Biggsy

1 minute ago, dobbo said:

For the first time in years everyone was in agreement that we had the right manager in charge, now it seems a lot of fans want a completely different approach by getting someone who has never managed at this level before.

I just don't get it.

Because the other alternatives to Bruce who are experienced at this level either dont want to come or are yesterdays men so a new approach may be needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Hindsight again.

Amazing how no one would have spent any money on taking over!!!

Remember all the jibes at ‘tight fisted’ Mandaric and the 350k jokes and the sniping because he WOULDN’T spend any money.

DC gives it a go, nearly pulls it off against all the odds. “We’re on our way, we’re on our way”.

Assume you weren’t singing that at the time at Wembley.  I suppose you were holding a one man campaign about the folly of spending to achieve promotion.

Everyone’s a genius in hindsight.

Also would you not agree that the DC then isn’t the DC now. 

Yeah, no one disputes there were mistakes (but for the right reasons), but he has proven time & again that he has been able to pull rabbits out of the hat when all the experts said it was impossible.

Soon as we lose a couple of games the anti DC mob reappear.  

Not sure what people expect to be honest.

Some our fans seem to forget this, he was doing exactly what most of us secretly wanted and we couldn't have got much closer than we did - if it had worked (and yes I know it didn't) he would have been a hero and personally im still glad he's here, it could have been far worse!

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Because the other alternatives to Bruce who are experienced at this level either dont want to come or are yesterdays men so a new approach may be needed.

Hearing this a lot and kind of understand but they are only yesterdays men until they go somewhere and have success again, just as some of the young hungry managers are only young and hungry until they have a failed period at a club and then are usually classed as "not up to it".

5 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

So, exactly the opposite type of manager that Chansiri likes to work with. 

To be honest ,like him or not, Pulis strikes me as his own man with a my way or the highway approach to his squad.  

Not a huge fan or his style. But I'm pretty sure the lethargic strolling of Saturday wouldn't be put up with for long.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

The problem Cowley will have is the same one that Nathan Jones has and the bloke at Ipswich had last season. They might motivate league 1 players but none of the Championship players will listen to him.

We know this from our own history with Danny Wilson.

It just wont work.

Danny Wilson got Barnsley promoted to the Premier from the Championship in 1997 

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest ,like him or not, Pulis strikes me as his own man with a my way or the highway approach to his squad.  

Not a huge fan or his style. But I'm pretty sure the lethargic strolling of Saturday wouldn't be put up with for long.

That's probably why Pulis isn't our manager then, in a way. Either that or he turned up to the interview in his Middlesbrough cap and tracksuits. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Wilder gained the respect of his players in L1 and stuck with them. That's completely different to getting someone like Cowley in to manage experienced championship players. Nathan Jones is the obvious recent example. 

Utter rubbish. 

Steve Cooper at Swansea managed England u/17s and non league clubs. Swansea appear to be listening..

if any big egos in our team think they are too good to listen to manager they need putting in reserves. At the moment the problem is Bullen is relying too much on old pals act and not enough on what is happening in front of him. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

We would have to get rid of half the squad to suit a manager like him it would be huge upheavel and his methods have long since been rumbled by good coaches, that is why no longer as effective as a manager.

Actually think  much talked about team spirit as gone for some reason. We saw Rhodes turn back and walk away in Rotherham game, that tells me something is amiss. With that sort of attitude should not have been in 18.

The lack of effort and disjointed performance had to be seen to be believed if somebody told me they had all been on a 48 hour bender it would not have been difficult to believe. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Out of the three , Cowlley is the man for me.

I tend to agree; if it really is down to those three, then Cowley would at least represent a forward-thinking and potentially exciting choice. I don't know a great deal about his tactical approach, style of play etc. beyond the snippets I've seen in recent years.

It remains to be seen whether he could make the step up to this level and size of club, but I suppose that's the kind of thing the chairman would be looking to ascertain during the interview process.

Pulis could do a job in the long-term, but I can't see our current squad transitioning easily into the kind of football his teams tend to play.

7 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

There were reports that Lincoln ha e a 5m clause in the Cowleys contract and that’s what scared West Brom off

Do we want to pay that sort of cash for a manager unproven at this level

BBC sport quoted 500k didn't they?