Fox - Deal or No Deal?

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

I disagree; we had a strong team in 16/17 and 95% of our fans would have understood had FF been sold in 2016.  So please don't blame the club's FFP issues on the fans.

Speaking of being severely upset, how upset are fans going to be if we fall foul of a hefty points deduction off the back of FFP sanctions, that results in our potential relegation?

Had we sold FF for market value after the Norwich debacle, I wouldn't have been upset in the slightest.

FF's head had been turned and the player was becoming a disruptive influence.

Most clubs would have looked to move any player on in those circumstances.  So what does DC do - gives him a bumper pay-rise & a new contract.

Risible decision.

Absolutely this. Even putting to one side the 'he's abused the club and shouldn't play for us again brigade' (of which I was probably one), if £10m+ was on the table, we should have taken it. It was clear then that he didn't really fit in to any formation that CC wanted to play as he's not suited to playing in a front 2 and can go missing from a defensive perspective when played wide for a full 90 minutes

28 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

His confidence could well be linked to the manager he's playing under and the system he's being asked to play in, but that's the same for many players. It may also be influenced by his improved fitness following his decision to do a bootcamp over the summer months.

This is it for me.

Example: Many times under Jos I saw Fox feel like he needed to press his man, then the opposition looped the ball over Fox’s head while he was out of position. No fullback looks good when that happens. Now he keeps his shape a lot better and has Harris etc to help him out. That and playing regular games gets him match fit. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Had a real issue with stamina under Carlos and Jos. I will never forget him effectively giving up against Wolves when he was totally spent , and got himself sent off as he just couldn’t run anymore. 

When it comes to people getting on Fox’s back - this was an early example. People were judging him up against Adama Traore, an £18m signing, built like a tank that can run like the wind. His attacking running stats are some of (if not) the best in the Prem... the other day he broke a record for most attracting runs in a single game since Prem records began. 

All Fox could do was kick him in the legs (so would I) while I was sat in the South Stand surrounded by whingers - because an ex Barcalona player got the better of him. 

Now look at Fox - he’s shown some support. 

I would offer him a deal. He was the most vilified player on here for a while, but he seems to have improved under Monk. Saying that I would be looking to bring in another left back as competition - this would spur both on to better.

Also if Monk doesn't rate Penney, then let him go and free up a space. 

I’ve always defended Fox, I saw he had the right physical attributes to be a success for us. It was the mental side where he struggled, this is why I was keen for supporters to help him through it, most were incapable though it seemed. 

Considering he’s addressed that side alone is testament to him, yes the bootcamp thing will have helped him physically but it’ll have done a lot more for him mentally and we’re seeing the benefit of that now.

One of my favourite players, remember it takes all sorts to make a successful team.

If he ends up leaving then some supporters need to reflect and learn. 

45 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I’ve always defended Fox, I saw he had the right physical attributes to be a success for us. It was the mental side where he struggled, this is why I was keen for supporters to help him through it, most were incapable though it seemed. 

Considering he’s addressed that side alone is testament to him, yes the bootcamp thing will have helped him physically but it’ll have done a lot more for him mentally and we’re seeing the benefit of that now.

One of my favourite players, remember it takes all sorts to make a successful team.

If he ends up leaving then some supporters need to reflect and learn. 

Trust me, they won't. 

If he leaves it will be "well he was poo anyway". 

Hopefully Garry Monk makes him feel appreciated. 

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

Amazing how a thread with a heading of FOX attracts another Fessi bashing post.

WTF:

Ok, so another poster brought up an old example (in this case it was selling FF post-Norwich) to illustrate a view they were making in relation to Fox’s current situation.

I disagreed with the point they were making and explained why I had that opinion.

Threads go off on tangents all the time - sometimes it is to bizarre lengths.  At least in that instance it was about another SWFC player and only lasted a few posts.

That’s how forums work.

How is that ‘bashing’ anyone?

Back on topic...