Is this defence first style what we need to expect long term with Monk?

Monk's definately done a great job shoring up the defence, imagine we may have the best defensive record after tonight. Naturally it's come at the expense of goals at the other end and general excitement, if we keep winning it's fine but sitting on 1-0 leads all the time seems risky (as shown vs Warnocks cheaters).

Are people in favour of the one up front system even at home? For me it worked much better away vs Cardiff where you can break on teams, the last 2 home games we have made hard work of narrow wins against poorish teams.

I thought it might change with Fernando's return but that doesn't seem likely now, and finally he got a chance tonight but it was playing on the wing in the same shape. Is this Monk's preffered system or is it maybe just the one he thinks is most effective with our squad? 

We certainly will have a number of unhappy strikers (Winall, Rhodes) if it continues, but overall it seems to be working as we are getting the results and look very solid. Maybe not the best value for money in terms of entertainment though?

Burnley, Cardiff & Brighton fans have been happy with solid and organised sides getting promoted from this league. I’d hope Wednesday would be the same. I’d rather win 1-0 games like tonight than draw or lose playing open football 

• Like 1

He’s not for me. 

I’ve given up on the hope of seeing SWFC back on the Premier League. There’s too many broken pieces to the overall club. 

I just want to see players in a blue an ms white shirt having a go, on the front foot and looking to attack and looking to cause the opponents problems. 

instead we have a defensive, patchy coach muddling his way through. 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Burnley, Cardiff & Brighton fans have been happy with solid and organised sides getting promoted from this league. I’d hope Wednesday would be the same. I’d rather win 1-0 games like tonight than draw or lose playing open football 

True but those teams still all played with 2 up top I think, and didn't just rely on 1-0 wins despite being solid. You can be solid but still need to put games to bed I feel, which we aren't yet doing.

Just now, swfc-dan said:

True but those teams still all played with 2 up top I think, and didn't just rely on 1-0 wins despite being solid. You can be solid but still need to put games to bed I feel, which we aren't yet doing.

If we want to play 2 up top (I’m not convinced) then we need to ditch the wingers, because these days you need three in the middle of the park

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not worried, he’s only been working on the attacking side of our game since the international break For me, the front three is wrong, but we can’t change things until January

Do you think a front three will get us consistent goals though? I'm still not so sure. I think it really depends on contributions from the likes of Luongo breaking from midfield, as none of our regular midfielders are consistent scorers.

Just now, swfc-dan said:

Do you think a front three will get us consistent goals though? I'm still not so sure. I think it really depends on contributions from the likes of Luongo breaking from midfield, as none of our regular midfielders are consistent scorers.

Of course that would depend on the personnel. No chance with these three though

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we want to play 2 up top (I’m not convinced) then we need to ditch the wingers, because these days you need three in the middle of the park

You don't as Pigs and other teams have showed. It is much more common though agreed as teams prefer to play more shorter build up. I just really question whether our midfield has enough goals in them to make it work.

Happy with the results lately but I'm more looking at the performances and lack of chances created.

Guest wilyfox

Happy with how we're doing, all things considered. Stay in contention going into January, then see what can be done. Between now and then, Monk needs some magic dust for Reach & Forestieri. 

Good thread OP.

I wouldn’t say that we dull etc at all... or super sexy either....

if we were to moan at this points tally (not saying we are) we’d moan at anything really. 

The players are putting a lot of effort in and the defending looks solid. We might not get many teams to totally crumble but we’re very competitive. 

6 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

This is my only worry though at the moment... but we’ll see I guess. 

16 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't think we are dull to watch

Dull was over optimistic tonight.

It was horrendous to watch for long periods, broken up by sporadic sprints forward with the ball that all ended up with nought to show for them when we won the ball back very deep.