Second guess Garry

I think Hutchinson is far and away our best Defensive Midfielder so he would start every time for me but with Hutch you have to factor disciplinary and fitness issues. I think long term Monk will have to look for a replacement?

Bannan is as much as I rate him our biggest problem in the midfield conundrum. When he plays there is a tendency to play everything through him so opposition managers tend to single him out as someone to stop first and foremost. This means he tends to come deeper and deeper to get the ball meaning he's stepping on Hutchinson's toes and further and further away from where we want him to be. It's been argued that we've played better when he has been unavailable? Long term I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved on to facilitate a fresh approach?

Shoehorning Reach into the side is also a problem. I've been a critic of Reach over the years and I've been negged to death by the experts on here. Yet he here is in his fourth season at the club and we're nowhere near to knowing what his best position is? He's capable of producing the goods granted but he's also capable of doing a good impression of the invisible man when he's on the pitch too.

Ultimately it comes down to whether we play a three or a four. Luongo and Harris for me need to be looked at as the answer both in the immediate and long term future. Seasoned championship players who are coming into their prime. For Monk to be succesful in the short term he has to get the best out of the old guard but it's more likely long term success will be achieved with new players and a new approach?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Like 1

Think one of our problems when we play 1 up front is the way we set up. We don’t get enough support to Fletcher. I’d like to see more of a 4-3-3 like Liverpool play. 

Wide forwards stay high, Bannan can drift to the left and find a bit more space, Lee can make late runs into the box from a deeper position which is his best attribute. 

Id put Murphy in for FF while he’s obviously suspended. 

65741175-D185-4707-AC61-BD06892D0C6E.jpeg

2 hours ago, paulrs said:

Bruce mostly played 4-4-2 last season and it worked really well. So if Monk played 4-4-2 at Birmingham too then it seems perfectly logical to try it.

Since last season the midfield options are improved with Lee returning and Luongo signing. 

My main doubt with a 4-4-2 would be a partner that works well with Fletcher. In theory the Rhodes of old would be perfect but personally I think he’s a busted flush. Winnall is another one well suited but has looked very sluggish since his injury. Last season we had Hooper, Joao and Matias as options, but no longer.

Whats Hooper up to these days...???

Was sat next to him having hair cut on Friday in Duffield, so looks like hes still not got a club.

Maybe we could get him back on a rolling contract   hes the link we have been missing in my opinion.

To make 4-3-3 work, with Fletcher at the sharp end, we need to get our wide men closer to him. The trouble is, it’s not their natural game, and they don’t think like strikers. Usually in such a system, one of the wide players would actually be a striker. 

Now we don’t have Joao, only Forestieri could probably operate in that role, but he won’t be available for a while. Ideally you have an interchangeable front three, like Liverpool use. To be fair, I thought we might have brought in a young wide attacker during the summer, perhaps on loan, but I’m not sure it was ever on the clubs agenda

3 hours ago, paulrs said:

Bruce mostly played 4-4-2 last season and it worked really well. So if Monk played 4-4-2 at Birmingham too then it seems perfectly logical to try it.

Since last season the midfield options are improved with Lee returning and Luongo signing. 

My main doubt with a 4-4-2 would be a partner that works well with Fletcher. In theory the Rhodes of old would be perfect but personally I think he’s a busted flush. Winnall is another one well suited but has looked very sluggish since his injury. Last season we had Hooper, Joao and Matias as options, but no longer.

Whats Hooper up to these days...???

Waiting for the next club stupid enough to write a contract promising to pay his medical treatment bills

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Borner Fox

Hutchinson

Harris Loungo/Lee Bannan Reach

Fletcher

I think Monk will have Hutchinson protecting the back four, I think he will flood the midfield leaving just Fletcher up front at times, but he will aim to break on the wings with Harris and Reach, and with either Loungo or Lee getting forward to support. 

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Prefer 433/4231 but we are weak at lb and ff is banned so would consider wing backs with harris in a free role for now

Wwood

Iorfa lees borner

Moses luongo bannan reach

lee

fletch harris

Otherwise:

Wwood

Iorfa lees borner fox

Bannan luongo lee

Reach   fletch   harris

With reach n harris swapping if ineffective, murphy and hutch subs now

Edited by Ash77

6 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

I think he'll go 433 against Huddersfield..

Anyone think differently?

he'll have to pull bullen in and get to know what he knows and has tried, then add anyone trying their rocks off in training (at least) to the squad.

you'd think caution might be his first thought, so a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

5 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

he'll have to pull bullen in and get to know what he knows and has tried, then add anyone trying their rocks off in training (at least) to the squad.

you'd think caution might be his first thought, so a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

We need to be compact..yes..