Monk’s comments

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Like Sij, I’m not advocating sacking Monk just yet, it’s in all our interests that he is able to turn this around. My main gripe has been the performances, and to a certain extent, reasonable earlier results have bought him time. 
The problem is, it appears that results have started to catch up with performances. It’s now 1 win in 8, including 5 defeats, and a defeat tonight, against bottom club Luton would put him on very shaky ground 

Not advocating sacking him ?

you have called him every thing from a pig to a dog !

• Like 1

Just now, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I suppose it will.

Don't you find it worrying that we have such a low opinion of our players motives?

Does this not speak volumes about how we've been operating for so long? It's a sorry state of affairs that the club has allowed players like this to infest our ranks for so long and con the club, managers and the fans.

Monk has called them out it would seem and ruffled a few peacock feathers...not before time in my opinion.

It's frightening but players need to respect their manager for him to get the best out of them. That respect is hard earned thus you need a true leader, we haven't had one of those in a long time. That in my opinion is why a culture of just doing enough to get by and it's been festering for a few years. I've heard the stories of how Carlos let the players skip training, I've seen weak characters like Jos who couldn't inspire. This club needs strong leadership from the top down both on and off the field and until we get that the employees/players will continue in their comfort zone. I don't believe Monk is the man for the job based on what I've seen and heard, his past record isn't good and Swansea and Leeds fans don't have a lot of good things to say about him either. DC needs to employ winners and leaders from the top down and change the whole culture of the club, until this happens we are never going to progress. Quit with the stupid schemes/ticket prices. Get the executive boxes filled. Get some outside sponsorship. Reconnect the club with the fans/community.

8 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Not advocating sacking him ?

you have called him every thing from a pig to a dog !

Voicing concern about where I feel he is making mistakes, is not the same as advocating the sack. My hope, is not for his dismissal, more that he changes tack, and hopefully turns things around. If he doesn’t, it won’t be the fans who cost him his job

11 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

It's frightening but players need to respect their manager for him to get the best out of them. That respect is hard earned thus you need a true leader, we haven't had one of those in a long time. That in my opinion is why a culture of just doing enough to get by and it's been festering for a few years. I've heard the stories of how Carlos let the players skip training, I've seen weak characters like Jos who couldn't inspire. This club needs strong leadership from the top down both on and off the field and until we get that the employees/players will continue in their comfort zone. I don't believe Monk is the man for the job based on what I've seen and heard, his past record isn't good and Swansea and Leeds fans don't have a lot of good things to say about him either. DC needs to employ winners and leaders from the top down and change the whole culture of the club, until this happens we are never going to progress. Quit with the stupid schemes/ticket prices. Get the executive boxes filled. Get some outside sponsorship. Reconnect the club with the fans/community.

I agree with some things in there except your first statement.

The default starting position should be the players respect the manager. Not the other way around. If that respect is eroded over time then fair enough, maybe he isn't the right man.

All you are doing is reinforcing what most people already think, that a number of players think they run the club.

Granted Monk has to respect them as professional footballers but if they are acting in an unprofessional way trying to call the shots the manager's respect for them will also erode.

The line in the sand has to be drawn and I think Monk has the character to deal with anyone crossing that line.

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Like Sij, I’m not advocating sacking Monk just yet, it’s in all our interests that he is able to turn this around. My main gripe has been the performances, and to a certain extent, reasonable earlier results have bought him time. 
The problem is, it appears that results have started to catch up with performances. It’s now 1 win in 8, including 5 defeats, and a defeat tonight, against bottom club Luton would put him on very shaky ground 

I agree. Another defeat would put him on shaky ground, but how many times have you already said this? What people like you and Sij need to acknowledge is that the whole club has been on very very shaky ground for two or three seasons now. Haven't you noticed? Have you really just expected us to play winning, entertaining football every season under a variety of different coaches and managers with everything that has been going on financially and player wise? Wake up. Describing the earthquake we are having as very shaky ground is a bit of an understatement, but Monk is tasked with trying to get us through it and he has only just started getting people in that could help. The majority are still behind him, are you?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Which only goes to confirm how far we have slipped.

If we had the 2015/16 team this season we'd be top 3 but we have a shadow of that team still wondering what could have been

Wake up peeps. This team needs ripping up to start again.

yes it does . 1 problem good or bad there wont be a 100 million war chest for player contracts and money for signings , any future manager unless the ffp rules completely change in future . in last 3 years managers have had pennies to spend on loans/freebies . expect no difference this summer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Voicing concern about where I feel he is making mistakes, is not the same as advocating the sack. My hope, is not for his dismissal, more that he changes tack, and hopefully turns things around. If he doesn’t, it won’t be the fans who cost him his job

Give him a bell mate and offer him your invaluable advice, I'm sure he's never met anybody that thinks he should be doing better, especially in such ideal circumstances. He should think himself lucky to be whinged, moaned and booed at by such loyal supporters as ours shouldnt he. Say you told us so when he has all his new players in next season and got all the big money earning wasters out. 

