Second guess Garry

55 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I think he'll go 433 against Huddersfield..

Anyone think differently?

He can't be expected to get immediate results. I'd be happy with a draw. I think after QPR its clear we are going to have to go too have to go back to three in midfield, but hopefully we can get the wingers pushed further up field, on the ball and in the box on the opposite wing for crosses. 

Monk's going to have too work with what we have, and at this point we don't have two CMs who can control midfield. 

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

He can't be expected to get immediate results. I'd be happy with a draw. I think after QPR its clear we are going to have to go too have to go back to three in midfield, but hopefully we can get the wingers pushed further up field, on the ball and in the box on the opposite wing for crosses. 

Monk's going to have too work with what we have, and at this point we don't have two CMs who can control midfield. 

Indeed.. that's why we have to carry the game to the opposition.. get Murphy and Harris fired up and instruct any nearby teammates to dash after them into the the penalty area and get the ball in the net..

Guest LittleG
20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Me too, but he might be wondering where the goals might come from

Most of the sane people on here have been wondering that all season

Apparently played a 4-4-2 at Birmingham. Managed to get a decent partnership going with Adams and Jutkiewcz.

Personally think our midfield options are more suited to a three though:

Westwood 

Iorfa Lees Borner Fox

Bannan Luongo Lee

Harris Fletcher Reach

Thats what i would go with. Lack height and strength in the middle maybe, but all three midfielders have good engines and can be tenacious. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Apparently played a 4-4-2 at Birmingham. Managed to get a decent partnership going with Adams and Jutkiewcz.

Westwood 

Iorfa Lees Borner Fox

Bannan Luongo Lee

Harris Fletcher Reach

Thats what i would go with. Lack height and strength in the middle maybe, but all three midfielders have good engines and can be tenacious. 

That could work..

There wasn’t much wrong with the set up we had at the start of the season in my opinion, just needed a tweak or 2 and for the players to get comfortable with their roles. 

Monk needs to do what the previous regime (inc Bullen) has failed to do -

not allow Hutchison AND Bannan to come too deep.

Play at a tempo for more than 15 minutes per game 

Get players around Fletcher and not revert to isolating him with long balls 

Don’t play everything through Bannan, he’s a valuable member of the first team but don’t use him all of the time 

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Westwood 

Iorfa Lees Borner Fox

Bannan Luongo Lee

Harris Fletcher Reach

Has to be 4-3-3 for me, that 4-4-2 may have been reasonably successful at Birmingham, but it was grim to watch Arguably, Birmingham should have been more free flowing, given the attacking options they had, despite what DC says. Remember, it was the same DC who thought it was a good idea to invest £10m on Jordan Rhodes and Sam Winnall. Think I’d rather have had Birmingham’s boys

Bruce mostly played 4-4-2 last season and it worked really well. So if Monk played 4-4-2 at Birmingham too then it seems perfectly logical to try it.

Since last season the midfield options are improved with Lee returning and Luongo signing. 

My main doubt with a 4-4-2 would be a partner that works well with Fletcher. In theory the Rhodes of old would be perfect but personally I think he’s a busted flush. Winnall is another one well suited but has looked very sluggish since his injury. Last season we had Hooper, Joao and Matias as options, but no longer.

Whats Hooper up to these days...???