Monk’s comments

10 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Don't think he said anything wrong just being realistic. If Westwood and Hutchinson are causing problems and disrupting dressing room (Not for first time ) then you want them are far away as possible, you could say we should have played Mc Gugan or Abdi just because we know they have the skill. well, no, Man management is making sure that everyone is playing fully committed and playing to full capacity, but you have to have replacements to come in if others not performing /off form and be able to trust them. Midfield, especially Joey &  Bannan have been under the spotlight but due to injuries we have not be able to do anything about it. If Lee, Reach and perhaps Luongo are fit that will help but I am sure its highlighted to Monk that we need a fresh midfield that he will be able to rectify in the summer. For now we need to keep together, keep fighting, keep away from injuries and hope that the new lads fit in and get fit quickly.

Are you telling me these players are fully

committed and playing to capacity?

Which team are you watching? 
And this to me seems to be Monks slow “get out clause” “payoff”. 
Mid table are not the words Chansiri wants to hear. 
Monks gone rogue. 

Is there a link to radio interview?

my two penneth with Monk so far....

Hes come in with no staff which is a touch strange...presume as his normal staff carried on at Brum so he doesn’t have any others. 

Hes had to work with what he’s got and did do a great job and got us to 3rd. Now that’s an achievement and proved these players can do it.

Hes got fans scapegoat Fox playing well with confidence and turned into a fans fav for a short time. Winning two player of month awards. Who’d have thought that would ever happen. He’s commented on Fox’s attitude n commitment as if that what the team needs more of. Hinting there’s quite a few not acting the same.

He seems to have found Tom Lees out and now Westwood and Hutch seem to be up to summat same as when Jos was here so Monks acted on it. His first opportunity to bring anyone in he’s got players in positions we needed but just need to gel. 

So what has he done so wrong? 

Maybe odd substitution but all managers do that as we don’t know everything behind closed doors like injuries, sickness etc. 

Seems obvious to me that the players just aren’t consistent, proved can do it but not often enough so letting manager, themselves and us down. Seems when things go bad that’s when certain players seem go t!ts up, maybe speaking their mind in wrong way who knows, but seems be a reoccurrence. 

Now Monk has gone thru the bad patch and seen who hasn’t got the consistency and the fight so he’s spoke up a bit without naming names.

is this wrong....no I think he’s seen the light and wants chance to sort it. 

Big summer. Give him chance to put it right. If he can’t or doesn’t then challenge him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Some fans have short memories.

Megson was lauded for describing his players as 'Lidl' players, for telling it as it was.

What Monk has said is right, we've been nowhere near competitive for over two years and it wouldn't surprise me if he walked away in the summer.

Fingers crossed. 

''is there a link to radio interview?

Hes come in with no staff which is a touch strange...presume as his normal staff carried on at Brum so he doesn’t have any others. 

Hes had to work with what he’s got and did do a great job and got us to 3rd. Now that’s an achievement and proved these players can do it.

Hes got fans scapegoat Fox playing well with confidence and turned into a fans fav for a short time. Winning two player of month awards. Who’d have thought that would ever happen. He’s commented on Fox’s attitude n commitment as if that what the team needs more of. Hinting there’s quite a few not acting the same.

He seems to have found Tom Lees out and now Westwood and Hutch seem to be up to summat same as when Jos was here so Monks acted on it. His first opportunity to bring anyone in he’s got players in positions we needed but just need to gel. 

Maybe odd substitution but all managers do that as we don’t know everything behind closed doors like injuries, sickness etc. 

Seems obvious to me that the players just aren’t consistent, proved can do it but not often enough so letting manager, themselves and us down. Seems when things go bad that’s when certain players seem go t!ts up, maybe speaking their mind in wrong way who knows, but seems be a reoccurrence. 

Now Monk has gone thru the bad patch and seen who hasn’t got the consistency and the fight so he’s spoke up a bit without naming names.

Big summer. Give him chance to put it right. If he can’t or doesn’t then challenge him.''

So when a player improves its down to Monk, when  player gets worse it down to the player. Is that right?

Edited by swissmess
error

Lot of people completely missing the point: 

It is not really what he said; it is the fact that he felt the need to say it (in the press) in the first place.

Bar a clumsy attempt at reverse psychology (and that is me being generous), it was either a very moronic thing to say in the press or a very calculated one.

I'm leaning more and more to the latter.

It screams of self preservation and him looking out for himself. 

But hey, renew your season tickets folks and please cough up 30 odd quid for the game on Saturday. I mean, the play offs are unrealistic, what with the 6 point gap and 15 gamea to go, but please part with your cash. 

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

If you're going to renew to continue watching the lads what does it matter when he says it.

If your not renewing again what does it matter.

If he said we were going for the autos would you have renewed on that basis?

It's getting bloody boring listening to the whinge bags looking for any excuse to be negative.

I guess those who don't renew will then start moaning about POTG prices when our fortunes change.

Support the team or don't support the team, it really matters not one jot to anyone.

Totally agree and said so often enough now, but the bloke who is supposed to be running our club should be telling us what our true aspirations are right now instead of another one of his fall guys.

