"Owlstalk 70's and 80's ..."

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

In addition, I'd suggest that the rise of free and instant social media (as long as other things like voting on the outcome of TV shows, rolling news programmes, on demand television, online shopping and food deliveries etc) have made us much more spoiled, impatient and demanding. Generally, this may have rather more negative side effects.

I agree. The instantaneousness of everything online these days definately makes people more impatient in real life.

The thing is though, is social media really free? It doesn't cost a penny to use I know, but what is the true cost - impact - of using it? I ditched Facebook completely about 6 years ago, as I knew what was coming once companies like Cambrdige Analytica were born. Have we sold our souls to the devil already? I know of at least two people who thought it was a great idea to willingly give up their DNA to an unknown, ungoverned, 3rd party company, purely because they want to trace their ancestry. It's absolute madness.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think some people are probably just angry full stop in life. I have the odd rage myself in real life. Usually over daft things like parking. Or seeing another shop sign go up with the word "ARTISAN" on. (Shudder).

I tend not to get mad online. Mainly because I'm so slow at typing any anger I might have had has usually waned by the time I'm ready to hit send!

On a slow news day they are quite fun while you enjoy a quiet brew.

I've actually sprayed tea with some of the laughs people give us sometimes!

In fact, generally I think there is some superb humour on this site. 

I've had a couple! Bolly- something or other. And bananadog , something like that. 

Just think it's a shame if they disagree with something that they don't want to have their say. Unless they are just bots or something. 

Mind. There was once a Blunt on here for a while who negged every single post anyone put!! I think Hargreaves got him in the end though.

Heheh.

These are the hardest to debate. But I still have a bash before reaching for the red button!!

I've never blocked a single person either.  Though a few might have blocked me!:laugh:

I agree, I think there are some who are angry with life in general, but does technology give them a greater stage to perform on and does that fuel their egos/rage further? Self-perpetuating almost.

Unfortunately for me I can type really quickly, often faster than I can actually make sense of what I am thinking. I've got really mad online before, but it's people "stupidity" that winds me up. For instance, and I'm not having a pop at Dotty here (hence I am not linking him in this post), people went mad over the Rowett thread. Why? Have they put money on, based on something someone, who they've probably never met, said online? If so, that's their own stupid fault and I have zero sympathy for them. Nobody forced them do it after all.

But in the main, I do spend a lot of time laughing at the remarks and posts on here. There are so many dry and sarcastic posters, and it just cracks me up. Tea, coffee, OJ, BJ (Banana Juice. Wash your minds out FFS! :biggrin:) - all of it at one point has been introduced to my monitors (I've two now, down from three! (job related necessity)) due to hillarious posts on here. I've actually had tears pouring down my face before, and that is priceless. So thanks OwlsTalkians. You make me smile almost everyday.

Can I ask though, this red button of yours? What was the cost, is planning permission required and what capacity warheads can they carry?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

That raises something I was talking about with a pal a while ago. 

There's this popular thing about intent warriors hiding behind their usernames etc etc.  

Yet we both noted and agreed that some of the very worst diatribe is actually on Facebook and Twitter with people using their own names!

Yet on here , where you can really fo under cover... it doesn't seem half as bad or abused.  There's the odd heated debate. Or WUM. 

The oddest are the ones who abuse players using their own names. 

Yes but on here we have mods who can delete or block don't we? On twitter and suchlike it's just a free for all I think. Having said that it got pretty damn nasty and abusive on here during the Carlos in/out; Jos in/out debates I recall. Having gone on this site in its various guises almost daily for more years than I care to remember ( I have a life honest, I'd just usually manage to find a laugh on the site), those "debates" were the only time I thought I'd give the site a miss for a while. I even considered PM'ing Neil to say I'd top up his server donations thingy to its target if he took a breather from the site for a few days for his own health.

7 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

There's one or two posters I just skip past, I see their name and I just can't be bothered to listen to their whinging, it's as though they've got an agenda, with one or two I wonder if they are Wednesdayites at all

Similarly, there's quite a few posters, I see their username and I read every word

I don't understand the people who neg and run, I never see some of them post, but they neg regularly, enter the debate guys, I have three or four who neg me a fair bit, I'm pretty sure one does it for a reaction, probably to see if I neg them, but I rarely neg people

I have one who negs me whenever I use the word Fanny, which is a lot in the Dressing Room, I mean, who doesn't like Fanny

And before I forget, Fuuck off Bolly

Ditto. I think this is the filter we all have. To be honest, I started to read your posts purely based on your username, which just cracks me up. Cracks me up like a rear view. I think you'll get that one :biggrin:

Maybe I've not got many neggers who run on me because I don't stick my neck out far enough, which is a conscious decision in some respects. I'll normally try and play the referee where I think things are getting out of hand, because deep down I hate confrontation, although I have started and finished plenty in my time. Not all physical either - I'm not trying to come across as the big "I am", so I try and avoid it online.

