Biggsy

No, not in for the managers job before some tw*t says it :ph34r:

So Pulis is interested according to Al, and gave take it or leave it terms , and well, I'd leave it. If it's true we have and are considering Danny Cowley, then, fair play, coz as much as I want the Cowleys, I really didn't think we would even have thought of them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Just read the thread on Twitter. One chap under the impression that DC has stated he won’t approach anyone currently employed....please, for the love of god tell me that is a total fabrication. 

Yeah, but that person is probably the same person who keeps stating it on here. No one not even Nixon has ever said that's actually the case. Maybe it is, but I wouldn't put too much stock in something someone on Twitter said.

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If our shortlist really does consist of Bullen, Pulis and Cowley, I can't say it fills me with joy.

Agree with this, when Bruce walked out we HAD to treat it as a positive and get in someone “better” to keep momentum and positivity at the club. What we’ve done by keeping Bullen as caretaker in charge so long is like we’re cowering in the corner and scared to get up again. Unfortunately it’s another example of our owner being nice but not understanding of how football works 

4 hours ago, marcx666 said:

No, not in for the managers job before some tw*t says it :ph34r:

So Pulis is interested according to Al, and gave take it or leave it terms , and well, I'd leave it. If it's true we have and are considering Danny Cowley, then, fair play, coz as much as I want the Cowleys, I really didn't think we would even have thought of them.

More groundbreaking journalism 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If our shortlist really does consist of Bullen, Pulis and Cowley, I can't say it fills me with joy.

Cowley would bring something a little different IMO. A winning mentality, a different philosophy and something fresh. 

Pulis wouldn't be my choice however he's always there or there abouts. 

If that's the shortlist  then a no brainer for me. Cowleys are a risk (as is any managerial appointment), but one worth taking IMO. 

If not, I'd genuinely stick with Bullen rather than spunking £2m a year on Tomy flipping Pulis.....and I think Bullen long term would be a disaster of relegation battle proportions, but cannot adequately explain the contempt I have for Pulis....I'd choose the coach driver, or even a mouldy dogshit over him. 

I'd like to think that in the last 2 month's we'd cast our net a little wider than these three though.

Edited by striker

5 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Cowley would bring something a little different IMO. A winning mentality, a different philosophy and something fresh. 

The problem Cowley will have is the same one that Nathan Jones has and the bloke at Ipswich had last season. They might motivate league 1 players but none of the Championship players will listen to him.

We know this from our own history with Danny Wilson.

It just wont work.

14 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Agree with this, when Bruce walked out we HAD to treat it as a positive and get in someone “better” to keep momentum and positivity at the club. What we’ve done by keeping Bullen as caretaker in charge so long is like we’re cowering in the corner and scared to get up again. Unfortunately it’s another example of our owner being nice but not understanding of how football works 

This ^^, Cowley would be the best of what is seemingly an uninspiring bunch. 

If we did get Cowley (who I think will go to Hudds) we need to realise it’s a long term appointment and give them this season to bed in. But it would be a lot more interesting than Pulis or Bullen 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

The problem Cowley will have is the same one that Nathan Jones has and the bloke at Ipswich had last season. They might motivate league 1 players but none of the Championship players will listen to him.

We know this from our own history with Danny Wilson.

It just wont work.

Wasn’t Wilder a league 1 manager? He’s now in the premiership and premiership players seem to be listening to him.

What evidence do you have that championship players wouldn’t listen to Cowley? Surely it’s down to the personality rather than where a manager may have been previously?

Edited by Spookone

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

“Not understanding how football works”.

How does football work then?

Maybe you could enlighten him.

Maybe you could get onto SAG & the council & SYP.

Maybe you could contact the EFL & explain the disparity of parachute payments against FFP. 

Maybe following the totally unexpected departure of Bruce he should have made a snap decision the following day.

Maybe he should have set on Heckingbottom when you lot were all screaming for him at the time (or any of the other no marks who had won 3 games on the trot & then faded from sight).

I think Mr Chansiri understands football very well. 

He has learnt in no time at all that everyone has an opinion (usually made in hindsight & changed the second circumstances change).

Everyone thinks they know how to run a business / Football club, when in reality they couldn’t run a whist drive.

Everyone is a financial guru having never run anything more than a second hand Mondeo.

You lot were writing him off re the FFP / embargo situation and he proved then, while you lot were wringing your hands & agreeing with certain Pod Casts that our best players would have to be sold to survive, that whilst he still isn’t perfect (who is?). He has more honour, loyalty & business acumen that most on here could only dream of.

Doesn’t understand football?

Oh I think he does!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Wasn’t Wilder a league 1 manager? He’s now in the premiership and premiership players seem to be listening to him.

What evidence do you have that championship players wouldn’t listen to Cowley? Surely it’s down to the personality rather than where a manager may have been previously?

Wilder gained the respect of his players in L1 and stuck with them. That's completely different to getting someone like Cowley in to manage experienced championship players. Nathan Jones is the obvious recent example. 

6 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Wilder gained the respect of his players in L1 and stuck with them. That's completely different to getting someone like Cowley in to manage experienced championship players. Nathan Jones is the obvious recent example. 

I disagree, I am pretty sure Wilder would have gained the respect of a championship team if he had gone in “fresh” because (unfortunately for us) he’s a winner, a good tactician and can manage players.

Dont know much about Cowley but he seems to have similar traits.

Edited by Spookone

42 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Cowley would certainly be a brave choice and a break from the status quo. It would be a massive risk, though. It could prove to be an inspired choice or a disaster. I honestly couldn't predict how it would turn out right now.

Pulis would represent a much less exciting choice in many ways, but that's not to say he wouldn't do a better job. He's a shrewd operator, but the style of football he plays necessitates success as there's little else to enjoy about it, and I wonder if he's past his best - Middlesbrough hardly flourished under him, did they?

As for Bullen - well, he's a coach who's worked for a Championship club for the past eight years. Why anyone would want him as our manager, I'm not sure.

If that's the extent of our shortlist, I'm uninspired. But you never know in football - maybe come May we'll all be lauding Pulis or Cowley as the man who took us back to the Premier League.

If were going for that type of manager then the Cowleys would be the more palateable and the compensation wouldn’t be huge. 

However, there are one or two available for free who have done more than the Cowleys at this level 

The other consideration is that whoever comes in needs to be able to successfully manage DC. Bruce just about managed to do that as an advisor to him as much as a manager when it comes to making decisions on who to move on. Pulis may be ok at that but a DOF wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

Edited by Bluesteel
P
  • Like 1