Jordan Rhodes.

We are playing a style that involves inviting teams to press us and often playing a long ball out, but we have no central striker that can out strip a forward facing defender.  In some respects monk gets full marks for making this work with what we have but in anotherway its daft,  relying on a player holding up the ball and waiting for support (and the opposition) to catch up.  One answer is staring us in the face (harris).  The other options are... Change the style of play or...  january recruit. 

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Games where we need that extra protection in midfield while still playing 4-4-2. We will go with Reach and not Murphy. Carlos was always ultra Cautious. 0-0 first then Build. Monk gets us forward alot quicker.

I’m not convinced, just by adding Reach, to a midfield two of Hutchinson and Bannan, makes us any more robust. Agree Carlos was more cautious, especially in season two, but I think he realised that we didn’t have the fire power to be free scoring. That’s pretty much how I feel now. Whether a new striker, if we can bring one in, in January, will improve things, we’ll have to wait and see

Edited by gurujuan

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Crucial difference with Carlos’s side, Bannan was one of his wide players, albeit playing quite narrow. Lee and Hutchinson gave us strength in the middle back then

I would not say that strength was a facet of Lee's game. Bannan is equally tenacious despite his diminutive stature. Fact is, 4-4-2 has gotten us some good results and performances despite your reservations. With a shiny new striker to improve our dynamic up top in combination with Fletcher, a top 6 finish could be realistic again - if DC can stave off or at least delay the EFL charges. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not convinced, just by adding Reach, to a midfield two of Hutchinson and Bannan, makes us any more robust. Agree Carlos was more cautious, especially in season two, but I think he realised that we didn’t have the fire power to be free scoring. That’s pretty much how I feel now. Whether a new striker, if we can bring one in, in January, will improve things, we’ll have to wait and see

Probably right about Reach but if a game demands a robust midfield from us then we will play 4-3-3 and see Luongo come in.

To be fair to us considering your opinion of our goalscoring potential is what it is we ain't done to bad have we.

And I think it will continue to surprise you aswell there is more than 1 way to skin a cat in this division and we are one of the very few teams who know how to do it. As you say we just require a new striker.

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I would not say that strength was a facet of Lee's game. Bannan is equally tenacious despite his diminutive stature. Fact is, 4-4-2 has gotten us some good results and performances despite your reservations. With a shiny new striker to improve our dynamic up top in combination with Fletcher, a top 6 finish could be realistic again - if DC can stave off or at least delay the EFL charges. 

Yes I can’t deny the system has achieved some decent results, and maybe something we can use in a, horses for courses, sort of way. A new striker will be key, whichever system we play

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Why cant he ?? Why doesn't it work ?? Don't restrict him and play him properly just off a front man (at the moment fletcher) and there is no reason why it wont. Does he run off a target man - yes. Does he drop deep and dictate play - yes. Does he score goals - yes. Does he create - yes. Can he make late runs in the box - yes.

There is no reason Forestieri in a front 2 in a 442 cant work. It did in his first season.

As for Rhodes, his movement made a difference Saturday and he put the effort in. If he can contribute while he is here that's great. But quite frankly all our forwards can go for me (I would like to keep Forestieri if he can get back to what he was but he needs be given a chance to do so - if he doesn't produce he can go) Rhodes and Winnall in January !!! Fletcher is in the form of his career but with the wages he is on and his age he would have to be willing to take a massive pay cut to stay for another year.

Would love to see a new striker here in January or possibly 2... id love one of them to be Conor Wickham

Look at our record when Nando has played up front .. there is your answer. 

The first season you mention he was rarely upfront in a 2 it was often João Nuhiu with Nando off them or on the left. 

Dont think anyone likes to play up top with him as they have no idea what he is going to do. 

15 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Look at our record when Nando has played up front .. there is your answer. 

The first season you mention he was rarely upfront in a 2 it was often João Nuhiu with Nando off them or on the left. 

Dont think anyone likes to play up top with him as they have no idea what he is going to do. 

My main reservation about all this is, Forestieri is the only player we have with the ability to play between the lines. Without such a player, our attacks lack subtlety, and a consequence, easier to defend against

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My main reservation about all this is, Forestieri is the only player we have with the ability to play between the lines. Without such a player, our attacks lack subtlety, and a consequence, easier to defend against

But you can theorise about why it might work, but five seasons of results show it doesn’t work. 

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yes I can’t deny the system has achieved some decent results, and maybe something we can use in a, horses for courses, sort of way. A new striker will be key, whichever system we play

Monk needs to decide what Plan A is going into January. We have the wingers for 4-4-2 but no striker to play off the shoulder. We have a striker to lead the line in 4-3-3 but no potent wing-forwards. Must base his recruitment on whichever way he plans to proceed. 

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But you can theorise about why it might work, but five seasons of results show it doesn’t work. 

It’s hard to say what has worked, and what hasn’t Based purely on results, then I suppose nothing has worked. The fact that Forestieri is still considered one of our best players is quite telling. Maybe it hasn’t worked because we haven’t played to his strengths? I’m not saying that is the case, but it could be a factor

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s hard to say what has worked, and what hasn’t Based purely on results, then I suppose nothing has worked. The fact that Forestieri is still considered one of our best players is quite telling. Maybe it hasn’t worked because we haven’t played to his strengths? I’m not saying that is the case, but it could be a factor

How many managers we had including Bullen. Not one has really got a tune out of Forestieri except for maybe Carlos first season.

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

How many managers we had including Bullen. Not one has really got a tune out of Forestieri except for maybe Carlos first season.

Put it this way, if Bruce was still here do you think Forestieri would have played a lot more and of the standard of the first season ? I know its all guess work but my theory is yes he would and he would have been played both up top or off the striker in a number 10 role or wide left. 

I personally while he is still here be trying to get the best out of him, which certainly isn't restricting him to a wing 

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Put it this way, if Bruce was still here do you think Forestieri would have played a lot more and of the standard of the first season ? I know its all guess work but my theory is yes he would and he would have been played both up top or off the striker in a number 10 role or wide left. 

I personally while he is still here be trying to get the best out of him, which certainly isn't restricting him to a wing 

Short answer probably not. 

We have to play Rhodes tonight and see what he's got from the start. 

So far Rhodes has been a complete waste of time and money. He hasn't tried an inch. At Norwich he was the same.

Rhodes hasn't started a league match for a year. 

Let's see what he's got 

If he reverts to type then it's goodbye. Just pay him and take away his squad number. 

But we have to give him a chance 

Then again I'd rather have an inept Rhodes than nuihi. 

On 07/12/2019 at 19:01, vulva said:

Rhodes needs games. It might be our best chance of going up. Tell him he’s starting the next 5 games. Rhodes has proved he can score  25 goals a season at this level. Nuhui has proven he can’t. 

Its worth a gamble. 

Bump. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2019 at 08:43, Bob said:

Class is permanent. He has it in him and if he comes good we have a £15 mil + player. He must be given a run of starts to show one way or another if he can return to form.

One for the doubters.