Carlos on TalkSport

27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I never said Carlos had the managerial pedigree of the likes of Warnock and few have been seen to do a better job at any level than Wilder in recent years. If we had such good players that anyone could have got us promoted and Carlos is one of the worst we have had, why has it got worse with a similar set of players, most of whom shouldn't be classed as over the hill, since then?

We have had better manager and we have certainly had worse. Don't think there is a need for the hatred that seems apparent.

It's got worse because 

Loovens ,aged overnight 

Wallace, virtually retired 

Kieron Lee ,injuries have done for him

( brought back too soon ?)

Hooper, injuries did for him 

Westwood , injuries / age 

13 players out for virtually one season 

Would you have Carlos back ..now ?

Honest question 

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

We wasted money, every which way you look at it, and the club is still in a mess because of it. That said I don't blame Carlos for this with hindsight. I

blame the clubs connection to an agent who we outsourced our transfer policy too. (Allegedly)

No  doubt we wasted money but the outlay in the first season got a decent return, Hunt, Pudil, Hooper, Bannan, Forestieri, there were more positive transfers than negatives in his first season.

It started to go downhill transfer wise after Wembley when we were crying out for some pace and a beast of a midfielder. We instead signed an expensive crock in Abdi - a player with a decent record at this level but not what we needed most. Later that second season we then signed two strikers when it barely looked like the manager wanted 1 and neither were able to get into the side regularly at that time or any time since. 

3 minutes ago, the monk said:

It's got worse because 

Loovens ,aged overnight 

Wallace, virtually retired 

Kieron Lee ,injuries have done for him

( brought back too soon ?)

Hooper, injuries did for him 

Westwood , injuries / age 

13 players out for virtually one season 

Would you have Carlos back ..now ?

Honest question 

Ross Wallace, one of the first signings of the Carlos era so must have been a positive acquisition who played well under him, Hooper another player brought in during his time. Loovens, Lee and Westwood played their best football for us under Carlos. Whose fault is it that we haven't adequately replaced these players in the two years plus since Carlos? 

Yes we have had much less money to spend but the likes of Loovens, Lee and Wallace were brought in for not much up front.

For me Carlos should have gone after Huddersfield as he knew he had missed his best chance and we needed a fresh face. I wouldn't want him back in our current position but I would say the same about every manager we have had since I started watching us in the 80's. Managers rarely have a more successful spell if they go back to a former club. 

22 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Is that not what we have always been?

Or did 2 cup final losses in 1993 still leave your head fuzzy?

Depends what you class as success. Losing two cup finals in the same season was a failure but to get to those finals was a success.

Winning a domestic trophy in 1991, finishing 3rd in the country in 92, reaching two cup finals and finishing 7th in 93, finishing 7th and reaching a cup semi-final in 94 and finishing 7th in 97 I would say was sustained success for us comparatively and should have been something to build on or at least look to sustain. Spending 20 years and counting pretty much since then outside the top flight, most of the time below even halfway up the 2nd division was not something many of us would have envisaged at that time.  

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No  doubt we wasted money but the outlay in the first season got a decent return, Hunt, Pudil, Hooper, Bannan, Forestieri, there were more positive transfers than negatives in his first season.

It started to go downhill transfer wise after Wembley when we were crying out for some pace and a beast of a midfielder. We instead signed an expensive crock in Abdi - a player with a decent record at this level but not what we needed most. Later that second season we then signed two strikers when it barely looked like the manager wanted 1 and neither were able to get into the side regularly at that time or any time since. 

And we still don't have that midfield beast...

26 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Agreed, something definitely dodgy about the incomings and outgoings. Even still to this day I think that bearded dude is still appearing on youtube videos around the coaching staff and players... Paxio?? (I think)

Not blaming him but just dont really understand what his role is

This is the real problem. However, I don't even know if it can be avoided. It seems that's how modern football works. 

I'd rather we'd gone out and signed 20 players over the last four years with a point to prove from League One / Championship rather than the has beens we ended up with on incredible wages who weren't good enough for the Premier. 

34 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Agreed, something definitely dodgy about the incomings and outgoings. Even still to this day I think that bearded dude is still appearing on youtube videos around the coaching staff and players... Paxio?? (I think)

Not blaming him but just dont really understand what his role is

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

This is the real problem. However, I don't even know if it can be avoided. It seems that's how modern football works. 

I'd rather we'd gone out and signed 20 players over the last four years with a point to prove from League One / Championship rather than the has beens we ended up with on incredible wages who weren't good enough for the Premier. 

He does appear to be still around and while this sort of thing may be more prevalent in modern football is does seem strange that Chansiri is seemingly unwilling to divulge exactly what his role is. 

Every club makes mistakes in the transfer market, during Carlos' 1st season whoever was making the transfer decisions got a lot right but the fact that two of our clubs most expensive signings ever have been players that we didn't seem to need and never fitted into the first 11 is hugely disappointing and has had a significant negative impact. 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He does appear to be still around and while this sort of thing may be more prevalent in modern football is does seem strange that Chansiri is seemingly unwilling to divulge exactly what his role is. 

Every club makes mistakes in the transfer market, during Carlos' 1st season whoever was making the transfer decisions got a lot right but the fact that two of our clubs most expensive signings ever have been players that we didn't seem to need and never fitted into the first 11 is hugely disappointing and has had a significant negative impact. 

In that first season we also got a lot wrong. We got some right and found a way of playing. But we still made some pretty poor signings. And you could even argue the likes of Hooper and FF haven’t been value for money given time they spent out injured.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In that first season we also got a lot wrong. We got some right and found a way of playing. But we still made some pretty poor signings. And you could even argue the likes of Hooper and FF haven’t been value for money given time they spent out injured.

You get nothing for £3M in this era. Forestieri and Hooper were relatively good value for money, far better than the likes of Rhodes and Abdi who contributed little at a great cost. 

We did have to find a way of playing that first season, no surprise as it was the managers 1st season in this country and half of our starting 11 had never played together, Once we did settle it was largely enjoyable to watch. 

Matias and Sougou turned out to be poor signings in that first season but as I said, you could look at every club and list a poor signing or two most years. That first season was decent in that respect.  

53 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ross Wallace, one of the first signings of the Carlos era so must have been a positive acquisition who played well under him, Hooper another player brought in during his time. Loovens, Lee and Westwood played their best football for us under Carlos. Whose fault is it that we haven't adequately replaced these players in the two years plus since Carlos? 

Yes we have had much less money to spend but the likes of Loovens, Lee and Wallace were brought in for not much up front.

For me Carlos should have gone after Huddersfield as he knew he had missed his best chance and we needed a fresh face. I wouldn't want him back in our current position but I would say the same about every manager we have had since I started watching us in the 80's. Managers rarely have a more successful spell if they go back to a former club. 

Think we will have to beg to differ pal 

Nowt wrong with good debate though 

We all want the same thing UTO 

Wasn't our wage bill around 7th or 8th in his first season? And people treat is an absolute failure that we didn't go up, bizarre. The way he got us playing in such a short space of time was fantastic.

In hindsight he should have probably gone after Huddersfield semi final, but looking back that is exactly the sort of big character that this clubs needs at the helm. 

5 minutes ago, the monk said:

Think we will have to beg to differ pal 

Nowt wrong with good debate though 

We all want the same thing UTO 

absolutely mate, be a bit dull if we all had exactly the same opinion.

I don't think he's the messiah, nor do I think he was a very naughty boy, somewhere in between, more positive than negative from my point of view the other way for you, both sides of the debate have their merits but I'll argue against anyone who blames him for everything that's wrong with our club, even now.