To my mind the club is full of $h1t at the moment and Monk is the enema. It will get a lot $hittier before its finished, but after we've had a good clear out, we can maybe start to walk with that spring back in our step and smell the roses again.lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

yes it does . 1 problem good or bad there wont be a 100 million war chest for player contracts and money for signings , any future manager unless the ffp rules completely change in future . in last 3 years managers have had pennies to spend on loans/freebies . expect no difference this summer. 

Agree. The scouting team need to start earning their keep and get good young prospects on the cheap of course.

Our academy system needs a thorough shake up as well to bring players through. We seem to have a glut of U23s who will never make the step up to the first team. We've got to be more ruthless and recognise those below par and let them go. We need to build a development path with an excellent reputation for being players through to senior level that attracts young prospects countrywide.

Like I said before a root and branch transformation is required here.

13 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I agree. Another defeat would put him on shaky ground, but how many times have you already said this? What people like you and Sij need to acknowledge is that the whole club has been on very very shaky ground for two or three seasons now. Haven't you noticed? Have you really just expected us to play winning, entertaining football every season under a variety of different coaches and managers with everything that has been going on financially and player wise? Wake up. Describing the earthquake we are having as very shaky ground is a bit of an understatement, but Monk is tasked with trying to get us through it and he has only just started getting people in that could help. The majority are still behind him, are you?

If you read my posts, you would be aware that I have repeatedly acknowledged the fact that the club has been run poorly for a number of seasons. 

I also have some pretty damming views of the current squad. 

But, despite all that, I don't think a manager should be coming out with such statements when there are 15 games to go and a 6 point gap to make up. 

Are we good enough? Probably not. 

But me saying that is one thing - Garry Monk coming out in the press and saying it seem completely unproductive imo. 

Just look at the reaction. Surely, that is proof enough that it wasn't the smartest thing for him to come out with? 

Finally, what came out yesterday from Monk in no way shape or form justifies the recent performances/run of results. 

We are playing like a League One side right now and it just isn't good enough. 

Edited by SiJ

23 hours ago, agentwalker said:

DC is going to love that interview 

I wonder if this, along with his calling out the players is his way of nudging DC into sacking him with a good payout. His interview after the last match uninspiring and repetitive as it was falls into this category IMO. This defeatist attitude is appalling when a couple of good results could mean we're back in the mix by Saturday night.

Guest everydays_wednesday
13 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Give him a bell mate and offer him your invaluable advice, I'm sure he's never met anybody that thinks he should be doing better, especially in such ideal circumstances. He should think himself lucky to be whinged, moaned and booed at by such loyal supporters as ours shouldnt he. Say you told us so when he has all his new players in next season and got all the big money earning wasters out. 

To my mind the club is full of $h1t at the moment and Monk is the enema. It will get a lot $hittier before its finished, but after we've had a good clear out, we can maybe start to walk with that spring back in our step and smell the roses again.lol

The trouble is when I have a good clear out the toilet still stinks for quite a while afterwards..... Fear the same here, but it is a necessity.

5 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I think most of us are aware of the mistakes that have been made since DC assumed control It’s not a case of scapegoating Monk, I’ve been vocal about all manner of decisions, from our scattergun signing of older players, the signing of Winnall and Rhodes, the knee jerk appointments of poor managers and advisors. That stance has often set me at odds with many on here, but I’m just calling it as I see it. 
As for Monk, I wasn’t particularly keen on his appointment, having seen traits in his personality that suggested, to me at least, that there might be trouble further down the line. However, he is now the manager, and it’s his decisions that will shape HIS future. Monk can only control what he can control, and the wider problems that the club face, won’t be resolved by him 

Do I expect him to play winning, entertaining football? No, I don’t expect us to be winning every game, but on the other hand, I think it is possible for us to be playing entertaining football Contrary to public opinion, I do think Monk has a squad of players capable of playing that way. Currently he is neither winning, nor entertaining

17 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

If only, Monk doesn’t strike me as somebody who ever listens to advice

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If you read my posts, you would be aware that I have repeatedly acknowledged the fact that the club has been run poorly for a number of seasons. 

I also have some pretty damming views of the current squad. 

