Football has become boring

10 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

it’s the business that has infected the game which is the real problem. 

Watching grassroots is a much more real experience. Less than a tenner to get in. You can choose to sit or stand. You can have a beer next to the pitch. There are no stone island toting chavs or ultras.  
There is significantly less diving, cheating, feigning injury and significantly more respect for officials. There is no VAR or trial by TV replay and nobody cares nor is the experience any worse for its absence. 
The chairman, sponsors, management and players from both teams mingle with the fans before and after the game and are happy to discuss the club. They aren’t media trained or sanitised to blab out the same old cliches.
There are no processes, projects, identities or groups. Just teams and matches. 
Games kick off at 3 on Saturday and 7:45 midweek. No one has to play a match 200 miles away with a 5:15 kick-off Sunday so the product suits the Chinese market. The referee doesn’t have to wait for Hangkok tyres to give the ok before he can blow the whistle for kick-off

Good post on non league footy.
The part I have underlined is the big part that that really annoys me about modern football. Paying £30+ to watch grown men pis$ about rolling on the floor with the game less physical than its ever been.
I really miss the blood and thunder games of 15 to 20 years ago. Think with players costing so much money with wages and transfer fees clubs really wouldn't accept star players being kicked out of games anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nut said:

Me too. I used to watch every scrap of football there was on tv but now I dont bother. I don't even watch our highlights most weeks whether we've won or not. I go to the match now to meet the lads and have a laugh more than I do for the football. I'm sure I'll always have a season ticket but apart from Carlos' first season I havent enjoyed going for a long time. 

Yeah same .. don't watch Match of the Day anymore .. got bored of seeing the same old teams winning through either hook or crook or genuine decent football while the rest of the league struggles ...

Don't watch Quest anymore .. only when we win or get a good result

Used to watch foreign football but again like the Prem .. its boring seeing the same old teams win all the time.

Though saying that, this weekend was interesting. A lot of the big teams either lost or drew!

21 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d say last week we were pretty positive and went for the win against Leeds. Two teams both going for it and we could have won if it wasn’t for some excellent goalkeeping. 

But then again, if we got the goal would we have sat back and tried to contain Leeds like we did against Stoke and Cardiff?

Our attacking players really need to step up. Because the way Monk wants to play, we need to be really clinical and take our chances. We don’t do so often enough, and then we are defending a 1 goal lead for the remainder of the game. And that isn’t going to be a successful tactic every week, as yesterday and Cardiff showed. 

This ^^^

As well as Fletcher is playing, IF we are to carry on with this style we need to replace him as Fletcher will never be a chance per goal striker. He does seem to have improved his scoring recently but if were getting one or two chances per game he needs to be putting them away, and history shows he wont.

Not just Fletch tho, Harris Reach Nuhiu Bannan Luongo all need to be converting any such chance.

3 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Yeah same .. don't watch Match of the Day anymore .. got bored of seeing the same old teams winning through either hook or crook or genuine decent football while the rest of the league struggles ...

Don't watch Quest anymore .. only when we win or get a good result

Used to watch foreign football but again like the Prem .. its boring seeing the same old teams win all the time.

Though saying that, this weekend was interesting. A lot of the big teams either lost or drew!

I was thinking about this the other day, and asking myself why my attendances at Hillsborough are becoming less and less. Is it the football? Partly maybe, my last season of regularly attending was Carlos’s first season, but thats not the whole story. That second season under Carlos, followed by the Jos disaster, certainly got me out of the habit of regularly attending. 

For me it’s a 250 mile round trip, but that’s been the case for most of my life, but for most of that period I was a regular attender. 

Cost, fortunately for me, isn’t really a factor, though I can understand it would be for many, especially if they go with family. As I’ve said previously, when you live some distance away, the trip is always expensive, so the high ticket prices somehow get lost in the overall outlay. This season so far, I’ve been to only 2 home games (plus 2 away) and although at the start of the season, I’d pencilled in games for November and December, I’m probably unlikely to attend until after Christmas. For me at least, I much prefer away games, for the atmosphere mainly. 

