Monk’s comments

I get he's said we are fighting for it, which is fine, but we beat Bristol City, Forest, Brentford, Leeds (and had the better of them at home), drew with Forest, should have had a point at West Brom etc - all teams who would have solid ambitions of getting promoted - we've shown we can compete, why could the play offs have become a realistic ambition? It's only a few weeks since we had the chance to go clear in 3rd.

It might be a bit of kidology on this part too, along with a degree of self preservation.  

See if he can coax something out of the players. 

Does seem like he is scrambling around for a reaction and nothing is working right now. 

Still - I don't think this was the wisest move. 

More or less what Bruce said at the end of Last season.

Bruce said that it would take 2-3 windows to sort out the squad to be thinking about promotion.

I, for one, never expected to go up this season, not with the squad we have, too many players in their safety/comfy zones.

I dont see anything wrong with his comments, we all know the squad needs a massive overhaul. 

Never expected us to be in contention this season, I think if people did then they have not looked closely at our squad or have delusions of grandeur!

When the fans elevate average players to iconic status which is not deserved,,,,,,,,,,,,expect repercussions when those players think they are bigger than the club and are beyond criticism........they become blind to the reality they are bang average and the backlash can be seen.............they are the equivalent of Jo Swinson thinking she is could be the next PM..........Monk has no chance whilst they are at the club

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

More or less what Bruce said at the end of Last season.

Bruce said that it would take 2-3 windows to sort out the squad to be thinking about promotion.

I, for one, never expected to go up this season, not with the squad we have, too many players in their safety/comfy zones.

Me neither, but we are good enough to challenge for the play offs. Think too much is made about the squad not being good enough. When managers come out with that kind of stuff, it’s probably a self preservation thing. 
I see plenty of quality in the squad, it just needs a bit of fine tuning. There are players who probably won’t be with us next year, but we’ll replace them in the summer. In the meantime, with plenty of quality options in all departments, we need to be doing much better, most definitely in terms of performance

I’m my opinion he’s trying to take the pressure off the players and himself by lowering everybody’s expectations. He’ll certainly do that with those comments, but it could also speed up his own exit and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he wouldn’t be too bothered if that was the case. He seems to be exhibiting exactly the same apathy and lack of fight that we’re seeing on the pitch.

41 minutes ago, torres said:

I don't think he did that any more than Monk has (who is on his own)

Take out the howlers from 85 minutes onwards and we looked rock solid for a long time.

Sadly the christmas period killed us (Fletcher being out)

Don't forget Bruce for the most part was playing against teams who had given up their season.

He was just a breath of fresh air after Jos in with what he said and putting normal players in their positions  - we also thought he was here for 2 or 3 years 

Monk has come in with a cloud over the club due to the jokers in charge and as soon as its gone a bit pear shaped, the mood has gone even worse.

Any manager we have now needs a fair bit of time.

2 wins in the week and all could be a lot brighter 

plus, is he trying to take the pressure off the players (to get them to perform more 'freely') ? could be seen as good management ??? 

He’s completely right. He needs to reduce expectations. Fans believe we are better than we are, as does the chairman. 

I actually feel for Monk right now. No staff brought in, a couple loans. No real outs. 

I believe we will be better next season if he gets to do things the way he wants too. However I’m unsure if Chansiri is on the same page. 

Monk wants to improve this team. If he was to leave, the next man may not and there we are again stuck in the same cycle. I’m delighted we finally have a manager that can see straight through this spineless load of rubbish. He may not be the one who gets us up but someone who puts us on the right track. 

4 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

I’m my opinion he’s trying to take the pressure off the players and himself by lowering everybody’s expectations. He’ll certainly do that with those comments, but it could also speed up his own exit and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he wouldn’t be too bothered if that was the case. He seems to be exhibiting exactly the same apathy and lack of fight that we’re seeing on the pitch.

Very true.

We play like a team just going through the motions. 

13 minutes ago, stowyowl said:

I get he's said we are fighting for it, which is fine, but we beat Bristol City, Forest, Brentford, Leeds (and had the better of them at home), drew with Forest, should have had a point at West Brom etc - all teams who would have solid ambitions of getting promoted - we've shown we can compete, why could the play offs have become a realistic ambition? It's only a few weeks since we had the chance to go clear in 3rd.

We can play really well when we want but it's the inconsistency that stops us being worthy of promotion. Various managers have tried to sort it but it's ingrained in the squad. It's been going on for years. Even that first year under CC we seemed to do it.

If I had to guess I'd say it's down to lack of tactical intelligence. If we play a good team they come at us and we can counter attack which suits us. If they come and sit back we don't have any idea how to break them down. Poor teams are never going to attack us they are happy to get the draw. The problem is we over commit to going forward and get caught on the break. That would explain why we are better away than expected and worse at home.

