Team for Cardiff - some key decisions

I doubt GM has firm opinions yet on his best team. I think players will get a chance, and I'd like to see KL involved again.

Westwood

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Palmer

Pelupessy

Reach Luongo Lee Harris

Fletcher 

I think we needed that injury for Lees to show that he isn't really all that anymore and hasnt for a couple of seasons. He's basically been given a starting place without merit. I mean my god he is no captain really is he. Not commanding in any way i ever see. 

21 minutes ago, adamnich said:

I think we needed that injury for Lees to show that he isn't really all that anymore and hasnt for a couple of seasons. He's basically been given a starting place without merit. I mean my god he is no captain really is he. Not commanding in any way i ever see. 

Just like with Reach is I think people are underestimating just how important Lees is to this team.  All managers never ever drop them regardless of form.

1 hour ago, adamnich said:

Have you met him ?.......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, adamnich said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Borner is better bringing the ball out. Iorfa is faster over the ground. But our best CB by far is Tom Lees. Lees-Borner or Lees-Iorfa is better than Iorfa-Borner. However, I expect we will soon be in the great position of having all three in our starting Xl, with a settler back four of Iorfa-Lees-Borner-Palmer.

That said, with Borner on 4 yellows we will have a Lees-Iorfa pairing for one game soon.

Brilliant have 3 highly capable CBs.

42 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Borner is better bringing the ball out. Iorfa is faster over the ground. But our best CB by far is Tom Lees. Lees-Borner or Lees-Iorfa is better than Iorfa-Borner. However, I expect we will soon be in the great position of having all three in our starting Xl, with a settler back four of Iorfa-Lees-Borner-Palmer.

That said, with Borner on 4 yellows we will have a Lees-Iorfa pairing for one game soon.

Absolutely! All too often on here we debate the best in X position but you need options. Having players that offer different attributes or even just for back up if injuries or suspensions kick in not to mention keeping the player in possession of shirt honest. 

Add Thornily into the mix and it’s a very well stocked CB position, as is RB, CM, LW and RW. If only Rhodes, Winnal or Adthe could hit a purple patch to share the load up front. 

I stand by with tin hat at the ready....

Westwood

Odubajo       Iorfa         Borner      Fox

Hutchinson

Luongo                          Lee

Reach                                            Harris

Fletcher

Rest Palmer who's had 180+ mins when everybody else has rested plus a trip to Russia.  Fox has a little more height too which bearing in mind Cardiff's centre forward and centre halves, will come in handy.  I'd go with Hutch in the holding role and play Luongo and Lee.  If those two can occupy Cardiff's defensive midfielders, it puts a stop on them cutting off supply to Harris and Reach.  I'd back Harris in a foot race against most full backs and he'd have Fletcher with Luongo, Reach and Lee all capable of getting up and supporting.  I like Iorfa and Odubajo as a pair on the right of defence.  When Odubajo ventures forward to support Reach and give an overload, Iorfa has the pace to get across if they hit it into the right back channel.

This isn't the game for Bannan, I agree with what someone else said about bringing him on if we need control later in the game and you just know Colin will have a plan.  There is more than enough ability in Luongo and Lee to move the ball around quickly in midfield and get it out wide.  Its their movement after the pass that we need on Friday night, not Bannan's vision. 

Saying that, we all know BB will start and probably Palmer too.  Which isn't really bad, I'd just like to see Lee gets some minutes and I just think the late movement into the box means Fletcher is less likely to get isolated.

17 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Swap Bannan with Luongo and you may be onto something although I'd be reluctant to start FF.

Reach has been our talisman for the last 2 years and deserves his place in my opinion. If things aren't working give FF the last half an hour and make him earn that starting spot. 

For me it’s about horses for courses. In a 4-2-3-1 you typically play one recognised striker and need the wide players in the “3” to have the ability to go past players and pose a goal threat. FF and KH have the pace and skill to go past players and have an eye for a goal. Reach has a good engine, work ethic and delivery and is therefore better suited to playing wide in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 with 2 strikers to benefit from his crosses.

