Jordan Rhodes.

23 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Yes i have a long time believed Rhodes was done, but i was pleasantly surprised Saturday, has to start on wednesday if his fitness is good enough for 90. I think better to start Rhodes and take off after 60 minutes if his fitness needs rebuilding. Looked ideal for Fletch to link off. With more minutes lets see what happens. New start from me.

I agree. While he's here, we are paying him and we should make the most out of the money if he shows any promise of returning to form. Slagging him off constantly will not get any of the money back, no matter what. Keeping him in the shop window could.

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Why cant he ?? Why doesn't it work ?? Don't restrict him and play him properly just off a front man (at the moment fletcher) and there is no reason why it wont. Does he run off a target man - yes. Does he drop deep and dictate play - yes. Does he score goals - yes. Does he create - yes. Can he make late runs in the box - yes.

There is no reason Forestieri in a front 2 in a 442 cant work. It did in his first season.

As for Rhodes, his movement made a difference Saturday and he put the effort in. If he can contribute while he is here that's great. But quite frankly all our forwards can go for me (I would like to keep Forestieri if he can get back to what he was but he needs be given a chance to do so - if he doesn't produce he can go) Rhodes and Winnall in January !!! Fletcher is in the form of his career but with the wages he is on and his age he would have to be willing to take a massive pay cut to stay for another year.

Would love to see a new striker here in January or possibly 2... id love one of them to be Conor Wickham

Forestieri does have the ability to play off a striker in a 4-4-2, but probably not one like Fletcher He doesn’t thrive on flick ons and knock downs, preferring the ball into feet, and quick interchanges. I’m happy enough to now give Rhodes a run alongside Fletcher. As you know, I never wanted us to sign Rhodes, but with Monk seeming to favour a 4-4-2, then alongside Fletcher, is probably Rhodes best opportunity. Personally I think it’s too much of a luxury playing with two out and out wingers, mainly because of what it does to our midfield

21 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Why cant he ?? Why doesn't it work ?? Don't restrict him and play him properly just off a front man (at the moment fletcher) and there is no reason why it wont. Does he run off a target man - yes. Does he drop deep and dictate play - yes. Does he score goals - yes. Does he create - yes. Can he make late runs in the box - yes.

There is no reason Forestieri in a front 2 in a 442 cant work. It did in his first season.

As for Rhodes, his movement made a difference Saturday and he put the effort in. If he can contribute while he is here that's great. But quite frankly all our forwards can go for me (I would like to keep Forestieri if he can get back to what he was but he needs be given a chance to do so - if he doesn't produce he can go) Rhodes and Winnall in January !!! Fletcher is in the form of his career but with the wages he is on and his age he would have to be willing to take a massive pay cut to stay for another year.

Would love to see a new striker here in January or possibly 2... id love one of them to be Conor Wickham

Fletcher's gonna love you. Form of his life, probably going to be his best goalscoring season ever and he has to take a massive pay cut as a reward.

lol

46 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Cue @Holmowl in 3...2...1...

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Look at Glenn Murray.

Been a good servant, but Brighton have moved on They’ve finally realised they can’t play 4-4-2, and need a more flexible system Not sure Maupay is the answer, but he’s currently keeping Murray out of the side

Guest wilyfox
26 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I would imagine the priority in January is a striker to play with Fletcher. You could see by the amount of times that Rhodes was offside that he was told to come on and stretch the game.  Now imagine if that had been a pacy striker doing all that.

I agree. Our team needs a Scott Hogan/Danny Ings-type of striker to partner Fletcher. Must have the legs to run in behind, combined with the link play and physicality required for the championship. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Been a good servant, but Brighton have moved on They’ve finally realised they can’t play 4-4-2, and need a more flexible system Not sure Maupay is the answer, but he’s currently keeping Murray out of the side

Brighton have been playing 4-4-2, but Potter prefers the mobility of Maupay & Connolly to Murray. Their midfield is unorthodox. They aren't playing their wingers. They're using 4 centre-mids in Groß, Propper, Stephens, and Mooy. 

Edited by wilyfox

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I agree. Our team needs a Scott Hogan/Danny Ings-type of striker to partner Fletcher. Must have the legs to run in behind, combined with the link play and physicality required for the championship. 

Let's just beg Chelsea for michy Batshuayi. Him and Fletcher were amazing at Marseille. 

lol

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Brighton have been playing 4-4-2, but Potter prefers the mobility of Maupay & Connelly to Murray. Their midfield is unorthodox. They aren't playing their wingers. They're using 4 centre-mids in Groß, Propper, Stephens, and Mooy. 

Unorthodox yes, but that’s our biggest issue, playing two out and out wingers. It leaves us too short in midfield

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Unorthodox yes, but that’s our biggest issue, playing two out and out wingers. It leaves us too short in midfield

Not sure about that. Harris always tracks back, as does Reach when he plays. We've won our last 2 games with 4-4-2, and also turned in a strong performance against Leeds with that system. It can work for us. Worked for Carlos. The right partner for Fletcher is crucial. Don't believe Rhodes has the legs or sharpness to do it, but come January... 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Not sure about that. Harris always tracks back, as does Reach when he plays. We've won our last 2 games with 4-4-2, and also turned in a strong performance against Leeds with that system. It can work for us. Worked for Carlos. The right partner for Fletcher is crucial. Don't believe Rhodes has the legs or sharpness to do it, but come January... 

Crucial difference with Carlos’s side, Bannan was one of his wide players, albeit playing quite narrow. Lee and Hutchinson gave us strength in the middle back then

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

FF has never worked in a front 2.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Crucial difference with Carlos’s side, Bannan was one of his wide players, albeit playing quite narrow. Lee and Hutchinson gave us strength in the middle back then

Games where we need that extra protection in midfield while still playing 4-4-2. We will go with Reach and not Murphy. Carlos was always ultra Cautious. 0-0 first then Build. Monk gets us forward alot quicker.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I think that’s a bit unfair. Agree with you, that he doesn’t regularly dominate games for us in the way he used to, but he still warrants a place in the side. His lack of physicality is exposed in a two, and he is a much more influential player when playing on the left of a three. Ironically, Rhodes is probably one of the players who could benefit from Bannan’s passing in and around the box, something he’s more able to do when playing in a three

yes agree with hutch and llongo he is more suited in a 3