Maybe it's oversimplistic.

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He’s completely right. He needs to reduce expectations. Fans believe we are better than we are, as does the chairman. 

I actually feel for Monk right now. No staff brought in, a couple loans. No real outs. 

I believe we will be better next season if he gets to do things the way he wants too. However I’m unsure if Chansiri is on the same page. 

Monk wants to improve this team. If he was to leave, the next man may not and there we are again stuck in the same cycle. I’m delighted we finally have a manager that can see straight through this spineless load of rubbish. He may not be the one who gets us up but someone who puts us on the right track. 

If we bring in younger players on decent wages rather than high wages there's a good chance we can move them on if we need to change direction. With the present squad there aren't many we can shifteven if we try.

Seems to me that Chansiri didn’t give Monk the aim to get in the playoffs this season.  The lack of replacing Bruce quickly and potential issues with EFL would seem it’s likely Chansiri realised this season would be tough and he hired an experienced manager to oversee this difficult time until May. 

The fact the 10 year season ticket is valid even with new ownership suggests Chansiri isn’t planning on being here a long time. 

As for Monk I’m disappointed with the performances since Christmas and if he can’t get goals out of a squad with Wickham, Forestieri, Da Cruz, Windass, Murphy, Harris, even Reach and Bannan, then i don’t think he’s doing a good job 

41 minutes ago, torres said:

Today a manager has to spout what the fans want to hear rather than what they should be told.

Megson did it

Bruce did it 

It's part of the job, a big part - get the fans on board you are more than half way there.

Bruce didn't do much on the pitch  - but he spouted the right things off it to appease the supporters 

Manage the press  - you get more time in a job

I think Monk could do a very good job here, but he needs to be a bit brighter with the media 

Not really sure what that says about fans. Are we not capable of hearing the truth?

I would rather hear the reality of the situation than platitudes to stroke the emotions of supporters and get our hopes up.

If the current state of affairs is communicated honestly but with a clear plan to move forward I have no problem with that.

12 minutes ago, torres said:

I never said i didn't like bruce, i'm just not messing my under pants over his tenure here which was very average 

What he did in the past or after us has not one thing to do with it.

People - i expect like you, who might be a bit hard of thinking, had heard of Bruce and therefore gave him more time and expected him to do well - reality was he didn't do a lot 

Would he have done? who knows!

As always, resort to petty insults to make your point! 

His tenure was great up until we couldn't make the playoffs then it tailed off, incidentally without his own players(Iorfa was the only one who played regularly) which you seem to be championing as one of the reasons for our/Monks current predicament. We had a decent way/style of playing which is stark contrast to what is currently on show. Anyone who watches football knows how Mourinho sets up, it doesn't matter what players he has. Klopp, Guardiola, Wilder, Bilic, Bielsa have their way of playing, the thing is it doesn't change. Monk has set us up to play this way and that won't change with different players as we saw on Saturday. Lots of talent on the pitch but same old hoofball. 

OT:

I believe he is now trying to temper expectations. The problem is we didn't have any before he came in until both he and Chansiri gave us the promotion vibe. He wasn't giving any strange interviews when we were doing ok but now he seems to be losing the plot. The post match interview on Saturday was like listening to Trigger. As someone said, the 20 quid note will be out soon. 

Don't think he said anything wrong just being realistic. If Westwood and Hutchinson are causing problems and disrupting dressing room (Not for first time ) then you want them are far away as possible, you could say we should have played Mc Gugan or Abdi just because we know they have the skill. well, no, Man management is making sure that everyone is playing fully committed and playing to full capacity, but you have to have replacements to come in if others not performing /off form and be able to trust them. Midfield, especially Joey &  Bannan have been under the spotlight but due to injuries we have not be able to do anything about it. If Lee, Reach and perhaps Luongo are fit that will help but I am sure its highlighted to Monk that we need a fresh midfield that he will be able to rectify in the summer. For now we need to keep together, keep fighting, keep away from injuries and hope that the new lads fit in and get fit quickly.

42 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

From when he first came here...

He told talkSPORT: “When it came about it moved very quickly but it’s a challenge I’m really looking forward to.

“It’s a fantastic club with a good squad of players and staff.

“The Championship is the most competitive league in the world and the reason for that is at the start of every season, 15 or 16 teams believe they have a realistic chance of making it into the play-offs or automatic promotion.

“It’s a long season but I believe with the quality of squad we have and the fan base we do have then we have as good a chance as anyone.

Before he knew what we had. 

Also we're 11th so still well within range of the dreamer teams.