Fox - Deal or No Deal?

4 hours ago, Blame Harkes said:

When I asked who he pointed out poor Fox, who, as my son noted, was scrambling around like a chicken with his head cut off. Turns out that was on Jos and his lack of instruction, 

That's appalling from Jos....not heard this before when did fox disclose this . 

Had a real issue with stamina under Carlos and Jos. I will never forget him effectively giving up against Wolves when he was totally spent , and got himself sent off as he just couldn’t run anymore.  . He doesn’t have a natural big engine like Bannan, so needs to really work to be on top of his game fitness wise. He more than anyone has benefited from a harder fitness regime under Bruce , then Monk. 

New contract makes sense.

57 minutes ago, Tudders said:

I agree with your mentality but it’s all about hindsight.

To sell a player at the top of the game is a gamble as you don’t know if the replacement-if you can find one-will fit in and be equally as good as the player you’re selling. It also sends out the wrong message to a team striving to progress.

If Bannan left today how would we feel?Would we be comforted that he’s at the top of his game? I wouldn’t. I’d want him here at Wednesday,with us benefiting from a peak performing BB.

If we had a crystal ball and could see that in a couple of weeks he’d be injured or suffer a massive decline in ability then I’m sure we’d be happy enough to sell, but without the benefit of hindsight selling your top players, when you’re pushing for promotion, isn’t the way forward in my opinion.

Had we sold FF when the alleged £10M bids were coming in people would have been severely upset, it would have also weakened us considerably, but with hindsight i don’t think there’s a single fan that wouldn’t have sold him even for £5M looking back.

Every fan would no doubt have offloaded Fox for £200k 18 months ago, without the benefit of hindsight.

Football is so unpredictable. That’s one of its charms.

I disagree; we had a strong team in 16/17 and 95% of our fans would have understood had FF been sold in 2016.  So please don't blame the club's FFP issues on the fans.

Speaking of being severely upset, how upset are fans going to be if we fall foul of a hefty points deduction off the back of FFP sanctions, that results in our potential relegation?

Had we sold FF for market value after the Norwich debacle, I wouldn't have been upset in the slightest.

FF's head had been turned and the player was becoming a disruptive influence.

Most clubs would have looked to move any player on in those circumstances.  So what does DC do - gives him a bumper pay-rise & a new contract.

Risible decision.

5 hours ago, Jon Newsome said:

2 year extension makes sense, if we get a decent offer for him we should sell though and strike while the iron is hot. Too often we've held onto players the last few years until they are worth nothing, Forestieri the biggest example.

And bring in who? Fox is a very good championship full back. People expect us to have the best in the league in every position it ain’t gonna happen 

1 hour ago, Tudders said:

I agree with your mentality but it’s all about hindsight.

To sell a player at the top of the game is a gamble as you don’t know if the replacement-if you can find one-will fit in and be equally as good as the player you’re selling. It also sends out the wrong message to a team striving to progress.

If Bannan left today how would we feel?Would we be comforted that he’s at the top of his game? I wouldn’t. I’d want him here at Wednesday,with us benefiting from a peak performing BB.

If we had a crystal ball and could see that in a couple of weeks he’d be injured or suffer a massive decline in ability then I’m sure we’d be happy enough to sell, but without the benefit of hindsight selling your top players, when you’re pushing for promotion, isn’t the way forward in my opinion.

Had we sold FF when the alleged £10M bids were coming in people would have been severely upset, it would have also weakened us considerably, but with hindsight i don’t think there’s a single fan that wouldn’t have sold him even for £5M looking back.

Every fan would no doubt have offloaded Fox for £200k 18 months ago, without the benefit of hindsight.

Football is so unpredictable. That’s one of its charms.

Shhhh..dont be silly. Just sell a anyone for a decent fee as soon as they hit form. That's how you build a squad with togetherness and ability. Didn't you know that??

But seriously, great post...youve nailed it. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Wont be popular but it's no deal from me.

I cannot see past the first 2.5 years of total incompetence

Even if we accept that Fox showed 'total incompetence' in the past (though I don't think he did), players are capable of improvement.

Fox was solid under Bruce and has been very good so far under Monk. It would be a bit daft to let a player who's been very good for the past twelve months walk away for nothing because we're judging him on previous performances.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Even if we accept that Fox showed 'total incompetence' in the past (though I don't think he did), players are capable of improvement.

Fox was solid under Bruce and has been very good so far under Monk. It would be a bit daft to let a player who's been very good for the past twelve months walk away for nothing because we're judging him on previous performances.

Agreed he has improved massively but if confidence drops again we are stuck with a squad player at best. 

1 minute ago, meggoisgod said:

Agreed he has improved massively but if confidence drops again we are stuck with a squad player at best. 

His confidence could well be linked to the manager he's playing under and the system he's being asked to play in, but that's the same for many players. It may also be influenced by his improved fitness following his decision to do a bootcamp over the summer months.

Even if the worst does happen, we're still going to need squad players - I don't see why having Fox as one of them would be a bad thing? I doubt he's one of our top earners in any case.