Carlos on TalkSport

6 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Wasn't our wage bill around 7th or 8th in his first season? And people treat is an absolute failure that we didn't go up, bizarre. The way he got us playing in such a short space of time was fantastic.

In hindsight he should have probably gone after Huddersfield semi final, but looking back that is exactly the sort of big character that this clubs needs at the helm. 

He helped to generate a lot of positive publicity around the club which certainly has its merits in this media driven age, put bums on seats at Hillsborough too and got those who had bought seats off their seats, especially in the first season. Second season was a little more measured in approach but I turned up confident of getting a positive result. 

You only have to look through a few of the threads on here past couple of seasons and see how many times the word boring is used in reference to us as a whole. 

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You get nothing for £3M in this era. Forestieri and Hooper were relatively good value for money, far better than the likes of Rhodes and Abdi who contributed little at a great cost. 

We did have to find a way of playing that first season, no surprise as it was the managers 1st season in this country and half of our starting 11 had never played together, Once we did settle it was largely enjoyable to watch. 

Matias and Sougou turned out to be poor signings in that first season but as I said, you could look at every club and list a poor signing or two most years. That first season was decent in that respect.  

Fair enough. Like has been said how responsible he was for transfers. He hinted in an interview with the Star I think that he had a list and it was up to whoever above him to do the negotiations. Whether he ever got his top targets I don’t know. The fact he rarely played the likes of Rhodes, Abdi, McGugan etc suggests probably not. I don’t think they were ever his players. 

I liked the bloke he was a character. But he had a very short term approach, and his handling of the squad was poor and started to show in the third season. The amount of injuries were unprecedented. That wasn’t all coincidence for me. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

That's the trouble with Wednesday fans. Why have silk when you can have a scruffy old rag. Is it not too much to ask for better for once?

Well to qualify for 2 play offs is better than anything I’ve seen in the last 20 years scruffy old rag or not .

12 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Well to qualify for 2 play offs is better than anything I’ve seen in the last 20 years scruffy old rag or not .

I think we are miles apart when it comes to measuring success for a football team. Our football club has been run so badly that our apathetic fan base think that 2 Championship play offs are a measure of success. You might want to consider the league 1 play off an achievement? I'd say it was an embarrassment that we were there in the first place. Winning silverware, gaining promotion to the top flight and playing in Europe are things to celebrate. Failing in the play offs isn't.

Edited by Ronnie Starling
  • Thanks 1

Tbf, we were an excellent team to watch in his first season. 

Just great attacking football.

It all went a bit dour and negative after that, albeit we were still pretty decent in the second season. 

After Udders it was all a bit of a nightmare. The scars are still there to this day.

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, we were an excellent team to watch in his first season. 

Just great attacking football.

It all went a bit dour and negative after that, albeit we were still pretty decent in the second season. 

After Udders it was all a bit of a nightmare. The scars are still there to this day.

There were some shocking performances in his first season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I think we are miles apart when it comes to measuring success for a football team. Our football club has been run so badly that our apathetic fan base think that 2 Championship play offs are a measure of success. You might want to consider the league 1 play off an achievement? I'd say it was an embarrassment that we were there in the first place. Winning silverware, gaining promotion to the top flight and playing in Europe are things to celebrate. Failing in the play offs isn't.

Celebrate ? Who mentioned celebrating I just stated reaching play offs is better than anything I’ve seen in the last 20 years almost . I’m a tad more realistic than you perhaps because I don’t ever see us competing for European football until the whole infrastructure of the club is changed .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Yep i thought so, too much tip tappie for a start. Second season even worse, far too negative, with a more possitive approach i don't think auto would have been out of the question.

Their was a glimpse of what we could do ..occaionally.

Though I did like him, just the football was boring as foook in many games.

Having said that, things haven't improved on the entertainment or reletive success front since he left.

14 hours ago, BIG D said:

Still brought us the best football for 25 years. I’d love to hear your thoughts on all the other sh ite we’ve had in the dugout since Big Ron. 

No; Brian Laws has us playing the best most exciting football since Big Ron and he hasn’t been surpassed as yet. Plus Laws did it with lesser players than Carlos. 

The way I look at Carlos is like we had a good relationship but things turned sour and 2 years later he’s still singing outside our Bedroom window at 2am. Leave us alone Carlos it was good while it lasted, I’m going to ring the police unless you go away.

Guest The Horse

He was the figurehead for a collective that effectively went all in on one spin of the roulette table.

Chansiri put the money up.

Paxo saw a chance to line his pockets with his Doyen boys.

Carlos didn't have quite the right skill set to see it through.

Fans who hadn't seen us in the Prem or had been starved of entertaining football understandably lapped it up like a starving man at a banquet.

But ultimately it all resulted in failure.

Hopefully DC has learned from those first three points.

Spend but spend wisely.

Recruitment team that has previous experience and the best interests of the club at heart.

Manager who knows the league.

We seem to have that now. Just got to ride out this EFL storm and see where we're at.

14 hours ago, dorian gray said:

yes they were disasters, we got into them, then s**t ourselves, the second ones enough to bury an elephant with. we'd never know whether 'ull had better players or not, tactically our side went out unarmed.

but speaking of better players winning as you do, why weren't brighton in the final, they finished 3rd. and were easily the best side on paper, so they should have been in the final and won according to your logic.

if you think we did anything other than s**t ourselves, it's you who is attempting to re write history, but you do so every time your hero's name comes up.

Blah Blah Blah, 

ps I never mentioned Winston Churchill!!

10 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Wait...

You mean a team, over a 46 game season, had a couple of shocking performances?!

No way.

I suppose the team who finished third in 1991 aren't all that. I mean, they did get 6 put past them by Leeds (at home). Oh, and Dem Blades did the double over them.

Bloody rubbish