the play offs , yes we have an ageing squad that needs freshening up , but hate bringing those lot from S2 into the equation 

but they got a squad that included Leon Clarke, Paul Coutts, Jake Wright, Gary Madine, Martin crainie promoted into the prem - most of those players now are playing in league 1

the difference is they have a manager who gets the best out of them each week. 

Unfortunately I agree. Wilder has got them playing as a team, he can motivate them and get them running through brick walls for him. Monk can’t do any of that, sometimes you have to work with what you have got and get the best out of them, again Monk doesn’t seem capable of that either. 

2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-boss-garry-monk-says-play-offs-were-never-realistic-ambition-he-reiterates-need-long-term-vision-1409511

Completely moronic and unnecessarily negative statement... In the playoffs for a few months up until a horrendous January.

Would he have said that if Fletcher had been fit and firing? And yeah you can say well it’s a club issue and not a team issue but we were more than competing for promotion first half of season, sorry but put a nail in his coffin with this one.

Were you born daft or do you practice a lot ?

• Like 1

He says in this article that too many players have been comfortable for too long. 

And yet he still keeps playing the rubbish he's talking about. 

None of what he says makes sense.

He plays players whom he admits aren't trying. 

Why 

Don't tell me there's nobody else. Young lads from the reserves prepared to run around until the drop are better than the caucus of flops ho have played year after year. 

He keeps saying he's going to change things 

He said when he came that it was time to promote from the reserves. Then a few weeks ago he's on record as saying he's no intention of promoting. 

GM has been infected with the wednesday virus that sends people crazy. 

Players arrive whom are highly rated adm either never play or are hopeless 

And so on. 

4 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

He says in this article that too many players have been comfortable for too long. 

Why 

Don't tell me there's nobody else. Young lads from the reserves prepared to run around until the drop are better than the caucus of flops ho have played year after year. 

He said when he came that it was time to promote from the reserves. Then a few weeks ago he's on record as saying he's no intention of promoting. 

And so on. 

the more he talks the more he just digs himself a hole. He comes out with such inconsistent crap. 

People keep saying that monk as lost the dressing room...maybe, just maybe it's the actual players that keep doing this??? If Monk is sacked today that would be 6 managers in under 5 years but the same 30 man squad remains...now you don't have to be part of the detective squad to work out what the common problem is!! Maybe Monk as come in several games into a season with an open mind but has eventually worked out what needs to happen and certain players don't like it...well tough poo!!! A lot of these players have outstayed their welcome...not Gary Monk IMO.

Monks comments are nothing more than him saying playoffs are not realistic and judging current form and performances, they're not!! Get over it, hes right!!! They players want to be ashamed of themselves and take a long hard look in the mirror.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Why 

And so on. 

What don't you get??? What options does he have??? He as got the same players between now and May...end of.

We've been here before with these young lads within the U23's and they are simply not good enough. The few who showed a little bit of promise are all loaned out and the the rest are back where they belong because they aren't good enough. 

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

It was a target. He also believed it was possible. He's now moving the goalposts after a crap run of form. He knows we've blown it this past month, and with disharmony in the group making a late push unlikely.

Don't see what you can defend  about monk other than to make an argument for giving him more time. However he's shown nothing but complain about the players. His job is to manage what he has and have a strategy for the future.  We play crap football tactics are shocking one up front at home FFS. There is no improvement under him at all. You cannot see anything changing under him. It was the same under Jos. Dross with no vision. If your struggling but you can see it will be worth it in the end once the manager  has got them playing right you put up with it. This is not what we have here. Getting lower and lower. Utter crap. Change is needed because this has no future. Complaining about players is pathetic. Sort things out behind close doors in private if needs be but coming running to fans about it every time.... Do your job get the best out of what you have which did pretty well under Bruce last season. If he did that I'd say give him time but there is nothing to see in way of improvement.  I'm for goodness sake his interviews and pressconfrences as as depressing as when we had Chris Turner in charge. Motivation no wonder there not playing well. But if you don't like what I'm saying fine give him more time give him money and we end up same as Jos waste of time money and stuck while them across the city get all the glory in Premiership. I'm sick of being stuck with poor manager's who can't get us up. Look what Wilder did with clumps 

I think most of us know there are some clear limitaitons within this squad - both ability and mentality wise. 

Still - they are capable of better football and results than what they are currently showing. 

Since Boxing day, we have been absolutely woeful. 

56 minutes ago, torres said:

We had a decent way of playing? When we were ''going for it'' we drew 0-0 with Reading, 0-0 with Millwall and 2-2 with rotherham in the last second

In 3 dire performances 

Now i'm not having a go at Bruce as he is in the same position as Monk - finding his feet etc, he just seemed to have got more leeway 

I am in no way a Bruce fan boy but you mean the start of the 11 undefeated run? After that start Bruce didn't need any leeway, he certainly had more respect from the fans than Monk currently has but I'm sure that's more to do with what he had achieved previously. 

My problem with Monk is his style of play and how hes setting us up.

20 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Why 

And so on. 

If these young players were better than the ones currently being picked they'd be out there, why wouldn't they be, the fact is they're not.