Nowadays, the quality of the football is more important to me, especially if you don’t believe you have a genuine belief that you might actually win something, or at least challenge. That though, doesn’t marry with the fact that the season’s when I barely missed a game, were in an era when the football was at its worst. I guess it’s just that there are more leisure choices available to people these days. That is clear to see, how many young people do you see at Wednesday away games? Not just football, go to any gig these days, and the average age of the audience will be around 50 That said, football attendances are on the up, so I don’t really know.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Good post on non league footy.
The part I have underlined is the big part that that really annoys me about modern football. Paying £30+ to watch grown men pis$ about rolling on the floor with the game less physical than its ever been.
I really miss the blood and thunder games of 15 to 20 years ago. Think with players costing so much money with wages and transfer fees clubs really wouldn't accept star players being kicked out of games anymore.

Couldn’t agree more Fish. And the pathetic noise they make as they throw themselves to the ground. It also grinds my gears when they take a crafty look at the ref to make sure he’s watching before they start to roll around. 

There was a time when it was a sign of weakness to go down or stay down.

I’m glad the nasty stuff has gone out of the game, two footers, elbows, violent conduct etc. but modern professionals are looking for any excuse to squeal, dive and roll-around. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

lots of things make wander about the integrity of the game - and lets not even start talking about VAR

Preston just gone 1-0 up at Charlton and now top the league 

With their 7th penalty of the season!!!  7, Yes 7 pens in 15 matches !

How does one team get so many decisions their way ?!

Referees???

Or maybe some teams spend more time in the opposition's box? Unlike us, hence no penalties.

Did you see the game yesterday? The Charlton defender put his arms round him and threw him to the floor. It was like the WWE.

• Thanks 1

Agree with much of what is said here. Social media has a lot to answer for but people have forgotten that this is supposed to be entertainment. 

The season we went down under Big Ron,  I don’t recall people calling for his head. That was because we tried to play football the right way. It was entertaining and enjoyable. 

We continued to play that way in the then, second division and reaped the rewards. Yes we had better players, but we recruited well and had players that wanted to play for the club. We didn’t always win but it was a lot more fun than the majority of games we have seen over the last few years. 

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and asking myself why my attendances at Hillsborough are becoming less and less. Is it the football? Partly maybe, my last season of regularly attending was Carlos’s first season, but thats not the whole story. That second season under Carlos, followed by the Jos disaster, certainly got me out of the habit of regularly attending. 

For me it’s a 250 mile round trip, but that’s been the case for most of my life, but for most of that period I was a regular attender. 

Cost, fortunately for me, isn’t really a factor, though I can understand it would be for many, especially if they go with family. As I’ve said previously, when you live some distance away, the trip is always expensive, so the high ticket prices somehow get lost in the overall outlay. This season so far, I’ve been to only 2 home games (plus 2 away) and although at the start of the season, I’d pencilled in games for November and December, I’m probably unlikely to attend until after Christmas. For me at least, I much prefer away games, for the atmosphere mainly. 

Nowadays, the quality of the football is more important to me, especially if you don’t believe you have a genuine belief that you might actually win something, or at least challenge. That though, doesn’t marry with the fact that the season’s when I barely missed a game, were in an era when the football was at its worst. I guess it’s just that there are more leisure choices available to people these days. That is clear to see, how many young people do you see at Wednesday away games? Not just football, go to any gig these days, and the average age of the audience will be around 50 That said, football attendances are on the up, so I don’t really know.

Indeed you are right ... money is a big factor. It kept me invested in the club when we were bloody bobbins since our fall from the prem ... Now its becoming obscene, kit prices, season tickets, pay on the gates etc .. just pushes fans away and the same throughout football. Think there are very few leagues that maintain a level of interest. Good article on BBC about Union Berlin. Some team that brings 32k to a cup match and that rely on the fans to make the noise during the game not a band or when the team is playing decent football. Feels like the good old days

Other stuff could be factored. The connection you had with your club. Seems to be moving away as the ever present sniff of prem money whaffs about the place ... treat the fans like cacka to get where you want. Away games are class indeed. the hardcore where most people whether you know them or not all want the same thing and where you are bezzie mates for the day

