Is this defence first style what we need to expect long term with Monk?

Guest Kameron

It is absolutely awful to watch but while we continue to pick up points fans will accept it.  I’ve watched some Sh ite over the years and this is up there with the worst, it’s no Different to how Jos had us playing.

8 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

People wont care how we play when we are 3rd in league.

However if we become a defensive first team and we are 13th people will get fed up of it and the manager pretty quickly.

If only that were true. We could be top and some would moan. 

I didn't go last night, went to see Tim Minchin instead so my brother had my season tickets. He said he loved it. Decent performance from Fox, some nice stuff from nando and a win. Said luongo was great and we won. We won. He was happy. I'm happy when we win. 

I don't care how we get there I like us to win. I enjoy all wins equally. I hate all losses equally. Draws depend on whether we chuck 2 points or gain 1. If we play well and lose we still lose and I take no pleasure. That's how shallow I am. I always have been. The negativity I saw on twitter and here last night, when we are sitting in 3rd, 3 points of top after a home win did my head in. Enjoy where we are however we got here I say. Like someone said in another post, Barnsley were brilliant and a joy to watch for 45 minutes last night. Would you like to swap results too? 

• Haha 1

I'm happy to be 3rd and winning. Thought Stoke played well  last night. Currently it seems as though Hutch is being used to play out from the back, first half at Cardiff it worked well with Fletcher dropping deep and dragging a Cardiff defender with him allowing Bannan, Luongo or Reach to run into the space. Second half we stopped doing that and paid in the end. Last night Stoke were quick to press and stop Hutch and we did not seem to have another plan, Bannan started to drop deeper and we seemed a little bereft of ideas. Better sub last night bringing on Fessi he will run with the ball and draw fouls stopping pressure on our defence. We dont have a couple of prolific goal scoring forwards which needs addressing.  Early days with this Manager, give him some time as 3rd at the moment is better than anyone thought, especially me. if we dont get up this year he will have had 2 tranfer windows by next season to put his mark on the team. Then we will see. Leeds are not scoring lots so might be another game we can edge on Saturday. UTO

We will get better IF he gets ff playing well in a front 3, theres not enough quality in the final 3rd yet to go up.

However defensively we are good enough to go up conceeding 1 or 0 most games, but we need to be able to score more than 1 in most games too, historically teams need at least 75 goals to go up.

I would literally make one tweak to that starting 11 based on the opposition. That 4-3-3 last night against good sides with good midfielders, then one of the middle 3 dropping out for FF against weaker sides and playing him off Fletcher. So from a 4-3-3 with Luongo, Bannan and Hutch to a 4-4-1-1 with FF coming in

• Like 1

Is this defence first style what we need to expect long term with Monk?

This is the sort of question wee pipe and Dom aught you’re be asking at the press conferences instead of the inane drivel like “How long till Wildsmith is fit” or “Isn’t it unusual for two teams to have new managers in the same game?”

It would be interesting to understand how Monk sees the development of the team defensively and offensively. Also whether the safety first approach after we score is team orders or a result of players folding under pressure. If the latter, what does Monk see as the solution short and long-term. 

if this attritional and rustic approach is the Monk way then I guess most fans can accept it if we keep getting results but it’s gonna be a pretty boring ride

• Haha 1

My initial thoughts about this defensive attitude after taking the lead were perhaps it was a hangover from the end of cc's reign and that of jos.

But we have had a few months of Bruce and new players so perhaps it isn't, unless its the old heads in Midfield of Hutch and Bannan that subconsciously go back into that mindset and dictate the game plan on the field no matter what Monks ideas.

45 minutes ago, farlego said:

My initial thoughts about this defensive attitude after taking the lead were perhaps it was a hangover from the end of cc's reign and that of jos.

But we have had a few months of Bruce and new players so perhaps it isn't, unless its the old heads in Midfield of Hutch and Bannan that subconsciously go back into that mindset and dictate the game plan on the field no matter what Monks ideas.

I think it’s quite simple really. Monk has probably looked at our attack, and reasoned that they aren’t going to outscore the opposition in an open game. We have a decent defence, and a solid midfield, so until he can get better attacking options, then we might as well keep it tight

Edited by gurujuan

75% of this squad has been together for the vast majority of the Chansiri Era. It's never been a free scoring team and any success we have had has been by and large down to being strong defensively, which we generally have been for the most part.

I said at the start of the season if we concede around 40-45 goals we won't be far off the Top 6 and I'll stick by that. Of course we need to score regularly too and hopefully we will. Fletcher I'm sure will carry on his good form, Luongo looks a goal threat and it's time for Forrestieri to rediscover his form of his first two seasons here. If this happens we'll be there or thereabouts. Saturday's game is a real test though but one I'm sure Monk and the players will relish.

10 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

I would literally make one tweak to that starting 11 based on the opposition. That 4-3-3 last night against good sides with good midfielders, then one of the middle 3 dropping out for FF against weaker sides and playing him off Fletcher. So from a 4-3-3 with Luongo, Bannan and Hutch to a 4-4-1-1 with FF coming in

We did exactly that at home to a then struggling QPR.

Remember how well that went?

Forestieri off Fletcher is hopeless.

I don’t think it’s the formation as such as our mentality both Cardiff and stoke we went into halftime with a one - nil lead and looking comfy 

second half both Cardiff and stokes mentality changed and went more direct and we sat back if we got the second in the first half or put them on the back foot in the second we’d be more comfortable 

our two recent second half performances we’ve rode our luck and looked very nervy at times 

that said they are both physical teams that went direct and put pressure into our box 

if we can relieve that pressure and not be pinned we will be ok 

For seasons we have bemoaned square peg in round holes that previous managers have seemed intent on doing

As a new manager should do in any industry, take a pulse check of what is there and deliver to those standards with a long term forecast of improving performance.

Monk is doing what needs to be done now. If that gets us playoffs, great. If it doesn't then who realistically would bemoan him.

He's barely been here 5 minutes and we played, at times, far worse under Carlos and would have lost last night and against Cardiff under him and he was here for years.

I'd love us to play fast paced counter attacking football and I think that's what we will get. When the team is his and right

Don't blame monk really

Just look at our striking options and there ain't nowt there 

Selling joao and not replacing him was a daft move ,not saying joao was good but he'd get more goals than Rhodes,nuhiu and winnall combined.

Our midfield don't contribute in goals 

Bannan 0 ,hutch 1 ,reach 1 ,mass 2 ,Lee 0

Stats like this ain't gonna get you promoted unless your defence is solid 

Defence is doing their job well,time for the midfield and strikers to step up til January ,then a creative goalscoring midfielder and a goalscoring striker need bringing in .

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We had to sell Joao for FFP reasons, and we didn't half enough money left to replace him.

We did, but I was surprised we didn’t use the loan market An Nketiah type of forward would have been perfect