Monk’s comments

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-boss-garry-monk-says-play-offs-were-never-realistic-ambition-he-reiterates-need-long-term-vision-1409511

Completely moronic and unnecessarily negative statement... In the playoffs for a few months up until a horrendous January.

Would he have said that if Fletcher had been fit and firing? And yeah you can say well it’s a club issue and not a team issue but we were more than competing for promotion first half of season, sorry but put a nail in his coffin with this one.

• Like 2

Why were the playoffs never realistic?  We weren't too far short last season despite having a mostly dreadful first half under Jos, the squad was improved in the summer, and the Championship has been as mediocre as I can ever remember it this year. More than half the league should have been looking the playoffs as a realistic target this year. We finished 2 points behind Forest and 3 ahead of Preston, yet they certainly didn't say "the playoffs aren't realistic".

We've a good squad on paper, they've proved they're capable in games against the best sides in the division and were third in the league at the halfway point - it's the manager's job to get them to perform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Play-offs unrealistic? I’m sure Forest fans was saying the same 6 weeks back.

No need for this negativity now or anytime for that matter, especially from someone who should be inspiring the already depleted fanbase.

I bet the Star couldn’t wait to print that b@llocks.

I'm not sure any of you have read that properly.

“But if I’m honest at the start of the season it wasn’t an ambition for anyone, realistically. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be fighting for that, we are.

“But you can see how much work needs to be done, I’ve said that from the start.”

Several first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and Monk has already made a handful of notable changes in an attempt to freshen things up going forward.

Ok, so does that offer any insight into what Chansiri asked Monk to do?

To me that suggests that Chansiri has finally realised big changes are needed and a total shift in mentality and personnel is required. A playoff position would be a bonus, but it sounds like that was not the priority this season. It might also explain the 10 year season ticket offer. 

Before Monk arrived after Bruce pushed off everyone on here expected a mid table finish. What has changed?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What happened to... 'We will not give up until it's mathematically impossible' ?

Bad management to be less than ultra positive, once the manager accepts mid table what will make the players make that extra effort. It's about inspiring people not accepting mediocrity.

I'm still not calling for his head but that was a mistake.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not sure any of you have read that properly.

“But if I’m honest at the start of the season it wasn’t an ambition for anyone, realistically. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be fighting for that, we are.

“But you can see how much work needs to be done, I’ve said that from the start.”

Several first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and Monk has already made a handful of notable changes in an attempt to freshen things up going forward.

Ok, so does that offer any insight into what Chansiri asked Monk to do?

To me that suggests that Chansiri has finally realised big changes are needed and a total shift in mentality and personnel is required. A playoff position would be a bonus, but it sounds like that was not the priority this season. It might also explain the 10 year season ticket offer. 

Before Monk arrived after Bruce pushed off everyone on here expected a mid table finish. What has changed?

I tend to agree with you on this.

Been a bit quick to dive in on Monk here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prowl said:

What happened to... 'We will not give up until it's mathematically impossible' ?

Bad management to be less than ultra positive, once the manager accepts mid table what will make the players make that extra effort. It's about inspiring people not accepting mediocrity.

I'm still not calling for his head but that was a mistake.

Thats what he has said with ''that is not to say we shouldn't be fighting for it - we are''

Just now, S36 OWL said:

I think Monk has realised how poor the squad is and is just being honest. A massive clear out is needed for us to be serious challengers. The squad is well past its sell by date. 

Nobody's saying it's the perfect squad but a good manager could get this squad into the play-offs.

• Haha 2