Carlos on TalkSport

59 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Wait...

You mean a team, over a 46 game season, had a couple of shocking performances?!

No way.

I suppose the team who finished third in 1991 aren't all that. I mean, they did get 6 put past them by Leeds (at home). Oh, and Dem Blades did the double over them.

Bloody rubbish 

If you want to celebrate mediocrity then that's your choice. However it was a lot more than a couple culminating in a pathetic performance at Wembley. As for that 1991 team that finished third, they had just been promoted from the old division 2 with more or less the same squad of players. But Carlos was fantastic, the best and I cant understand why no other team in England has approached him.

16 minutes ago, debram said:

were they his signings though, i suspect he had little to do with them.

12 minutes ago, torres said:

He says they were. 

I really struggle to believe many of the signings we made then (and still causing us problems today) were Carvahaul choices.
Think Jordan Rhodes was just a vanity signing by the Chairmen similar to Andriy Shevchenko when he was at Chelsea.

Just now, bigdan2003 said:

I personally believe Rhodes and McGugan were Chansiri signings, made with good intentions, but a bit naive. Both players were popular with the fans and I think that’s why he signed them.  

McGugan had performed well when he first came on loan. Carvalhal then dropped him completely and made a big thing out of it in the media.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I really struggle to believe many of the signings we made then (and still causing us problems today) were Carvahaul choices.
Think Jordan Rhodes was just a vanity signing by the Chairmen similar to Andriy Shevchenko when he was at Chelsea.

Maybe so, but would you not expect CC to at least have some input into positions required or “type” of players needed

None that were purchased were either position or type we required 

CC was no shrinking violet or inexperienced so I’d have expected he’d be more than confident to at least give a list or at worst say no to any recommendations 

At least Chelsea needed a forward when they signed him, a forward was last on the requirements we needed when we wasted a fortune on Rhodes!

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I personally believe Rhodes and McGugan were Chansiri signings, made with good intentions, but a bit naive. Both players were popular with the fans and I think that’s why he signed them.  

Mcgugan at the time was a good signing in my opinion 

Rhodes never was 

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

McGugan had performed well when he first came on loan. Carvalhal then dropped him completely and made a big thing out of it in the media.

Maybe McGugan needs to look at himself though. Look at what’s happened to him since he left Wednesday. Clearly always been an issue with effort. 

Just now, torres said:

Maybe so, but would you not expect CC to at least have some input into positions required or “type” of players needed

None that were purchased were either position or type we required 

CC was no shrinking violet or inexperienced so I’d have expected he’d be more than confident to at least give a list or at worst say no to any recommendations 

At least Chelsea needed a forward when they signed him, a forward was last on the requirements we needed when we wasted a fortune on Rhodes!

We needed around 4 players to improve the losing play off team which in my opinion was a centre half, a commanding midfielder (still waiting for one since Palmer), a right winger and a forward. We probably got the forward but the rest were seemingly a waste when you compare the losing play off final team against the team that played Huddersfield at Hillsborough. I still think his greatest error in his second season was insisting on playing his favourites in front of those that had played in the side that had gone on a good run which started at Barnsley away.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We needed around 4 players to improve the losing play off team which in my opinion was a centre half, a commanding midfielder (still waiting for one since Palmer), a right winger and a forward. We probably got the forward but the rest were seemingly a waste when you compare the losing play off final team against the team that played Huddersfield at Hillsborough. I still think his greatest error in his second season was insisting on playing his favourites in front of those that had played in the side that had gone on a good run which started at Barnsley away.

Playing his 'favourites' in big games when they were not clearly 100% fit was a big black mark against CC for me.

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Agreed 

Every time I think about the second season transfers I feel sick. 

I don’t have a clue what they were thinking. 

That was our opportunity and unfortunately we had 2 people in charge that were incapable of taking advantage 

7 minutes ago, torres said:

Agreed 

Every time I think about the second season transfers I feel sick. 

I don’t have a clue what they were thinking. 

That was our opportunity and unfortunately we had 2 people in charge that were incapable of taking advantage 

Think Chansiri got carried away after the euphoria of the first season thinking everything he touched would turn to gold.

Edited by matthefish2002

44 minutes ago, torres said:

He says they were. 

all signings were his bar players what were already here westwood,palmer,lees.lee.loovens ,Hutchinson  . Wallace,hooper,bannan,forestieri,pudil(loan) and 2-3 others were committee and carlos had no imput whatsoever on those signings. every player jan 2016 onwards were his, he had final decision ,yes we had a recruitment team like every club , but do u think pep,klopp or even wilder with final word would agree to that shower what carlos signed? out of those would they have signed Rhodes? at a cost over 4 years to club of 16 million a player what past his best 18 months before we signed him, getting very limited time on pitch at boro ,and who never in a million years fitted into Carlos's system. shouldn't carlos have said don't sign him and cripple our club for years to come, with the transfer fallout still effecting us now and probably for another 2 years .

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He’s a dreadful manager , truly awful . Talked utter bs , had no idea what he was doing . We got results in spite of him as the squad was talented despite his awful tactics . Along with the half witted chairman , one of the major reasons we are in the mess we are presently 

Sadly all too true 

Guest LondonOwl313

Can’t believe people blame Carlos for Rhodes signing. Think about it, as a manager you take the budget you’re given and work with it. Even as a fan I thought that’s too much money on one player for transfer fee and wages combined but at the same time I just thought well if the chairman is able to spend the money on him then why not given his track record. Suspect it’s the same with Carlos.. he’s asked if he wants the league’s top scorer of the last 5 years as we’re able to sign him. What kind of manager is going to say no to that if the chairman is like Chansiri and saying things like money’s not an issue etc. The overspending and refusing to sell players is all on Chansiri