Jordan Rhodes.

1 minute ago, nickswfc said:

Can we really risk 'giving a run' to a striker who doesn't score many goals, who has been here for 3 years, had plenty of runs and been largely ineffective and the biggest waste on money probably ever.

I think a bit of realism is needed, I do agree he looked better than normal yesterday and for me he needs to keep proving this off the bench (and score at least one) for there to be any justification to start him.

His last appearance from the bench he got an assist. He was constantly looking to get the ball down and play yesterday. He always looks for his strike partner and makes some great runs. 

For me I think Fletcher has being crying out for an intelligent partner since Hooper left. Nuhiu isn’t that, and Forestieri definitely isn’t. Monk clearly doesn’t fancy Winnall, so if we’re going with two Rhodes makes the most sense. 

I think the problem here is people making it a Rhodes or Nuhiu issue. It shouldn't be.

They offer different things and in some games Nuhiu's size and strength will be what we need, in others a fit and firing Rhodes might do the business.

I'd be more than happy if they both did what they do best between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prowl said:

I think the problem here is people making it a Rhodes or Nuhiu issue. It shouldn't be.

They offer different things and in some games Nuhiu's size and strength will be what we need, in others a fit and firing Rhodes might do the business.

I'd be more than happy if they both did what they do best between now and the end of the season.

I think Nuhiu has a much bigger overall effect on the game with his strength and size. Even though he's well known across the league defenders still seem to panic around him. I'm not even his biggest fan and I know sometimes he can be pretty ineffective. But that can be said of many strikers at this level. Fletcher is a unique beast in comparison. I feel bad for saying it but Rhodes offers literally nothing and hasn't done across all the manager he's played under. He hasn't done it for years since he was at Blackburn. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think Nuhiu has a much bigger overall effect on the game with his strength and size. Even though he's well known across the league defenders still seem to panic around him. I'm not even his biggest fan and I know sometimes he can be pretty ineffective. But that can be said of many strikers at this level. Fletcher is a unique beast in comparison. I feel bad for saying it but Rhodes offers literally nothing and hasn't done across all the manager he's played under. He hasn't done it for years since he was at Blackburn. 

Nuhui is more effective against tiring defenders coming off the bench

He just seems to easily get his head down if he doesn’t get refereeing decisions or gets bullied by the centre half. Yesterday was very much a point to prove this

Just now, yeadonowl said:

He just seems to easily get his head down if he doesn’t get refereeing decisions or gets bullied by the centre half. Yesterday was very much a point to prove this

I agree he's better as an impact player. 

Thought Rhodes was about as fast as big Dave . However bringing him on meant that we changed the style of play . Instead of just hoofing it down the middle we actually played some balls down the channels . Unfortunately Rhodes aint quick enough to latch on to them and , to me , highlights the ongoing problem we have up front . We still need a quick agile ;forward who can feed off the work that Fletcher does . Rhodes isnt quick enough to do that .

Borukov to be given a chance from the bench?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, handworth52 said:

during the warm up Rhodes looked very sharp ,every shot went in ,if he could get the service in the box he would score for sure. in pre season he did score a few so its not impossible he could for us if he gets the minutes on the pitch. 

Goals against Lincoln, Northampton and Holsten Kiel and now he's David Hirst?

Let's not reinvent history. When he first arrived at the club he played in all of the first 20 games, starting 16 of them, and he mustered just 3 goals. ALL of the other SEVEN forwards at the club had a better scoring rate than he did so they weren't struggling for that mystical alchemy called 'service' and he's currently on a run of 1 goal from his last 20 appearances (12 of them from the bench to be fair).

But aside from the numbers, which can often be misleading in both directions, his performances have been poor in the main. There's nothing to even indicate he's about to become the player he was four years ago.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Goals against Lincoln, Northampton and Holsten Kiel and now he's David Hirst?

