Team for Cardiff - some key decisions

Quite a few key decisions for Monk on Friday.

Formation - surely it’s going to be 433?

Defence - does Tom come straight back in? In which case, does Dom go to RB?

CM - Lots of questions. Joey played well. Luongo MUST keep his place? Surely Hutch will come back?

Wide - It’s just possible he will put FF straight in, but I’d be gobsmacked if he drops Reach or Harris.

What do you hope he goes for? As Jezza says (Clarkson, not Corbyn) here’s what I think:-

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer

Reach Luongo Hutch Bannan Harris

Fletcher

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Apart from the midfield three the team picks itself.

For me the midfield three should be Luongo Bannan and Lee.

Luongo to play in the deeper position. 

Luongo has a tendency to show up in the box and his natural game will always push him forward. He ain't a Bannan type who will sit. Why do you want to play a three man midfield without any natural defensive cover or are you just trying to fit the best players in.? Monk wont do that I dont think.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

CM - Lots of questions. Joey played well. Luongo MUST keep his place? Surely Hutch will come back?

Wide - It’s just possible he will put FF straight in, but I’d be gobsmacked if he drops Reach or Harris.

What do you hope he goes for? As Jezza says (Clarkson, not Corbyn) here’s what I think:-

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer

Fletcher

I didn't know Clarkson was familier with squad. Maybe he's not a so big a wee pipe as I thought. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cardiff are a pretty simple unit but well drilled and physical.

I would put FF in the team, and would be tempted to rest Harris. Fletcher won’t get the sort of joy from crosses he can get against Cardiff but we might tap it around them with a bit of craft rather than paint on boots wing play. I would be happy to see reach and ff cut in and lace a few from distance first half. No joy then stick Harris and Nuhiu on second half and see whether having the big man up there gives us more joy from crosses.

Guest LittleG
25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer

Fletcher

I think your team is not far off what GM will pick; only difference is he may well keep the defence that's been playing with both Lees and FF on the bench.

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Cardiff are a pretty simple unit but well drilled and physical.

I would put FF in the team, and would be tempted to rest Harris. Fletcher won’t get the sort of joy from crosses he can get against Cardiff but we might tap it around them with a bit of craft rather than paint on boots wing play. I would be happy to see reach and ff cut in and lace a few from distance first half. No joy then stick Harris and Nuhiu on second half and see whether having the big man up there gives us more joy from crosses.

You mean drop Harris. He’s just had two weeks “rest”.

I definitely wouldn’t. Ex Cardiff he might be really up for this, and anyway is one of our outstanding performers so far. 

26 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Luongo has a tendency to show up in the box and his natural game will always push him forward. He ain't a Bannan type who will sit. Why do you want to play a three man midfield without any natural defensive cover or are you just trying to fit the best players in.? Monk wont do that I dont think.

Because I see Hutchinson as a defender only. Like playing a back 5. 

Luongo can defend and attack. More of a midfielder. 

It'll help in the transitions.

17 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Because I see Hutchinson as a defender only. Like playing a back 5. 

Luongo can defend and attack. More of a midfielder. 

It'll help in the transitions.

If Monk decides the game warrants playing three in midfield then doesn't play either Hutchinson or Pelupessy then we will get beat, as Cardiff will just pick us off in the gaps we leave infront of the back four.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer

Fletcher

So a 4-5-1 then HO? :ph34r:

Agree with the players though. Odubajo has been the weakest link; goodbye. Otherwise, as you are. Probably our strongest available starting XI. Get FF up to speed & we look good.

4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

So a 4-5-1 then HO? :ph34r:

Agree with the players though. Odubajo has been the weakest link; goodbye. Otherwise, as you are. Probably our strongest available starting XI. Get FF up to speed & we look good.

No I’m just lazy. It’s supposed to be 433.

In truth, especially away from home, our 433 is more of a 451 though.

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

Westwood 

Odubajo  Iorfa  Borner  Palmer 

Luongo   Bannan

Reach    Forestieri   Harris 

Fletcher 

If it’s 4-2-3-1 then for me it would be

Westwood

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Palmer

Luongo Hutchinson

Forestieri Bannan Harris

Fletcher