Football has become boring

Too many managers petrified of losing 

Players over-coached and over complicated. 90% of games are spent passing between the back 4 

Take yesterday for example. Blackburn, 2 Pts in 18 FFS, but Monk floods the midfield and tries to Nick one in the last 20. How awful is that 

The authenticity has well and truly evaporated 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This has been creeping in for a while. I lay the blame with trigger happy chairman who want the golden ticket to the premier at all costs as soon as possible meaning the managers know a couple of iffy results could result in their P45.

It leads to managers being ultra defensive trying to avoid defeat instead of trying to win the game first and foremost.

• Like 2

I've been saying this for a couple of seasons now - I keep hearing managers state that it's a results business - It is not, it's an entertainment business. 

If football fans aren't entertained, if going to the matches or watching them on Sky isn't entertaining, then people will stop turning up or stop subscribing to Sky Sports. At that point, none of these managers or players are getting paid, and there is no business.

4 minutes ago, David Somni Jennings said:

I've been saying this for a couple of seasons now - I keep hearing managers state that it's a results business - It is not, it's an entertainment business. 

If football fans aren't entertained, if going to the matches or watching them on Sky isn't entertaining, then people will stop turning up or stop subscribing to Sky Sports. At that point, none of these managers or players are getting paid, and there is no business.

I do not watch any other football matches that do not involve us.

I am at the stage that i absolutely hate the game, and all it stands for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The financial implications for clubs are so great now. 

I think a lot of managers are hampered by that. We might get ourselves promoted, but it won't be pretty to watch. Then, when you get there, it is just a case of making sure you stop up every season. If you try and kick on too much it can all go south very quickly and you end up like a Stoke. 

The game has become increasingly sterile and overly manufactured in this country. 

It is all bit too polished and family friendly. 

11 minutes ago, MAL said:

I'm exactly the same.

I just can't get interested in anything else, and that includes England games.

Edited by morley

Op in bang on. I’m just not exited about going to games anymore. I’m a season ticket holder and didn’t bother going to Luton, qpr, stoke or Leeds game for different reasons. 

football is now about time wasting and rolling about on the floor trying to get opponents booked/sent off. 

Seriously considering not renewing for next season. 

I much prefer watching/managing my grass roots team at the minute. 

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Bit of a generalisation this. I don’t think every manager is like this. Monk is particularly quite negative and likes to sit back. It works when we hold on, but when we lose in the manner we did it’s incredibly frustrating. 

Yep. 

Defensive football is tolerated, but that is about it. 

If you play nice, expansive, entertaining football then people are always willing to give you a bit more leeway. You can see what the team is trying to do, how they are trying to win games. 

It's hard to be overly sympathetic to a team whose only tactic to smack it up to an isolated Fletcher, who get lucky, to then completely bottle it and lose a game in the last two minutes. 

Yesterday was abysmal. 

18 minutes ago, MAL said:

Gotta say I’d agree , I don’t particularly go out of my way to watch anything if it’s not us playing

England I have absolutely zero interest in 

1 minute ago, gillyno9 said:

Op in bang on. I’m just not exited about going to games anymore. I’m a season ticket holder and didn’t bother going to Luton, qpr, stoke or Leeds game for different reasons. 

football is now about time wasting and rolling about on the floor trying to get opponents booked/sent off. 

Seriously considering not renewing for next season. 

I much prefer watching/managing my grass roots team at the minute. 

lots of things make wander about the integrity of the game - and lets not even start talking about VAR

Preston just gone 1-0 up at Charlton and now top the league 

With their 7th penalty of the season!!!  7, Yes 7 pens in 15 matches !

How does one team get so many decisions their way ?!

Referees???

Just now, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Defensive football is tolerated, but that is about it. 

If you play nice, expansive, entertaining football then people are always willing to give you a bit more leeway. You can see what the team is trying to do, how they are trying to win games. 

It's hard to be overly sympathetic to a team whose only tactic to smack it up to an isolated Fletcher, who get lucky, to then completely bottle it and lose a game in the last two minutes. 

Yesterday was abysmal. 

I’d say last week we were pretty positive and went for the win against Leeds. Two teams both going for it and we could have won if it wasn’t for some excellent goalkeeping. 

But then again, if we got the goal would we have sat back and tried to contain Leeds like we did against Stoke and Cardiff?

Our attacking players really need to step up. Because the way Monk wants to play, we need to be really clinical and take our chances. We don’t do so often enough, and then we are defending a 1 goal lead for the remainder of the game. And that isn’t going to be a successful tactic every week, as yesterday and Cardiff showed. 

2 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

lots of things make wander about the integrity of the game - and lets not even start talking about VAR

Referees???

One of lads just said the exact same,  7 in 15 games is mad 

6 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

Referees???

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Don't forget 2 of those were against us, still a lot though.

But i think they have only won 2 games, that they have had a penalty in.

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

12 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

Referees???

Preston also got 2nd lowest yellow card total - despite having Ben Pearson !!!

And no red cards

Referees?

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bit of a generalisation this. I don’t think every manager is like this. Monk is particularly quite negative and likes to sit back. It works when we hold on, but when we lose in the manner we did it’s incredibly frustrating. 

When Chansiri came he sacked a manager because he thought he was too defensive and wanted to watch attacking football. By appointing Monk he has appointed a defensive minded manager. He might as well have backed Stuart Gray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2