All the very boring whingeing and whining about Monk, just because he is the only one with the b@lls to tell us the truth. To me the premiership is not the holy grail of football and certainly not worth driving the club into the ground for. Like loads of true fans we buy season tickets because we support our team and support the whole team, every player, coach and manager whateverdivision we are in. This manager has walked into a roadcrash of a club and some herberts already want him gone, because he has realised what a real mess we are in and said so! Aloud! Eek. Time to wake up you herberts. It is going to take more than some crafty tactics and a pinch of good luck. Monk has got to build a reliable team out of this lot and start winning some games, hopefully with all of our support.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Lot of people completely missing the point: 

It is not really what he said; it is the fact that he felt the need to say it (in the press) in the first place.

Bar a clumsy attempt at reverse psychology (and that is me being generous), it was either a very moronic thing to say in the press or a very calculated one.

I'm leaning more and more to the latter.

It screams of self preservation and him looking out for himself. 

But hey, renew your season tickets folks and please cough up 30 odd quid for the game on Saturday. I mean, the play offs are unrealistic, what with the 6 point gap and 15 gamea to go, but please part with your cash. 

So DC should sack him for letting his big secret out? We all know that games in this division can swing on one bad decision on the pitch. Refs and players make plenty of those and sone of them earn your team points and some lose your team points. Right now we have had a losing streak and there are so many contributing factors, but all the anti Monk brigade want to do is blame it all on him and think that everything will be fine if we swap him for somebody else. How many times are we going down that route? DC needs to let Monk finish the job of rebuilding the team. This one is broken and hasnt work right for a few seasons now. Monk could be part of the solution, we already had these problems they are nothing new!

14 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not sure any of you have read that properly.

“But if I’m honest at the start of the season it wasn’t an ambition for anyone, realistically. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be fighting for that, we are.

“But you can see how much work needs to be done, I’ve said that from the start.”

Several first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and Monk has already made a handful of notable changes in an attempt to freshen things up going forward.

Ok, so does that offer any insight into what Chansiri asked Monk to do?

To me that suggests that Chansiri has finally realised big changes are needed and a total shift in mentality and personnel is required. A playoff position would be a bonus, but it sounds like that was not the priority this season. It might also explain the 10 year season ticket offer. 

Before Monk arrived after Bruce pushed off everyone on here expected a mid table finish. What has changed?

This. 100%.

I said we'd finish around 9th at the start of the season. Haven't seen anything to change that view. On our day we are a capable team but that day doesn't/hasn't come around often enough to finish in the top 6. Also a top 6 side doesn't chuck away 20 points from winning positions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozzieowl said:

Is there a link to radio interview?

Big summer. Give him chance to put it right. If he can’t or doesn’t then challenge him. 

Fox is playing for a new contract just as Nuhiu did then will revert back to type once it's been earnt, 4 months of decent form doesn't make up for 2 years of rubbish, will we never learn?

Edited by full fathom five

1 hour ago, full fathom five said:

Fox is playing for a new contract just as Nuhiu did then will revert back to type once it's been earnt, 4 months of decent form doesn't make up for 2 years of rubbish, will we never learn?

If this is true then we have the wrong players at the club. 

That also means Monk is right and we need to bring players with the right attitude in.

You can't have it both ways guv. Which is it?

16 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

If this is true then we have the wrong players at the club. 

That also means Monk is right and we need to bring players with the right attitude in.

You can't have it both ways guv. Which is it?

Pelupessy has the right attitude, he just hasn't got the ability to match. The right attitude means nothing if you haven't got the ability to go with it and vice versa.

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Pelupessy has the right attitude, he just hasn't got the ability to match. The right attitude means nothing if you haven't got the ability to go with it and vice versa.

I'm not denying that. JP is a trier, but mostly out of his depth at this level but very occasionally is exactly what we need in certain games. Nothing more than a squad player for me though.

But that's not what you said. You are saying even with ability to cut it at this level some players are taking the wee wee once they've earned their new contract. Those type of players we don't want.

I don't think Fox is one of those type of players.

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not denying that. JP is a trier, but mostly out of his depth at this level but very occasionally is exactly what we need in certain games. Nothing more than a squad player for me though.

But that's not what you said. You are saying even with ability to cut it at this level some players are taking the wee wee once they've earned their new contract. Those type of players we don't want.

I don't think Fox is one of those type of players.

I suppose time will tell

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

I suppose time will tell

I suppose it will.

Don't you find it worrying that we have such a low opinion of our players motives?

Does this not speak volumes about how we've been operating for so long? It's a sorry state of affairs that the club has allowed players like this to infest our ranks for so long and con the club, managers and the fans.

Monk has called them out it would seem and ruffled a few peacock feathers...not before time in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

So DC should sack him for letting his big secret out? We all know that games in this division can swing on one bad decision on the pitch. Refs and players make plenty of those and sone of them earn your team points and some lose your team points. Right now we have had a losing streak and there are so many contributing factors, but all the anti Monk brigade want to do is blame it all on him and think that everything will be fine if we swap him for somebody else. How many times are we going down that route? DC needs to let Monk finish the job of rebuilding the team. This one is broken and hasnt work right for a few seasons now. Monk could be part of the solution, we already had these problems they are nothing new!

Like Sij, I’m not advocating sacking Monk just yet, it’s in all our interests that he is able to turn this around. My main gripe has been the performances, and to a certain extent, reasonable earlier results have bought him time. 
The problem is, it appears that results have started to catch up with performances. It’s now 1 win in 8, including 5 defeats, and a defeat tonight, against bottom club Luton would put him on very shaky ground