Monk’s comments

3 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Is anything that he's said incorrect?

Don't think that's the problem, the point is "should" he be saying stuff like this in public. 

3 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

Great self belief that it - and a great way to inspire the fan base 

i think it’s more like the opposite. Temper the expectation of tunnel visioned fans who get carried away with a few good results and table position so then anything less than automatic promotion is a failure...

3 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not sure any of you have read that properly.

“But if I’m honest at the start of the season it wasn’t an ambition for anyone, realistically. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be fighting for that, we are.

“But you can see how much work needs to be done, I’ve said that from the start.”

Several first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and Monk has already made a handful of notable changes in an attempt to freshen things up going forward.

Ok, so does that offer any insight into what Chansiri asked Monk to do?

To me that suggests that Chansiri has finally realised big changes are needed and a total shift in mentality and personnel is required. A playoff position would be a bonus, but it sounds like that was not the priority this season. It might also explain the 10 year season ticket offer. 

Before Monk arrived after Bruce pushed off everyone on here expected a mid table finish. What has changed?

After Bruce left us in the mire I don’t think there were many if any Wednesday fans that thought we could get in the play offs 

7 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We are 6 points off the playoffs and he is publicly giving up and saying we can't get there. Not difficult to see why the players aren't motivated by him.

Yes we know we are probably a mid table side but in a tight league anything is possible. You have to believe you can do it or you have no chance.

Our players have not played with belief for more than a season or two. 

He knows what he sees. 

He's being honest.

I think after his experience at Birmingham that Monk knows we are going to get a EFL points deduction, I think he was hoping even with a 9 or 12 point reduction we’d still be in with a shout of the play offs, obviously that’s not the case, the players know that too .

2 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Some fans have short memories.

Megson was lauded for describing his players as 'Lidl' players, for telling it as it was.

What Monk has said is right, we've been nowhere near competitive for over two years and it wouldn't surprise me if he walked away in the summer.

We can only hope. I doubt he will though if another contract offer is in the table.

Its certainly hard to see him getting another job offer at this level. He was pretty much in last chance saloon with us.

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I agree however could it be a bit of reverse psychology for the players as bigging them up doesn't seem to have worked for nigh on 4 seasons now.

Put the boot in and see how they react. Hopefully they will come out fighting and put a run together

I seem to remember Piggy Wilder doing after they lost away at Hull in a game that was on sky. 

The fans pay a price game in game out for a team pushing for at the very least top 6, the chairman keeps telling us we are paying for continued investment in the first team though very little of this seems to have happened for the last 2 years and in fact the fans are paying for Rhodes, Westwood, Hutchinson this season and the likes of Hooper, Adbi, Jones to sit in the stands and never play because they are deem not good enough.

The manager now tells us him aim was never promotion and would appear to be getting his excuses ready why the team continue to struggle under his leadership.

We have a better team now than we did 2 years ago, yet seem to be going backwards with lack of direction, team planning and managerial ability. Players on the pitch don't seem to know what they are doing most of the time and the football on offer is extremely difficult to watch.

If Monk does not feel he has the ability to push for promotion then lets get rid now with the team 6 points off the top 6 with 15 games left as clearly even a mediocre manage with our team to work with would be targeting top 6 as a bare minimum.

There will be 100 manager out there that could get this team we have into the top 6, if G Monk does not feel he has that ability then do the honourable thing and quit. 

Just now, room0035 said:

The fans pay a price game in game out for a team pushing for at the very least top 6, the chairman keeps telling us we are paying for continued investment in the first team though very little of this seems to have happened for the last 2 years and in fact the fans are paying for Rhodes, Westwood, Hutchinson this season and the likes of Hooper, Adbi, Jones to sit in the stands and never play because they are deem not good enough.

The manager now tells us him aim was never promotion and would appear to be getting his excuses ready why the team continue to struggle under his leadership.

We have a better team now than we did 2 years ago, yet seem to be going backwards with lack of direction, team planning and managerial ability. Players on the pitch don't seem to know what they are doing most of the time and the football on offer is extremely difficult to watch.

If Monk does not feel he has the ability to push for promotion then lets get rid now with the team 6 points off the top 6 with 15 games left as clearly even a mediocre manage with our team to work with would be targeting top 6 as a bare minimum.

There will be 100 manager out there that could get this team we have into the top 6, if G Monk does not feel he has that ability then do the honourable thing and quit. 

Care to start? Realistic names..... Go

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

I think after his experience at Birmingham that Monk knows we are going to get a EFL points deduction, I think he was hoping even with a 9 or 12 point reduction we’d still be in with a shout of the play offs, obviously that’s not the case, the players know that too .

I think you pretty much made up every single bit of that.

Edited by SiJ

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We can only hope. I doubt he will though if another contract offer is in the table.

Its certainly hard to see him getting another job offer at this level. He was pretty much in last chance saloon with us.

This is the problem though, yes he's a journey man, but so was Bruce. Bruce was talking up the play offs up to the Villa game last season, not caving in by February.

It could be his version reverse psychology, but it looks like what it is, a surrender statement from a manger who isn't getting the best from his team; 5 points from 8 games is relegation form. He better start inspiring the players to do better than this or he's gone himself.

18 minutes ago, Minton said:

Seems to me that he is trying to lay down a challenge to the squad. 

"I don't think you're good enough. Prove me wrong"

He might be.

I have reservations on whether it will work.

36 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I know the playing side isn’t great but Monk really is doing a good job of bashing them at any opportunity. Yes the big earners will leave but he’ll end up alienating himself from the entire group if he’s not careful 

F*** em. 
these precious players have achieved nothing. 

28 minutes ago, Minton said:

I don't get this site sometimes. 

Posters have been bleating on about the team being basically relegation fodder and we have been flattering to decieve for months and that Monk is deluded. Then when he comes out and says that we are above expectations and are a mid table team in reality he gets slated by the same people.

Madness 

The squad is not relegation fodder. It is upper mid table. Top 6 was always going to be a stretch but we are only 6 points off the playoffs so everything is still to play for. To publicly say we cant do it at this crucial stage of the season is bizarre. 

We know the squad is limited but we have just been outplayed by 2 teams who will be plying their trade in league 1 next season. The performances are not good enough and they are getting worse not better. Monk is trying to cover his backside for his own poor performance. 

10 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Care to start? Realistic names..... Go

Any manager with a game plan, a bit of passion and will to succeed - something it would appear we don't currently have. We have a manager writing of the season in February with the team 6 points outside the play offs with 15 games left.