Time for Captain Lees to return

Tom Lees has been a rock in the centre of our defence for over four years.

Not only is he a fine defender but he is cool and assured under pressure.

The collapse at Blackburn in the last few minutes showed that we are in need of a cool and wise old head.

Iorfa has played well in Lees' absence and he could move to right back where he would also add more going forward..

I sometimes read posts on here that imo underestimate Lees' contribution over a long period for the club.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

The collapse at Blackburn in the last few minutes showed that we are in need of a cool and wise old head.

Iorfa has played well in Lees' absence and he could move to right back where he would also add more going forward..

I sometimes read posts on here that imo underestimate Lees' contribution over a long period for the club.

An over reaction to defeat.

26 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Why would you move iorfa? He has been solid there is more of a reason to drop borner for lees under your logic

He's a great player as you say. My one concern with Lee's back in would be lack of pace at CB. Borner is hardly speedy Gonzalez. 

Iorfa's pace has got us out of jail a number of times recently. 

He's too good to leave out.

Which begs the question should we look at a back three? If we targeted two good wingbacks in January would it give us more going forward?

Maybe try Lees centre of a back 3 with Iorfa and Börner. Let Odubajo and Palmer push on (Fox Has done really well but no pace).

Otherwise I’d put Hutch there instead of Lees. Lees can’t pass a ball for some odd reason.

Only an idea for a more attacking formation. Teams in top 12 bang ordinary this season.

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Total overreaction. 

Since Lees' injury we've conceded 8 goals in 10 games. Iorfa has played centre half in all of those games since Lees' injury, and has been immense for the most part. 

I do not get Wednesdayite's fascination with moving one of our most consistent performers from the position he's excelling.

And this clamour for Lees to come back, on the premise that collapses won't happen with him in the side. Have people forgotten he's been part of that back four for over half a decade now, which has been renowned for such collapses and weak mentalities. 

I'm not criticising Lees as a player, at all. He's been a brilliant servant for us, and I'm sure he'll get his opportunity at some point. But, since his injury, the sides most stable and consistent positions have been the centre halves (Iorfa and Borner). Why would you disrupt that?

Competition is great, and something Lees has never had since he arrived here. He sits, and waits until an injury, drop in form or even a system change, gives him his opportunity. 

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

He's a great player as you say. My one concern with Lee's back in would be lack of pace at CB. Borner is hardly speedy Gonzalez. 

Iorfa's pace has got us out of jail a number of times recently. 

He's too good to leave out.

Which begs the question should we look at a back three? If we targeted two good wingbacks in January would it give us more going forward?

3 at the back could be an option, but we've finally gained a couple of quick lads out on the wing, so what do you Do with them if you replace them with wingbacks. 

Though I am an advocate of having plenty of scope to change tactics and formations when needed. The lad lazzar we had last year would  have been a fantastic option at left wing back, but couldn't /can't stay fit. 

15 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Maybe try Lees centre of a back 3 with Iorfa and Börner. Let Odubajo and Palmer push on (Fox Has done really well but no pace).

Otherwise I’d put Hutch there instead of Lees. Lees can’t pass a ball for some odd reason.

Only an idea for a more attacking formation. Teams in top 12 bang ordinary this season.

If we were to do this, I'd rather see Fox ahead of Palmer or Odubajo, as he's our only full-back who seems able to deliver a decent cross with any degree of consistency. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

This is an interesting idea which I think would work. Reach would be a good LWB and Odubajo is a natural RWB. The problem with this is where do we fit Harris in this formation ??

13 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Total overreaction. 

Since Lees' injury we've conceded 8 goals in 10 games. Iorfa has played centre half in all of those games since Lees' injury, and has been immense for the most part. 

I do not get Wednesdayite's fascination with moving one of our most consistent performers from the position he's excelling.

And this clamour for Lees to come back, on the premise that collapses won't happen with him in the side. Have people forgotten he's been part of that back four for over half a decade now, which has been renowned for such collapses and weak mentalities. 

I'm not criticising Lees as a player, at all. He's been a brilliant servant for us, and I'm sure he'll get his opportunity at some point. But, since his injury, the sides most stable and consistent positions have been the centre halves (Iorfa and Borner). Why would you disrupt that?

Competition is great, and something Lees has never had since he arrived here. He sits, and waits until an injury, drop in form or even a system change, gives him his opportunity. 

Can't agree more bud.

We bring Lees in, move iorfa to rb, shuffle Palmer back over to the left again,, It's pointless disrupting the entire  back four almost just to bring him back in unless monk decides to go more attacking and plays a 3-5-2 with reach and Odubajaro on the flanks. Which I really don't see monk doing. 

It would allow us to get probably our three best defenders in the side, but in that system you need cb's that are comfortable on the ball which dosent suit Tom Lees. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This is an interesting idea which I think would work. Reach would be a good LWB and Odubajo is a natural RWB. The problem with this is where do we fit Harris in this formation ??

Play how Conte did at Chelsea the other year. 343. Fletcher as the lone striker and you can put 2 wingers either side of him. Like the idea of Iorfa, Lees and Borner as a back 3 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

he’d stay where he is...although I’d like to see him right and Reach left (Reach is bang off form at the mo but great when he’s back on it)

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If we were to do this, I'd rather see Fox ahead of Palmer or Odubajo, as he's our only full-back who seems able to deliver a decent cross with any degree of consistency. 

I don’t mind Fox in there...mix it up a bit with all three of them

6 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Play how Conte did at Chelsea the other year. 343. Fletcher as the lone striker and you can put 2 wingers either side of him. Like the idea of Iorfa, Lees and Borner as a back 3 

Yep, that's a good option. Then in games when you need to be more solid go with 2 up top and a three man midfield.

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner

Odubajo Hutchinson Bannan Reach

Harris Fletcher Forestieri

Or

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner

Odubajo Luongo Hutchinson Bannan Reach

Fletcher Forestieri

• Like 1

A 2-1 defeat means we need to change the defence?

Complete over reaction - our defence has been absolutely solid over the number of games its been together. Borner and Iorfa have complimented each other well

Its hardly broken so why change it?

Its going forward where we need more killer instinct and more pace

• Like 1