Monk’s comments

I don't get this site sometimes. 

Posters have been bleating on about the team being basically relegation fodder and we have been flattering to decieve for months and that Monk is deluded. Then when he comes out and says that we are above expectations and are a mid table team in reality he gets slated by the same people.

Madness 

Just now, Minton said:

Posters have been bleating on about the team being basically relegation fodder and we have been flattering to decieve for months and that Monk is deluded. Then when he comes out and says that we are above expectations and are a mid table team in reality he gets slated by the same people.

Madness 

Just roll with it fella,laugh,but roll with it.

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Madness 

I think you're missing the point

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

I don't like Monk, but to be honest these comments don't worry me too much. I don't much like them, but the problem is that he doesn't seem to be a particularly competent manager

Or inspiring.

I don’t blame Monk. There’s something fundamentally wrong with the attitude of the squad. 

The amount of late goals we’ve conceded and the fact we were third at Christmas and have completely capitulated, tells a lot about the ability and mentality of the squad. It’s not good enough.

He’s not the first manager who’s had to deal with this. We bottled it under Carlos twice. We were in the play offs under Jos and then completely fell away. Even under Bruce we had an outside chance of the play offs but blew it losing to Villa at home with two stoppage time goals and a missed penalty. 

The same personalities and players are still in the squad from the first play off defeat, with a few new additions here and there. Nothing will change until we sort a big clear out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Madness 

Somethings are best left unsaid...

Me and you saying the team isn't up to it is one thing. 

The manager saying it with 15 games to go and 6 points off the play offs is another thing. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t blame Monk. There’s something fundamentally wrong with the attitude of the squad. 

The amount of late goals we’ve conceded and the fact we were third at Christmas and have completely capitulated, tells a lot about the ability and mentality of the squad. It’s not good enough.

He’s not the first manager who’s had to deal with this. We bottled it under Carlos twice. We were in the play offs under Jos and then completely fell away. Even under Bruce we had an outside chance of the play offs but blew it losing to Villa at home with two stoppage time goals and a missed penalty. 

The same personalities and players are still in the squad from the first play off defeat, with a few new additions here and there. Nothing will change until we sort a big clear out. 

I wouldn't disagree with any of this. 

Just not convinced that the manager bleating it out in the media was the best move. 

For one, we need to get to that magic 50 points mark and we still have a slim chance of the top 6....though, with the way we are playing, there is absolutely no chance. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I wouldn't disagree with any of this. 

Just not convinced that the manager bleating it out in the media was the best move. 

For one, we need to get to that magic 50 points mark and we still have a slim chance of the top 6....though, with the way we are playing, there is absolutely no chance

50 pts or playoffs? :duntmatter:

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Somethings are best left unsaid...

Me and you saying the team isn't up to it is one thing. 

The manager saying it with 15 games to go and 6 points off the play offs is another thing. 

Seems to me that he is trying to lay down a challenge to the squad. 

"I don't think you're good enough. Prove me wrong"

Just now, Minton said:

Which is what exactly? Enlighten me

As a Manager would you walk into your players and say your're a bunch of mediocre has beens who can only get to mid table in a mediocre Championship league.

I know thats not his wording but its basically the message hes portraying. Hardly inspiring is it?

The team dont appear to be motivated anyway and I'm sure this will help no end.

But the other problem (for me) is that he is shooting himself in the foot. If a lot of the players disappear in the Summer and fresh faces are brought in and we are still gash..........

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I agree however could it be a bit of reverse psychology for the players as bigging them up doesn't seem to have worked for nigh on 4 seasons now.

Put the boot in and see how they react. Hopefully they will come out fighting and put a run together

I wouldn't hold your breath; not sure our players have enough character to come out fighting and put a run together. 

Just now, Minton said:

Seems to me that he is trying to lay down a challenge to the squad. 

"I don't think you're good enough. Prove me wrong"

He's already called them out on commitment though, that should have been enough.

1 minute ago, Frazzlebeak said:

But the other problem (for me) is that he is shooting himself in the foot. If a lot of the players disappear in the Summer and fresh faces are brought in and we are still gash..........

But that's a different scenario/issue entirely. 

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not sure any of you have read that properly.

“But if I’m honest at the start of the season it wasn’t an ambition for anyone, realistically. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be fighting for that, we are.

“But you can see how much work needs to be done, I’ve said that from the start.”

Several first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and Monk has already made a handful of notable changes in an attempt to freshen things up going forward.

Ok, so does that offer any insight into what Chansiri asked Monk to do?

To me that suggests that Chansiri has finally realised big changes are needed and a total shift in mentality and personnel is required. A playoff position would be a bonus, but it sounds like that was not the priority this season. It might also explain the 10 year season ticket offer. 

Before Monk arrived after Bruce pushed off everyone on here expected a mid table finish. What has changed?

We are 6 points off the playoffs and he is publicly giving up and saying we can't get there. Not difficult to see why the players aren't motivated by him.

Yes we know we are probably a mid table side but in a tight league anything is possible. You have to believe you can do it or you have no chance.

1 minute ago, Frazzlebeak said:

As a Manager would you walk into your players and say your're a bunch of mediocre has beens who can only get to mid table in a mediocre Championship league.

I know thats not his wording but its basically the message hes portraying. Hardly inspiring is it?

The team dont appear to be motivated anyway and I'm sure this will help no end.

Well if ifs and buts were chocolate and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas. 

You can't slate a manager for something that hasn't happened.

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Well if ifs and buts were chocolate and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas. 

You can't slate a manager for something that hasn't happened.

Listen..........I'm laid in bed upto my neck in wee. But I'm slating the manager for what he HAS said. You're just in denial.