Just got back

Stood in the away end last night - there was a sense of inevitability about it all amongst the crowd. The squad we had available is frighteningly bad.

The game was a shocker

It looked 2 terrible teams in the first half, in the second it still looked like two terrible teams but one who had a bit of fight about them.

Our forward line is up there with the worst in the league for me. 

Nuhiu is ideal at certain stages for 15 minutes at the end but that is it.

Winnall - just hasn't got it sadly 

Rhodes  - well we all know about Rhodes

The wide men are so hit and miss it's unreal and Iorfa's pace in the middle gets us out of so much trouble at the back!

(once at right back we look a shambles)

The DC & CC era is coming home to roost and Monk has a real fight on his hands to steer this sinking ship i'm afraid 

8 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Bringing Hunt on last week smacked of Jos bringing on that boy in the West Brom game.  Neither are strong enough for Championship football but the point was made...

And Jos was lambasted for that and his decision to phase out the older pro's that perhaps were on the wane/had too much influence/poison in the dressing room ...

Big task for any manager at our club .. when bone idleness and comfort set in, its tough breaking players out of that mentality unless you rip everything up and start from scratch .. and financially, thats something that we can ill afford to do ...

Embarrassing really

Personally, what happened under DC and CC's tenure after the Hull final has set us up to be in the farcical situation ...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vulva said:

Quite simply, disgraceful. Due to family etc, don’t do many aways these days, and won’t be doing anymore until this squad is cleared out.

Over the years I’ve seen worse teams than this, but at least the vast majority of them played to their full ability. This team, more to the point this squad, have took a kings ransom out of this club, and we’ve ended up worse off than where we started.

Monk isn’t to blame here either, so forget that one straightaway. 

Shambles, against a dreadful Wigan side. But at least they wanted to win.

That was was as bad as it gets tonight. Awful. 

bet your blaming me lol for telling you that there was pay on the gate. well I had a 4 hour round trip to stoke boxing day going though thick fog and couldn't see a thing after watching us get totally slaughtered by stoke even though score didn't suggest it. I would have gone if it was last Saturday so glad ive not wasted another day of my life. 

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Difficult to argue with anything you are saying, although Monk keeps picking the same wasters in the same couple of formations with the same approach so don't think he can be completely absolved of any criticism. Did anyone really expect Rhodes to make a difference as sub? Might as well have given the young striker a run and he could have gone for Reach at LB when Fox went off rather than bringing an out of form CB on, we just invited a poor side to have a go at us and despite wasting many opportunities we still inevitably cracked.

Said after the 2nd went in that getting beat hurts but can be taken on the chin if the effort is evident. That 2nd half it clearly wasn't evident and, as has been the case all too often in the past 6 weeks or so, if we concede the players simply do not have a reaction in them. 

The game sounded very poor quality but as you say, Wigan kept going and had belief, helped by the fact we offered nothing to stop them believing they could win it in 45 minutes. 

For the 2nd time in 3 games it is difficult to name one player who went close to doing themselves justice, that simply can't be right. 

hear what your saying ,99% of us agree that we need a complete clearout of these wasters , but with the players out injured who could have started instead? the only ones could have been reach for murphy , or lees for borner , or Rhodes for winnall do you think that would have made a blind bit of difference? and it wouldn't have mattered what formation he choose . as for the kids ,do you follow the u23s at all? I don't really go to the u23 games but have seen most of the younger players live and none of them look anywhere near good enough , the lad borokov has been only a u23 sub the past 3-4 u23 games scored only twice this season in a very poor standard of football for a struggling u23 team . youth at this minute im affaid aint the answer , can you imagine 3-4 of them playing Saturday and getting mauled by the lions? in the most toxic of atmospheres? . our only hope is some miracle happens between now and fri night and 3-4 leave and 5 new faces arrive . 

Edited by handworth52
h

18 minutes ago, torres said:

Stood in the away end last night - there was a sense of inevitability about it all amongst the crowd. The squad we had available is frighteningly bad.

The game was a shocker

It looked 2 terrible teams in the first half, in the second it still looked like two terrible teams but one who had a bit of fight about them.

Our forward line is up there with the worst in the league for me. 

Nuhiu is ideal at certain stages for 15 minutes at the end but that is it.

Winnall - just hasn't got it sadly 

Rhodes  - well we all know about Rhodes

The wide men are so hit and miss it's unreal and Iorfa's pace in the middle gets us out of so much trouble at the back!

(once at right back we look a shambles)

The DC & CC era is coming home to roost and Monk has a real fight on his hands to steer this sinking ship i'm afraid 

some of our supporters need to realise this ,there are still clowns what want carlos back the man who started our huge decline with his sidekick chansiri. wigan won 1 in 18 yet I and many of us knew this result was going to be the outcome.  as for the strikers I doubt even in league 2 they would cut it . our midfield available is at best mid league 1 standard . and now things are getting hot in the kitchen suddenly our massive injury list is returning . without fletcher this season we would be around the bottom 3. our form is 3points from 6 games bottom of the league form . 

What I really don’t want to hear is one or two of these sub standard bottlers coming out with all that “ we know we have let the fans down and we know what we have to do to make it better “ tosh... heard it at least a dozen times this season.

You can’t make it better because you haven’t got the talent or heart to do so, so spare us the platitudes.