Let's not reinvent history. When he first arrived at the club he played in all of the first 20 games, starting 16 of them, and he mustered just 3 goals. ALL of the other SEVEN forwards at the club had a better scoring rate than he did so they weren't struggling for that mystical alchemy called 'service' and he's currently on a run of 1 goal from his last 20 appearances (12 of them from the bench to be fair).

But aside from the numbers, which can often be misleading in both directions, his performances have been poor in the main. There's nothing to even indicate he's about to become the player he was four years ago.

we shouldn't have signed him in 1st place I said it then 8 million fee 40k a week 16 million wasted . but he is still here and if he is looking sharp use him . 

3 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

His last appearance from the bench he got an assist. He was constantly looking to get the ball down and play yesterday. He always looks for his strike partner and makes some great runs. 

For me I think Fletcher has being crying out for an intelligent partner since Hooper left. Nuhiu isn’t that, and Forestieri definitely isn’t. Monk clearly doesn’t fancy Winnall, so if we’re going with two Rhodes makes the most sense. 

Why, rhodes has done sod all since he has been here. Makes naff all sense to me.

3 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Although t seemed to work with Nuhiu starting yesterday and then bringing in Rhodes. The result says so.

19 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really pleased he came on today. Thought we looked a better team when he was on the pitch. Hope he starts in our next game. Well done today Jordan Rhodes. 

Would love to see him get a run of games now too.

We're desperate for goals so it surely makes sense we start getting our ONLY proven 20+ goal a season striker some game time? Plus, Rhodes has ALWAYS played his best when playing in a 442 alongside a big target man (he was clinical with Gestede at Blackburn).

Yesterday it was just so obvious starting Nuhiu regularly will never get us promoted, I think if we give Rhodes/Fletcher a run together and more importantly Murphy can find form we would have quality feeding them from all over the pitch.

21 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Would love to see him get a run of games now too.

We're desperate for goals so it surely makes sense we start getting our ONLY proven 20+ goal a season striker some game time? Plus, Rhodes has ALWAYS played his best when playing in a 442 alongside a big target man (he was clinical with Gestede at Blackburn).

Yesterday it was just so obvious starting Nuhiu regularly will never get us promoted, I think if we give Rhodes/Fletcher a run together and more importantly Murphy can find form we would have quality feeding them from all over the pitch.

Rhodes is finished

What we need is for him and winnall to leave and two new strikers on loan until we can pick up some freebies in the summer.

Murphy can bog off back to Newcastle in January. We need somebody else instead.

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Rhodes is finished

What we need is for him and winnall to leave and two new strikers on loan until we can pick up some freebies in the summer.

Murphy can bog off back to Newcastle in January. We need somebody else instead.

Agree with the bold parts. I think Monk has been rotating Rhodes and Winnall to remind the footballing world they're still alive and ready to play, hoping to move them on in January. They're very much in the shop window. 

Guest wilyfox

All that Rhodes' performance did was emphasise how a striker who can play off the shoulder could improve the dynamic of our team - as if we didn't know already. Still don't think he's the one to do it. 

Edited by wilyfox

43 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Why, rhodes has done sod all since he has been here. Makes naff all sense to me.

As soon as he gets a clean contact and rips the net out the floodgates will open.. like the last time Mrs C met me at the prison gates..

The resurrection has begun..

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Although t seemed to work with Nuhiu starting yesterday and then bringing in Rhodes. The result says so.

Please tell me you thought Nuhui was effective first half????

He was awful. You could have had someone from the kop making more of an impact 

The only less waste of space first half was Murphy 

5 hours ago, alan48 said:

Thought Rhodes was about as fast as big Dave . However bringing him on meant that we changed the style of play . Instead of just hoofing it down the middle we actually played some balls down the channels . Unfortunately Rhodes aint quick enough to latch on to them and , to me , highlights the ongoing problem we have up front . We still need a quick agile ;forward who can feed off the work that Fletcher does . Rhodes isnt quick enough to do that .

Borukov to be given a chance from the bench?

Borukov is a kid. He's nowhere near ready. Trust the manager, if Borukov was ready he'd be in the team.