Time for Captain Lees to return

you could get a dozen posters picking a dozen different 11s and you could make a case for all of them …..who plays isn't the real  problem as our squad are much of a muchness  its how they play that governs how we do  . wasn't there Saturday but the consensus seems to be we were rubbish yet 7 days earlier  we were borderline superb . 

Edited by torryowl

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you could get a dozen posters picking a dozen different 11s and you could make a case for all of them …..who plays isn't the real  problem as our squad are much of a muchness  its how they play that governs how we do  . wasn't there Saturday but the consensus seems to be we were rubbish yet 7 days earlier  we were borderline superb . 

torryowl not at the match ???  Hope it wasn't your health that kept you sidelined, dude. FFS

1 minute ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I’ve got a question , do you think we would win more games with borner and lees at cb and dom at right back and a better defensive record OR Palmer right back and borner/ iorfa cb? For me it’s the former...

you could have any back 4 you wanted but if those in front of them arnt doing there job or the goalie is culpable for a few goals it don't really matter who the personnel is …...

A classic "the player out of the team is the answer to all our problems" thread 

Iorfa and Borner have been the best Centre Half pairing since Lees and Loovens did so well under CC yet because we played poorly and lost to Blackburn we need to split em up 

Nonsense

I've read on these august pages that FF is our best attacker ( he isn't nor has he been for 2 seasons ) yet another player not in the side who will fix our ills if only Monk will play him ...........................its a laughable philosophy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

A classic "the player out of the team is the answer to all our problems" thread 

Iorfa and Borner have been the best Centre Half pairing since Lees and Loovens did so well under CC yet because we played poorly and lost to Blackburn we need to split em up 

Nonsense

I've read on these august pages that FF is our best attacker ( he isn't nor has he been for 2 seasons ) yet another player not in the side who will fix our ills if only Monk will play him ...........................its a laughable philosophy 

Absolutely on point

Iorfa is bang average at right back, verging on car crash 

On 04/11/2019 at 17:11, gurujuan said:

All those things you say regarding Tom Lees are true, he is indeed a fine defender Maybe some are guilty of underestimating his contribution, but likewise, you might be guilty of overestimating Iorfa’s abilities at right back. Iorfa has found his ideal position, a position he always claimed to prefer, but he is a liability at right back, and should only be used there in emergencies. Tom Lees, in my opinion, will have to wait for his opportunity

Can't agree with all of this Guru calling Iorfa a liability at right back is just ridiculous and an unjustified insult.

Iorfa is the best right wing back we have, as he proved last season. 

Agree though that he is very good and a better option than Tom Lees in central defence.

20 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Absolutely on point

Iorfa is bang average at right back, verging on car crash 

Notice a few people slagging Iorfa off saying he is a crap right full back.

Might not be great as a right full back but he is the best right wing back we have at the club as he proved last season.

Wing backs are the way forward as most successful teams realise. Full backs like the sweeper are becoming an extinct species.

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Notice a few people slagging Iorfa off saying he is a crap right full back.

Might not be great as a right full back but he is the best right wing back we have at the club as he proved last season.

Wing backs are the way forward as most successful teams realise. Full backs like the sweeper are becoming an extinct species.

Not slagging him off at all to be honest , about opinions innit,  Iorfa for me is a better centre half than he is a full back or a wing back , and while Lees has been out he’s proven it beyond any doubt and the lad has stated on a few occasions he feels he’s a better centre half and it’s his natural position 

4 hours ago, james o connor said:

Seems to be popular on here that lees is now crap but I’d be happy for him to return . A very solid performer year in year out . 

Tom Lees is a very very very good player but our problems aren't Iorfa and Borner who have forged an excellent partnership while Tom has been injured 

I too would have no qualms at Tom lees playing but it has to be if one or the other suffers an injury or loss of form 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

correct we don't, but IF we're going out with the intent of attacking the opposition it might be a good idea to include him.

No one player/person is bigger than the team.

And we do have some good attacking options in our squad that have been under-utilised.

Did Harris have a good honeymoon period at SWFC?  Yes, absolutely.

Does that mean we should ALWAYS have him on the left-wing?  No.

The best managers are capable of spotting that by playing a star player elsewhere, or even dropping them, it could benefit the team as a whole by going with a different formation that gets the best out of others.

17 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

No one player/person is bigger than the team.

And we do have some good attacking options in our squad that have been under-utilised.

Did Harris have a good honeymoon period at SWFC?  Yes, absolutely.

Does that mean we should ALWAYS have him on the left-wing?  No.

The best managers are capable of spotting that by playing a star player elsewhere, or even dropping them, it could benefit the team as a whole by going with a different formation that gets the best out of others.

where did I say he was bigger than the team?

we are almost 'bare arsed' for attacking options, we need additions, and additions with pace, we've plenty of the 'get there tomorrow' type.

the last two results show that going with 'one up' will cost us over time, we can't 'grimly' hang on every week, and monk will be fully aware of that.