But, despite all that, I don't think a manager should be coming out with such statements when there are 15 games to go and a 6 point gap to make up. 

Are we good enough? Probably not. 

But me saying that is one thing - Garry Monk coming out in the press and saying it seem completely unproductive imo. 

Just look at the reaction. Surely, that is proof enough that it wasn't the smartest thing for him to come out with? 

Finally, what came out yesterday from Monk in no way shape or form justifies the recent performances/run of results. 

We are playing like a League One side right now and it just isn't good enough. 

I don't think we'd pull up any trees in league 1 at present either.

In my view Monk is saying to the players. The way you are playing is not good enough for the playoffs. .... Prove me wrong.

I think nothing will motivate these players to perform. All those out of contract on big salaries know the club is in FFP jeopardy and  they will not be renewed come the end of the season.

The problem I have is suspecting this why the hell aren't they busting their guts to put themselves in the shop window, for their own benefit and a contract elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think most of us are aware of the mistakes that have been made since DC assumed control It’s not a case of scapegoating Monk, I’ve been vocal about all manner of decisions, from our scattergun signing of older players, the signing of Winnall and Rhodes, the knee jerk appointments of poor managers and advisors. That stance has often set me at odds with many on here, but I’m just calling it as I see it. 
As for Monk, I wasn’t particularly keen on his appointment, having seen traits in his personality that suggested, to me at least, that there might be trouble further down the line. However, he is now the manager, and it’s his decisions that will shape HIS future. Monk can only control what he can control, and the wider problems that the club face, won’t be resolved by him 

Do I expect him to play winning, entertaining football? No, I don’t expect us to be winning every game, but on the other hand, I think it is possible for us to be playing entertaining football Contrary to public opinion, I do think Monk has a squad of players capable of playing that way. Currently he is neither winning, nor entertaining

So you didn't like him, or want him before he came and now you feel are fully justified in continuing to dislike him now that we are "down the line". Except we are not really, down the line are we? At the start of December you would have been laughed at for some of your posts, but you chose to keep your thoughts to yourself then did you, or did you have a go at him for winning us points in a style you do not approve of? I cannot  remember, because I was quite surprised that we were getting away with it, to be honest, because so many players were still making so many mistakes and a few of our dependable players were showing signs of being  ill, or injured.

But, wait a minute, all of a sudden you get the slide of bad results and boom, the knee jerk reactionaries can spring out of the shadows and tell us all very loudly, that they were right all along! Brilliant. Except we have had just one game since Monk has had chance to put any new players in and drop a few of our high earning under performers. What you need to do mate is wait for more than just one game and keep your powder dry and if this poor unfortunate, scapegoat of a manager can be a little tiny bit stronger than you and your jelly kneed chums, he might just start to turn things around a bit and a year from now you can come back and tell us you are sorry for being so weak and impatient. If of course after a year we have Monks new players in, the old guard out and things are still looking as grim, we can tell you how sorry we are for standing by the man when you were so obviously right and we can all have a good whinge and boo together until DC gets rid.

Right now though me old c0ck, it is just a tiny bit premature. Garry Monk has told the good players the average players and the wasters what they need to do, some of them have shown they can't do it, some of them have disagreed with his assessment of what they should be doing and are now waiting to go (I am willing to bet, to clubs that will pay them nothing like their luxury player wages here), some have risen to his challenge and are ready to play, hopefully alongside the new lads who have just had the one game and the players coming back from injury. I am one of those optimistic people that can see the changes being made and although I do not agree with all of them, some of them were the best ones we could take at the time, like the cheapo options we managed to scrape in this summer and the three loan players we have brought in this January, some have worked a bit, some a bit more and some maybe not at all, but the changes are being made and hopefully Monks lists of players to go and players to arrive will give us a fresh start this summer and all those dummies can be swept back under the carpet.

lol :1276983839_MonkHome:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monk will be gone in 3 months. Back on the merry go round of managers.

Wouldn't surprise me if Chansiri is ALREADY looking around and sounding out other potential managers.

Who ? ..............your guess is as good as mine. 

NOTHING will change whilst Chansiri is the owner. NOTHING !

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I’m afraid I’m not. I know the question wasn’t aimed at me by the way. It’s not just results it’s the bloody performances. Watching Wednesday has become a chore and it shouldn’t be. The big worry for me is it has been the same at his previous clubs. I dont expect us to win every week playing attacking football. I do expect a well set up balanced team that works it’s socks off for each other. We were getting that under Bruce. We are getting the opposite under Monk. I see no point in sacking him now, there’s no obvious candidate, but I hope to God chansiri is seriously considering who he trusts to rebuild this summer