Bannan’s creativity is best suited the the so called CAM role where he can be free between the lines when we have the ball and fills in to help the midfield out number the opposition when we don’t Bannan lacks the pace and athleticism to screen the back 4 in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 

20 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

For me it’s about horses for courses. In a 4-2-3-1 you typically play one recognised striker and need the wide players in the “3” to have the ability to go past players and pose a goal threat. FF and KH have the pace and skill to go past players and have an eye for a goal. Reach has a good engine, work ethic and delivery and is therefore better suited to playing wide in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 with 2 strikers to benefit from his crosses.

Bannan’s creativity is best suited the the so called CAM role where he can be free between the lines when we have the ball and fills in to help the midfield out number the opposition when we don’t Bannan lacks the pace and athleticism to screen the back 4 in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 

I agree a to a certain point.  The two wide players in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 need to be disciplined when out of posession and "explode" out wide when we gain possession.  I'm not sure about FF's ability to do the disciplined bit, Reach does.  I think his work ethic is what makes him more suitable.  With Reach its the exploding out bit.  He's a bit one paced, albeit when he gets going he's tough to stop.  FF's obvious strength is that he will burst past someone or do something completely left field which as I've said before, is a strength and a weakness.  It all depends on what GM wants.

With regard to BB, I used to think he'd be better suited to the CAM role.  He's not, what BB doesn't do and Kieran Lee does very well is find the space on the half turn and then continue his movement after the pass.  BB wants the return most times, he follows his pass.  The CAM also needs to be able to get in the box, sometimes ahead of the striker or arriving late.  BB does the edge of the box thing well, but not the 6 yard tap ins, getting across the front post etc.  I like BB, I really do.  But he's not the complete midfielder by a long shot and I think he can slow us down.  We can't keep adding players to the midfield or wherever to make up for his shortcomings just because we love the way he gets on the ball and looks busy.  He's at his best when he's forced to move the ball quickly and from much higher up the pitch.  Getting him there is the hard bit without compromising the balance of the team.  I personally think he misses Gary Hooper playing up top, who he linked with superbly.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Surely Thorniley comes in to replace the suspended Borner ?

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

I agree a to a certain point.  The two wide players in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 need to be disciplined when out of posession and "explode" out wide when we gain possession.  I'm not sure about FF's ability to do the disciplined bit, Reach does.  I think his work ethic is what makes him more suitable.  With Reach its the exploding out bit.  He's a bit one paced, albeit when he gets going he's tough to stop.  FF's obvious strength is that he will burst past someone or do something completely left field which as I've said before, is a strength and a weakness.  It all depends on what GM wants.

With regard to BB, I used to think he'd be better suited to the CAM role.  He's not, what BB doesn't do and Kieran Lee does very well is find the space on the half turn and then continue his movement after the pass.  BB wants the return most times, he follows his pass.  The CAM also needs to be able to get in the box, sometimes ahead of the striker or arriving late.  BB does the edge of the box thing well, but not the 6 yard tap ins, getting across the front post etc.  I like BB, I really do.  But he's not the complete midfielder by a long shot and I think he can slow us down.  We can't keep adding players to the midfield or wherever to make up for his shortcomings just because we love the way he gets on the ball and looks busy.  He's at his best when he's forced to move the ball quickly and from much higher up the pitch.  Getting him there is the hard bit without compromising the balance of the team.  I personally think he misses Gary Hooper playing up top, who he linked with superbly.  Just my opinion.

How could we not miss Hooper?

He “liked” Cardiff too.

Scored the goal at their place in 17/18. Made the goal in 16/17. Not forgetting his amazing role in the 3-0 home win.

But as we don’t possess a Hooper these days I’d be very surprised if it’s not Fletcher as lone-striker Friday. And he plays it superbly.

6 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Just like with Reach is I think people are underestimating just how important Lees is to this team.  All managers never ever drop them regardless of form.

you say that, don't think Monk is a sentiment merchant.

Lees has been awesome but we look a different animal with Iorfa at CB alongside Borner

Pace and solidity

11 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

you say that, don't think Monk is a sentiment merchant.

Lees has been awesome but we look a different animal with Iorfa at CB alongside Borner

Pace and solidity

Why do we look a different animal though.

What else has happened since those two became centre back.?   Garry Monk!!

Could be more down to him then them. After all QPR didnt go to well did it.

Will Lees start on Friday. Maybe not, but I will be stunned if he finds himself on the bench all season.