Team for Cardiff - some key decisions

4 hours ago, spike1867 said:

I agree a to a certain point.  The two wide players in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 need to be disciplined when out of posession and "explode" out wide when we gain possession.  I'm not sure about FF's ability to do the disciplined bit, Reach does.  I think his work ethic is what makes him more suitable.  With Reach its the exploding out bit.  He's a bit one paced, albeit when he gets going he's tough to stop.  FF's obvious strength is that he will burst past someone or do something completely left field which as I've said before, is a strength and a weakness.  It all depends on what GM wants.

With regard to BB, I used to think he'd be better suited to the CAM role.  He's not, what BB doesn't do and Kieran Lee does very well is find the space on the half turn and then continue his movement after the pass.  BB wants the return most times, he follows his pass.  The CAM also needs to be able to get in the box, sometimes ahead of the striker or arriving late.  BB does the edge of the box thing well, but not the 6 yard tap ins, getting across the front post etc.  I like BB, I really do.  But he's not the complete midfielder by a long shot and I think he can slow us down.  We can't keep adding players to the midfield or wherever to make up for his shortcomings just because we love the way he gets on the ball and looks busy.  He's at his best when he's forced to move the ball quickly and from much higher up the pitch.  Getting him there is the hard bit without compromising the balance of the team.  I personally think he misses Gary Hooper playing up top, who he linked with superbly.  Just my opinion.

Some very good and thoughtful points. 

Re discipline role of 2 wide players. Only becomes significant if your opponents have attacking full-backs as the primary defensive role of the wide players is to prevent the opponents full-backs from making a 2 v 1 overload with their wide player against your full-back. This can also be countered by your centre backs providing cover to your full-back in wide areas and your CDM filling in as an auxiliary CB. Hutch started his career as a CB and would be ideal in this role. 

Re Foresteiri v Reach in a 4-2-3-1. It’s easier to  demand a flair player work harder than demand a hard working player to develop flair. FF’s most effective role should be in this formation given his strengths and weaknesses.  Also failure to create clear chances is more of a problem for us right now than defensive shape. 

Re Bannan. I cant argue with anything you say. I also admire the little guy for his commitment, passion and  obvious love of Wednesday. He is decent at recycling play, crossing and set plays.  I see CAM as the only position where he gets a start. He simply isn’t athletic enough to play CM in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 (as perfected by Liverpool) and he doesn’t get ahead of Reach or Harris as a wide midfielder. I agree that he can’t run in behind defenders like Deli Ali at his best or Mason Mount (this season) but he can find space  between the lines and play penetrating passes. 

All these people not putting Bannan in their teams. 

WTF:

Best news Warnock could have pre kick off. He would probably say something along the lines of " I thought Monk was a pretty shrewd manager, but he has left Bannan on the bench so I am not so sure now."

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

All these people not putting Bannan in their teams. 

WTF:

Best news Warnock could have pre kick off. He would probably say something along the lines of " I thought Monk was a pretty shrewd manager, but he has left Bannan on the bench so I am not so sure now."

It’s laughable isn’t it. Only four players in the whole division with more assists.

30 minutes ago, torryowl said:

wtf is the CAM role ?...... . 

Central Attacking Midfield. Plays in between central midfielders and strikers. Idea is that he is a free roaming player when his team is in possession, trying to find space between opposition midfield and defence to assist strikers and disrupt opposition centre backs. When his team is not in possession drops into midfield to support high press. Where Deli Ali plays for Spurs and Ross Barkley played for England this week

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Central Attacking Midfield. Plays in between central midfielders and strikers. Idea is that he is a free roaming player when his team is in possession, trying to find space between opposition midfield and defence to assist strikers and disrupt opposition centre backs. When his team is not in possession drops into midfield to support high press. Where Deli Ali plays for Spurs and Ross Barkley played for England this week

thank you that's cleared that one up …..if you can fill me in on the quarterback, the number 10 role, the bloke who plays in the hole and the difference between an ordinary sub and impact sub I may then have clue whats going on .lol 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

thank you that's cleared that one up …..if you can fill me in on the quarterback, the number 10 role, the bloke who plays in the hole and the difference between an ordinary sub and impact sub I may then have clue whats going on .lol 

Not prepared to comment on the bloke who plays in the hole ever since my prostate exam.
I asked the doctor, "where should I put my Trousers"? "Over there next to mine", was not the answer I was expecting.

435F2A2B-D274-4D21-8AE0-E155DCD0F2AB.jpeg

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

You missed out the Christmas tree formation. Lightweight!

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

You forgot the midfield beast..

13 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Not prepared to comment on the bloke who plays in the hole ever since my prostate exam.
I asked the doctor, "where should I put my Trousers"? "Over there next to mine", was not the answer I was expecting.

435F2A2B-D274-4D21-8AE0-E155DCD0F2AB.jpeg

Just like a film scene Lefty ....

WTF: what a massive digit !!!644850143_giphy(10).gif.556a03f4d9b341dfe7f45d258e9584e3.gif

• Haha 2

On 14/10/2019 at 17:50, Owls-Fan said:

Westwood 

Odubajo  Iorfa  Borner  Palmer 

Luongo   Bannan

Reach    Forestieri   Harris 

Fletcher 

Id go with this, and go all out attack at the start, take the initiative and try get the early goal.