9 hours ago, britpunk77 said:

Back four never looked comfortable post Fox and the majority of ‘em were very poor.

There was a lot to pick from tonight if Monk is having a clear out.

Someone may have already mentioned but what I couldn't understand is why three positional changes had to be made when fox went off.  Centre half to right back,right back to left back and Lees on to centre half. As stated the back four looked clueless after that when surely Reach on at left back would have made more sense.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As I said I'd have stuck the young lad on up front instead of Rhodes and would probably have started with Reach after his telling contribution to help seal the win in the last game. 

Make no mistake though, there may be issues tactically but the blame for the complete lack of effort, desire and fight in the 2nd half lies with every one of the players that failed to make any decent contribution after Fox went off.

based on what? he has only scored twice all season for u23s and has been a u23 sub for last 6 weeks ,he almost certainly will get released this summer . nobody but nobody will argue a case for Rhodes , getting him out should have been done in summer when we could have lost his 40k a week wages to Norwich , that's down to chansiri who is sending this club into oblivion . get Rhodes out now see if a club will pay half his wages ,then pray he does well and we can off load him this summer , 40k a week on our books is fatal if we go down this season ,that wont depend on our players it will be based on who wins our lawyers or efl lawyers as no way our players are keeping us up with a 20 point him no way. 

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Interesting that Borukov has started appearing on the bench given that I haven't seen a single person who has watched him a few times suggest he is good enough for first team consideration. Similar with Alex Hunt. You have to wonder if Monk isn't trying to send some signals to some of those he's getting frustrated with.

Maybe it's because we literally don't have any other players available for selection.  Other than Westwood and Bates, do we actually have a fit senior player who wasn't in the squad last night?

14 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

What I really don’t want to hear is one or two of these sub standard bottlers coming out with all that “ we know we have let the fans down and we know what we have to do to make it better “ tosh... heard it at least a dozen times this season.

You can’t make it better because you haven’t got the talent or heart to do so, so spare us the platitudes.

Absolutely, it’s time to stop picking players who have no effort and just play the youngsters until we can bring in other options. Yes Jos may have been trying this tactic too but I don’t think any of us felt he was the right man for the job on the whole.  Saturdays line up will be very interesting 

Absolutely bullied in that second half. Physically battered and the players showed a real weak mentality. Monk gets no blame by the posts here  but surely whatever he said at half time had less impact than Cookes rocket up the.... 

Stayed overnight in Wigan after the match. On the train homeward bound now. Match was awful, we were worse than the worst team in the league, and deserved what we got. I don't pretend to have the answer, but it is all too easy to lose the plot in this league and slide inexorably downwards. Beware of the trapdoor to Lrague One.

1 minute ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Stayed overnight in Wigan after the match. On the train homeward bound now. Match was awful, we were worse than the worst team in the league, and deserved what we got. I don't pretend to have the answer, but it is all too easy to lose the plot in this league and slide inexorably downwards. Beware of the trapdoor to Lrague One.

im aware of it very aware. lets hope our lawyers employed by chansiri are better than whats on the pitch because they aint getting anywhere near 70 points what we need if we get a big hit this season. 

10 hours ago, s6 owl said:

What else can he do? Who else can he chose? You can't expect anything else from this group.

Nobody should be surprised at what happend tonight as it was so utterly predictable.

Makes me wonder if Jos saw some of the same problems, and that was partly why he tried to bring the youth through as quickly as he did?

10 hours ago, vulva said:

Quite simply, disgraceful. Due to family etc, don’t do many aways these days, and won’t be doing anymore until this squad is cleared out.

Over the years I’ve seen worse teams than this, but at least the vast majority of them played to their full ability. This team, more to the point this squad, have took a kings ransom out of this club, and we’ve ended up worse off than where we started.

Monk isn’t to blame here either, so forget that one straightaway. 

Shambles, against a dreadful Wigan side. But at least they wanted to win.

That was was as bad as it gets tonight. Awful. 

The only ones who did the club justice last night was you and the others travelling to support them on the road. Sorry you had to endure that, but our away following are truly the best and worthy of praise!

All the grumble belongs to the players this round!

Now we need another all-out performance to set things straight this weekend. It's a shame the players are so flipping unprofessional they need these to get their poo together.

10 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Difficult to argue with anything you are saying, although Monk keeps picking the same wasters in the same couple of formations with the same approach so don't think he can be completely absolved of any criticism. Did anyone really expect Rhodes to make a difference as sub? Might as well have given the young striker a run and he could have gone for Reach at LB when Fox went off rather than bringing an out of form CB on, we just invited a poor side to have a go at us and despite wasting many opportunities we still inevitably cracked.

Said after the 2nd went in that getting beat hurts but can be taken on the chin if the effort is evident. That 2nd half it clearly wasn't evident and, as has been the case all too often in the past 6 weeks or so, if we concede the players simply do not have a reaction in them. 

The game sounded very poor quality but as you say, Wigan kept going and had belief, helped by the fact we offered nothing to stop them believing they could win it in 45 minutes. 

For the 2nd time in 3 games it is difficult to name one player who went close to doing themselves justice, that simply can't be right. 

Pick a line up for next game that doesnt include  anyone from last nights game.

• Haha 1