Team for Cardiff - some key decisions

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Cardiff are a pretty simple unit but well drilled and physical.

I would put FF in the team, and would be tempted to rest Harris. Fletcher won’t get the sort of joy from crosses he can get against Cardiff but we might tap it around them with a bit of craft rather than paint on boots wing play. I would be happy to see reach and ff cut in and lace a few from distance first half. No joy then stick Harris and Nuhiu on second half and see whether having the big man up there gives us more joy from crosses.

You must be mad. Drop Harris against his old manager who dumped him? Not in a million years would I do this!

Be interesting to see if he drops Iorfa for Lees

I don't think he will. 

Im pretty certain this is the team he will go with:

.,......     Westwood

Moses.   Iorfa   Borner.   Palmer

Hutchinson

Luongo.           Bannan

Reach.       Fletcher.        Harris

14 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’d go with 4-4-1-1 with just Forestieri coming in and Pelupessey dropping out...

Westwood

Palmer

Iorfa

Borner

Odubajo

Reach

Luongo

Bannan

Harris

Forestieri

Fletcher

I’d give Forestieri a free role just behind Fletcher, he’ll be very difficult to pick up and if Cardiff do double up on Harris (as other sides have done recently) that would leave him a lot of room to exploit.

I like this idea, however against a team like Cardiff I wouldn't want Bannan in a midfield 2. So play Hutchinson ahead of him.

Think we will line up with a 4-5-1/4-3-3. 

Hutch back in the holding role, with Luongo and Bannan further up the pitch. 

Reach and Harris to play off Fletcher and drop back when we have to defend. 

Will be a physical test on Friday, so I see no reason to drop Iorfa who has been playing well. 

This is the sort of game where Colin will target Bannan and he will be shut out of the game as always happens

when he isn't given any time.  I would start with Reach Pelupessy Luongo Hutchinson and Harris in the middle

with Fletcher up front.  I think this would win the midfield battle. Then bring on Bannan and possibly Forestieri

after 70 minutes when Hutch and Pelupessy/Luongo are tiring  and go to 4-4-2 for the last 20 minutes with fresh

legs with the emphasis very much on attack

Guest wilyfox
5 hours ago, Beholder said:

I don't think he will. 

.,......     Westwood

Hutchinson

Luongo.           Bannan

Transfer window is closed. We can't sign Victor Moses until January :ph34r:

There's no case whatsoever, for disrupting the current back four.

They are all playing well, defending soundly as a unit, and give us a good skill set across the back line, with a combination of physicality, intelligence and pace. 

There's no way Lees should come back in. He wouldn't expect to walk straight back into the team, taking the place of an individual who has performed superbly. 

Can't see Monk changing the front three either. Harris is a must in away games especially, given his pace on the break, and Reach, despite his critics (and I've been one), gives us an element of control (and potential quality).

The conundrum is in midfield. I thought, we lacked penetration and ambition from midfield in the game against Wigan. Despite his goal, Luongo disappointed, and failed to break the lines as often as his role should've allowed him to. And although Bannan gets into better positions when playing further forward, he's not a goal threat, and without somebody who's going to get into advanced positions often alongside him, we become to look pretty toothless and one-dimensional in attack. 

That said, Luongo CAN play that role...for whatever reason, he just didn't against Wigan. May have been a bad day at the office, but given we kept a clean sheet and he got himself a goal, he probably does enough to just keep his place ahead of Lee (who will break those lines consistently, and he will get himself into goalscoring positions). 

Pelupessy HAS to keep his place. Like Lees, Hutchinson cannot expect to come waltzing back into the side (after some pretty poor form himself), when his replacement has performed well. Whats the point in having a squad of players, if the deputies are dropped regardless of performance?! That does nothing for team morale. 

So, by that token...it'll be an unchanged side, but with pressure on Luongo and Bannan in midfield to perform better as a pairing. 

-------------Westwood-------------

Odubajo--Iorfa---Borner---Palmer

-------------Pelupessy-------------

----------Luongo----Bannan--------

Reach--------------------------Harris

---------------Fletcher---------------

• Like 1

If FF had played really outstandingly for the under 23s and grabbed a couple of goals from open play instaed of just the penalty near the end against an already beaten 10 men,then it may have been a bit of a headache. 

Good that he got a full 90mins in, but I'm expecting a seat on the bench for him. 

Fingers crossed having Nando breathing down their necks  Murphy, Reach and Harris and all four now competing for the two wide positions it may spur them on to up heir game as I think both reach and Murphy have been well below the standard expected of them so far this season. 

On 14/10/2019 at 19:00, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

If it’s 4-2-3-1 then for me it would be

Westwood

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Palmer

Luongo Hutchinson

Forestieri Bannan Harris

Fletcher

Swap Bannan with Luongo and you may be onto something although I'd be reluctant to start FF.

Reach has been our talisman for the last 2 years and deserves his place in my opinion. If things aren't working give FF the last half an hour and make him earn that starting spot. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beholder said:

I don't think he will. 

.,......     Westwood

Hutchinson

Luongo.           Bannan

Yep - that’s the side. FF off the bench and Lees for some fresh legs in middle. 

Happy with that - good side