Is this defence first style what we need to expect long term with Monk?

On 22/10/2019 at 22:16, lincolnowl said:

He’s not for me. 

I’ve given up on the hope of seeing SWFC back on the Premier League. There’s too many broken pieces to the overall club. 

I just want to see players in a blue an ms white shirt having a go, on the front foot and looking to attack and looking to cause the opponents problems. 

instead we have a defensive, patchy coach muddling his way through. 

7FCAD6FA-7E0E-415B-A704-B4AD59B39862.gif.c3c562df8cc85f0efc8befa6105a031d.gif

4 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We needed an extra CB.

Not another striker when we already had 5.

Bates a necessary signing, although it seems Monk doesn't fancy him.

Did we need a cb ?

Lees,borner,iorfa,thornley and hutch can play there 

And if anyone thinks our strike force is good enough to get us where we want to be ,I'd worry about their judgement 

Let's say we have no money like you assume 

Then send Murphy back to Newcastle in January ,try and get Rhodes out 

Send bates back if he ain't gonna get used .

And use the wages on a decent forward and midfielder 

Our current forward line and midfield ain't gonna get enough goals throughout the season 

It may take a little longer before the goals begin to occur timely and naturally. I thought we were playing a balanced game Tues night just beyond half time. But the decision to be careful came a little too early. I wouldn't say panic set in but there were one or two wild slashes at the ball by more than one midfielder. Calm defending can drain away with too many midfielders around our own penalty area. They need to cover the runs, but cover them 7-10 yards further up the pitch, give us an opportunity to get up the pitch. It did begin to happen once Fernando settled in with ten minutes to go.

Keep the faith build from the back and that all important second goal will start to happen earlier in the game and more frequently, I hope.    

15 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We did exactly that at home to a then struggling QPR.

Remember how well that went?

Forestieri off Fletcher is hopeless.

I also remember who the manager in charge was during this game. A new manager who has an actual idea about football compared to an estate agent might just get more out of FF in the hole than Bullen could

Nobody will be playing alongside Fletcher any time soon, save for maybe the last 10 mins of a game. Why should we change our shape to compensate for Fletcher’s lack of goals? If we want to stick with Fletcher, then we need to use wide attackers, players with a goal threat, not out and out wingers That way, we keep the shape that is working well

11 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

I also remember who the manager in charge was during this game. A new manager who has an actual idea about football compared to an estate agent might just get more out of FF in the hole than Bullen could

Please feel free to let us know your professional football experience.  As I would like to compare it with Lee Bullen's. 

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

I think our style under Monk wouldn't matter as much if we could get a second goal & realx a bit! Gets a bit stressful looking at the scoreboard clock & it's only on 57 :biggrin:

So glad it’s not just me.

The other night I kept saying to myself “don’t look, don’t look, don’t look”. Looked and it was flippin 55 minutes!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Absolutely agree with that.

Having said that, none of our managers to date have made it work with FF in that role (if you agree that goals and points are the measure) but I do agree that Monk is his own man and might make it work.

But don’t forget that gives us a two man central midfield, so it might result in fewer chances rather than more chances. 

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Have we got the players to play all out attacking football?, I don't believe we have.

Yes we have a glut of Fwds who, on paper, are quite capable, but do not do it on the pitch.

Spot on, we haven’t, that’s why we have to keep things tight. Look at the stats for our front three, they are bottom half stats, so there is no point in us indulging in a high scoring duel

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

4 mins added at HT then 7 at FT.

Nightmare.

I know.

At home, against lowly club, winning, 10 men....and I was cacking it.

Who’d be a football fan?

Edited by Holmowl

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Spot on, we haven’t, that’s why we have to keep things tight. Look at the stats for our front three, they are bottom half stats, so there is no point in us indulging in a high scoring duel

Think you’re right, we don’t really have the quality up front. And it will be the difference unless we add some in January. With an extra bit of quality we’d have got the second goal at Cardiff and got the three points. Nothing much in the Stoke match, need to be putting teams like that to bed more comfortably.

Unfortunately it looks like Rhodes no longer has it. He’s young to be a total write off but shows little on the pitch and 4 managers in a row can’t be wrong about him and they see him in training every day. Winnall had half a season performing at this level nearly 3 years ago now. Been injured and shown little since. Everyone knows Nuhui has his limitations and is only ever going to be a squad player.

So that leaves Fletcher who isn’t overly prolific but has an excellent all round game. Scores enough for the role he has in the team. Harris has played relatively few games for his age but is showing this season he has quality.. could do with being a bit more clinical though. Reach has good goal and assist stats for a midfielder but not sure he gets enough as part of a front 3. Murphy is cr*p. Then we have FF.. he looks the key to us competing as he’s the one that’s capable of getting a goal from nothing and turning draws into wins. I know we’ve won 7 games (a league high) but it’s against the bottom 8 teams... think we’ll need that extra quality against the top teams and will see more about where we’re at in the next 5 games.

We haven’t replaced Hooper or Joao. Right decision for both to go as Hooper looks to have lost the desire with all the injuries given he’s gone to NZ and Joao we got a big fee for and he hasn’t done much at Reading yet. But we basically only have 1 striker and 2 wide forwards who are championship standard and that’s not going to be enough 

On 22/10/2019 at 22:11, swfc-dan said:

Monk's definately done a great job shoring up the defence, imagine we may have the best defensive record after tonight. Naturally it's come at the expense of goals at the other end and general excitement, if we keep winning it's fine but sitting on 1-0 leads all the time seems risky (as shown vs Warnocks cheaters).

Are people in favour of the one up front system even at home? For me it worked much better away vs Cardiff where you can break on teams, the last 2 home games we have made hard work of narrow wins against poorish teams.

I thought it might change with Fernando's return but that doesn't seem likely now, and finally he got a chance tonight but it was playing on the wing in the same shape. Is this Monk's preffered system or is it maybe just the one he thinks is most effective with our squad? 

We certainly will have a number of unhappy strikers (Winall, Rhodes) if it continues, but overall it seems to be working as we are getting the results and look very solid. Maybe not the best value for money in terms of entertainment though?

he'll hope to have a solid defence, he'll acquire a second pacy attacker.