I enjoy the Euros and World Cup as they only come around every 2 years

Lost interest in the domestic game, cups have been devalued and cant remember the last time I watched MOTD

Watching Wednesday on Sky and highlights on Youtube is the only football I watch

10 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

I enjoy the Euros and World Cup as they only come around every 2 years

Lost interest in the domestic game, cups have been devalued and cant remember the last time I watched MOTD

Watching Wednesday on Sky and highlights on Youtube is the only football I watch

So a real football fanatic then 

It's a matter of time before the bubble bursts with regards to watching football. Many of us on here are still shelling out eye watering prices to watch let's face it bang average football most weeks. The stuff about grown men throwing themselves to the floor and feigning injury and rolling about after the slightest contact really winds me up too and i have to say i am too falling out of love with the game. We only put up with all this because we love Wednesday but there will become a point where we think sod this and stay away and many have already got to that point.

Prices as high as £46 to watch a single game. You can take a family of 4 to the cinema and be entertained for £20 in the warmth in comparison. It just leaves a sour taste in the mouth when you are shelling out all that money to watch average players on £30K plus per week. If fans stop paying those prices and promotion is not achieved then what? Sell the stadium?

It all needs knocking down and starting again, with prices at £20 maximum, players on realistic wages and clubs should be run as business' like they are in Germany.

I mean clubs spending more than they receive in income every year. What could possibly go wrong? :duntmatter:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

It's a matter of time before the bubble bursts with regards to watching football. Many of us on here are still shelling out eye watering prices to watch let's face it bang average football most weeks. The stuff about grown men throwing themselves to the floor and feigning injury and rolling about after the slightest contact really winds me up too and i have to say i am too falling out of love with the game. We only put up with all this because we love Wednesday but there will become a point where we think sod this and stay away and many have already got to that point.

Prices as high as £46 to watch a single game. You can take a family of 4 to the cinema and be entertained for £20 in the warmth in comparison. It just leaves a sour taste in the mouth when you are shelling out all that money to watch average players on £30K plus per week. If fans stop paying those prices and promotion is not achieved then what? Sell the stadium?

It all needs knocking down and starting again, with prices at £20 maximum, players on realistic wages and clubs should be run as business' like they are in Germany.

I mean clubs spending more than they receive in income every year. What could possibly go wrong? :duntmatter:

many clubs do charge £20/25 in this league it’s just us and a few who charge ridiculous prices . For the price we pay we have to be playing well and winning games to warrant this kind of money other than that crowds will be poor

On 03/11/2019 at 15:07, Ozymandias Owl said:

Sounds like a Conspiracy Theory doesn't it?

They say it evens itself out. We're giving away all those fouls and yellow cards. Preston are getting all the penalties.

Some team somewhere are winning all their throw ins...

And some team somewhere will actually take a decent corner when they have 8 or 9 of them. They might even score from one. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This ^^^

As well as Fletcher is playing, IF we are to carry on with this style we need to replace him as Fletcher will never be a chance per goal striker. He does seem to have improved his scoring recently but if were getting one or two chances per game he needs to be putting them away, and history shows he wont.

Not just Fletch tho, Harris Reach Nuhiu Bannan Luongo all need to be converting any such chance.

Before he went on a run of goals earlier this season, my memory of Fletch in a Wednesday shirt is needing 3 or 4 chances before he scores. In our current system we can’t really afford that. 

A striker has to be top of our priority list. But in the mean time, I think we should switch to a 4-4-2. It might give us more opportunities in front of goal. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Before he went on a run of goals earlier this season, my memory of Fletch in a Wednesday shirt is needing 3 or 4 chances before he scores. In our current system we can’t really afford that. 

A striker has to be top of our priority list. But in the mean time, I think we should switch to a 4-4-2. It might give us more opportunities in front of goal. 

Hmm 4-4-2, well I suppose the defence is sorted, but what about the midfield two? Plus, and this is the big question, who partners Fletcher? Nuhiu seems to be Monk’s choice, but I’m not sure we have any decent candidate Most offer something, but not enough to noticeably improve our goal output