Fox - Deal or No Deal?

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve a new contract offer, he probably does? Along with Palmer, he has done better than previously with us over the last twelve months or so. Our defensive record over this period undoubtedly shows this. My view is neither offer a great deal going forward which I believe we need more of in order to progress. We’ve tied down Palmer for the next 2 and a half years. Fox would expect at least a 2 year deal therefore meaning we in general go for the foreseeable future with the status quo which I think would be a mistake?

28 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve a new contract offer, he probably does? Along with Palmer, he has done better than previously with us over the last twelve months or so. Our defensive record over this period undoubtedly shows this. My view is neither offer a great deal going forward which I believe we need more of in order to progress. We’ve tied down Palmer for the next 2 and a half years. Fox would expect at least a 2 year deal therefore meaning we in general go for the foreseeable future with the status quo which I think would be a mistake?

Exactly my thoughts...

Hypothetically if Lazaar was available but we had to choose between him and Fox...for me Fox has to go

Full backs are so important these days

2 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Exactly my thoughts...

Hypothetically if Lazaar was available but we had to choose between him and Fox...for me Fox has to go

I'd go the opposite. Fox delivers good crosses. He has shown great character and determination and is consistent. He also has a good fitness record. Lazaar will be on good money and has hardly played any football.

5 hours ago, markg said:

I'd go the opposite. Fox delivers good crosses. He has shown great character and determination and is consistent. He also has a good fitness record. Lazaar will be on good money and has hardly played any football.

Fox was appalling today and literally gave up 2nd half, watched him closely, his "effort" wasnt there at all

They were all dreadful but lack of effort isnt acceptable

4 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Fox was appalling today and literally gave up 2nd half, watched him closely, his "effort" wasnt there at all

They were all dreadful but lack of effort isnt acceptable

No respect for the fans any of them, throw in the towel, get paid handsomely, easy money, arseholes. 

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

A 5 year deal for him could equate to 1 for some... it's about the financial exposure mate..

I wasn’t referring to the cost. 

I was agreeing to your point about hunger and desire.

What do you think a 5 year deal for a mediocre young keeper does for his hunger and our ability to freshen up the squad...

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I wasn’t referring to the cost. 

I was agreeing to your point about hunger and desire.

What do you think a 5 year deal for a mediocre young keeper does for his hunger and our ability to freshen up the squad...

Before you posted this I was of the mind that I hadn't considered your post carefully enough...

Well... two things..

Wildsmith was (is?) a highly thought of upcoming keeper... English..young.. developing well.. cheap..add ons?

Against say.. Hutchinson..Rhodes and the other nanas before..

I wasn’t convinced about giving him a new contract before yesterday and even less so after it. 

Still yet to see him have a good game. 

We put up with far too much rubbish as fans that him being 6 out of 10 for 6 or 7 games suddenly makes him worthy of a new deal 

I understand the point of keeping him as a squad player to some extent but I’d keep our options open until the last minute 

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Before you posted this I was of the mind that I hadn't considered your post carefully enough...

Well... two things..

Wildsmith was (is?) a highly thought of upcoming keeper... English..young.. developing well.. cheap..add ons?

Against say.. Hutchinson..Rhodes and the other nanas before..

I think the club and most fans just got swept away with the hype of him being from the Academy.

In reality, he’s no better than Richard O’Donnell.

I think the longest Hutch has ever signed is 2.5 years, and Rhodes is the premier Championship marksman - you wouldn’t have got him for shorter (if only)

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I think the club and most fans just got swept away with the hype of him being from the Academy.

In reality, he’s no better than Richard O’Donnell.

I think the longest Hutch has ever signed is 2.5 years, and Rhodes is the premier Championship marksman - you wouldn’t have got him for shorter (if only)

You make fair points.. unlike the vast majority I would have only offered the likes of Hutchinson and forestieri year deals.. although at the time FF was an asset but if you're not prepared to trade you're basically giving players a pension imo...the whole model needs tightening up with an experienced football person embedded in the club.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:13, meggoisgod said:

Exactly my thoughts...

Lazaar was different class 

Where is he now, did he get a move ?

I'm in two minds. I like the kid, and he's done well recently. But is it enough? I'm not convinced. 

I'm not against giving him a new contract IF we were to sign someone else, someone better.  If that's realistic.

To be honest, aside from Dawson...i'd put all contract talks on hold until the summer. If they want to be here they need to earn it between now and the summer. 

Edited by bigdan2003