Beattie arrival imminent ??

Interesting one this. Was told on very good authority that Monk only had a deal until the end of the season, and the only reason the Birmingham lads hadn’t come was because they were all on 3 year deals. Something has clearly changed. 

18 minutes ago, vulva said:

Interesting one this. Was told on very good authority that Monk only had a deal until the end of the season, and the only reason the Birmingham lads hadn’t come was because they were all on 3 year deals. Something has clearly changed. 

Maybe Monk is on a 1 year rolling contract.  Seem to remember Carlos being on something similar.

Guest Grez Bez
On 30/10/2019 at 12:32, Quist said:

I am hoping if Beattie arrives he can bring best out of Borovic and Damba or Shaw if we continue to play him as striker in reserves. He has improved strikers beyong recognition so I am hoping he can turn one of young players into a gem.

For me Borukov and Damba are way behind what's  needed but would love to see them make it.

5 hours ago, vulva said:

I'm confident you are correct that Monk is on that kind of deal, it seems to be the MO of our fearless leader.

However it's also known that he's a sucker for solidarity and loyalty - Monk has this job longer than the fans are onside and he knows it.   He's got more than the 1st term already in the bag, not that coaches coming in need that assurance.   Look at how Lee Bullen has been treated.  In an industry that is cutthroat, i'd want to be employed by Mr Chansiri, regardless of what length of contract I was on previously.

That kind of environment is actually quite welcoming and not your normal football environment - and whilst it hasn't worked for us yet, I can see ultimately it may yet yield us the desired results if we can achieve continuity alongside good on field performances.

15 hours ago, vulva said:

Was the same with Bruce. Not sure if it matters that much given that we got good compensation for Bruce regardless and staff get a fixed compensation amount (usually) if they leave. I’m guessing it just allows both parties to re assess each summer. 

He was a great striker of the ball with good technical ability and capable of both long range and inside the box goals.

If monk brings him in and he helps us start to hit the back of the net more consistantly, then I don't care about the connection with that lot from other side. 

I can't believe as a second tier club that we are we don't have a dedicated strikers coach as In simple terms goals win you games. 

16 hours ago, vulva said:

After Bruce left, it took a long time for Monk to be appointed. It seemed that nobody that was available was wanted by Chansiri, but a downturn under Bullen forced action. So a "give it til the end of the season" deal is understandable.

But eight games in, things are going as well as could be expected, fans are behind, maybe Chansiri is too, so it's likely Monk has been rewarded with a rolling 12 month contract and with the recruitment of his mates. I guess they too would be on a rolling 12 month deal, which is as good as any championship coach can expect.

Many in this thread think that Beattie will improve individual players technically but, in truth, player’s technical improvement will be negligible - they already posses those attributes. Beattie (and any other coach for that matter) will work on attacking shape, patterns and strategy. 

19 hours ago, vulva said:

It is a rolling contract, I think it guarantees him more than 12 months pay. The reason others did not come is Birmingham not happy to release. Apparently Beattie and Needs are in some kind of dispute with Birmingham. neither of them are doing full duties any more.

Judging by report you would have thought this would have happened by now so may be some snag holding up probably compensation.

18 hours ago, LSOwls said:

For me Borukov and Damba are way behind what's  needed but would love to see them make it.

Yes think you are correct. Heard that Monk does not see any of young players in under 23s as ready for first team. He said as much when he said he would not play young players for PR purposes. 

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Yes think you are correct. Heard that Monk does not see any of young players in under 23s as ready for first team. He said as much when he said he would not play young players for PR purposes. 

Monk has had plenty of the 23's training with the first team, and he rates Conor Grant VERY highly.

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Training with the first team is good for them but it doesn't indicate that they are ready for a call up. Though they might be for all I know.

Gives Monk the chance to see where they are and how/if they could benefit the first team. All I know is that he's been waxing lyrical about Grant

12 hours ago, shandypants said:

Many in this thread think that Beattie will improve individual players technically but, in truth, player’s technical improvement will be negligible - they already posses those attributes. Beattie (and any other coach for that matter) will work on attacking shape, patterns and strategy. 

I generally agree with this assessment.

Having more bodies as coaches gives me two thoughts:-

1)  It's harder to have a single voice with many coaches, i.e "this is how we play and how we do things" so Monk having people he's worked alongside before helps give that single voice.

2) More coaches means less workload and the ability to concentrate on certain areas - as a team.   

a final thought is one on one coaching is the only thing that will really improve technical ability, and i'm not sure we have anywhere near enough bodies for that right now or any time in recent history, so we are stuck with working on shape, working on team work, working on where to press, and working on fitness as well as then the ideals - how we want to play.

I understand why Monk says not all of this can be got across to the players quickly and it takes time so they do the basics first then work on the rest once the basics are in place.   That's why we are tight at the back but lacking going forwards thus far under him.

• Thanks 1

An addition to the above, I really want a long term vision for this club and think we need a manager in place for many years to achieve this.   Is this Monk?   Too early to tell.

We really need to kick on and have a vision that is seen through though because to be quite honest, moving from manager to manager is not helping, we need some kind of continuity and long term strategy.   That strategy should come from the man at the top but I'm not sure he has the ability to do that, so the plan has to fall on the incumbent manager.