And Fanny is a lovely word. I like all versions of fanny - probably. Maybe I should delete this line.......:biggrin:

• Like 3

And while I understand the sentiments of Snoots opening post, this technology has however made it so much easier for us worldwide fans. When I first started following the Wednesday as a 7 yr old nearly 50 yrs ago from the other side of the world I only got the weekend result from a tiny snippet in Monday morning's newspaper where results were listed and I had to go to a library (!) to find out whatever I could about Wednesday. Or hope like heck they might be on The Big Match ( which was rare and we got a week later anyway). Would have given my right ******** to have had the internet and owltalk etc back then in the 70s and 80s to have been able to get my daily Weds fix.

• Like 1

The Green Un.. loved that paper..

Was a paper lad from the age of 12.. waiting in a layby  (rain or shine) for the star van to rock up about 7pm after getting back from the game.. big burley bloke

chucking a banded lump of papers out.. "here you go son".. and off I waddled with them in mi yellow pvc papers bag to deliver around the estate, about 40 regulars

all looking out for the delivery.. dodging dogs and the smell of tea cooking in the old biddies flats (mince and mash generally)..

Took about an hour and half to do the round for the princely extra bonus of £1 on top of my £6.80 for morning and evening round.. back in the late 70's and early

80's this wasn't two bad..  hated Sundays tho and all the extra supplements.. was a two bag job and a bit of a killer, especially the extra delivery to Mosborough Hall which was all up hill from our shop and they had every paper under the sun..

Always had about 5 spare which I gave away kept one for me.. one of mi dad to read on the bog.. one for mi Grandad on Sunday morning visit to Sharrow.

11 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Nail on head as usual Snooty.

Much more enjoyable back then.

We went, they won, they lost.

We moaned or celebrated in the pub Saturday night. Then it was gone and on to the next match.

PL and Social media have screwed the game for ever

Ha ha. You hypocrite Ibbo.

You moan about social media and moving on swiftly after a result and then spend vast swathes of your life on Owlstalk which is ... social media and you’re on here after every match picking over the bones of a match and you carry on doing it till the next match. Unbelievable.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I've had some great debates on here.  Some friendly , some at times a bit  lively, sometimes getting very snarky, but never any abuse that I can remember.  I've still got a couple of the old sparring partners. Some I think enjoy and deliberately  give me a little playful jab with the needle to get me going sometimes!!  But all in good spirit. I think! From my end anyway!

I've hardly dished out any negs in all my time on here. I'd always rather debate the point, even with folks who wont budge ay all! :laugh:The few I have, have been when people have gone beyond the pale, wishing death on folks, that sort of thing. 

The ones I never understand are the zero post neggers. Who never have their say.  Come on in and join the debate. It's always interesting to see what and why people don't agree. 

I have to agree, generally speaking if you're of an opinion strong enough to neg a posting, then put up your counter argument.

I do wonder if neg and runners go on to be new car scratchers in later life?

• Haha 1

I remember being on holiday in Italy. No social media then. Had to sneak a look at an English newspaper to find the results of a game I missed whilst away. Got shouted at by the guy running the news stand for sneaking a free read. I said "football! football!" and he just turned his head and let me get my information. 

Great footballing nation Italy. Wouldn't get that kind of let off in Germany or France :tango:

32 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I have to agree, generally speaking if you're of an opinion strong enough to neg a posting, then put up your counter argument.

I do wonder if neg and runners go on to be new car scratchers in later life?

Arguments between 2 posters in one thread tickle me. On each ones post there'll only be one neg, from the other, & it happens all the way through! 

Right! I'll show you! Take that downward arrow you scoundrel. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Not just football that has seen big changes in last 30 years but society has as well.
As with all these big changes some are good and some have a downside.

Not just social media but think to me its more the money in the game that has changed it more. More money and cost involved than people are bound to be more impatient.
When I was a kid in the 1980s they was always a gap between players and supporters but these days they live in different worlds all together.

I can moan until cows come home about modern football but facilities have improved and behaviour of supporters is better (Not always but in general). I wouldn't have taken my kids or girlfriend to a game in the 80s.

I’m a new poster on here but I’ve poured over owlstalk for years mainly because of the humour and the threads that don’t take stuff to seriously...talk of old matches,away days and the omdt!! Love it!!

I reckon if I’d have come on here in mi late teens/early 20‘s I’d av had some rite ding dongs...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

The football and the pitches were crap though

kick...ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun.....kick............ruuuuuuuun....kick....scramble....kick.....ruuuuuuuuuuuuun

where as now we are blessed with square pass, square pass, square pass, square pass, square pass, still time to go for a p!ss and not have crossed the halfway line before you get back.

all that kick and run won some european cups for this country, didn't it?

57 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not just football that has seen big changes in last 30 years but society has as well.
As with all these big changes some are good and some have a downside.

Not just social media but think to me its more the money in the game that has changed it more. More money and cost involved than people are bound to be more impatient.
When I was a kid in the 1980s they was always a gap between players and supporters but these days they live in different worlds all together.

I can moan until cows come home about modern football but facilities have improved and behaviour of supporters is better (Not always but in general). I wouldn't have taken my kids or girlfriend to a game in the 80s.

well it's not safe now either, with all the camera coverage the wife could easily spot you.

• Haha 2

Some things still remain the same though. Went to the Rotherham match other night, & met brother-in-law & 8 year old nephew outside before the game. It was lads first away match so I bought him a programme as a souvenier. He was well chuffed. An old fashioned thing, but he may remember that & still have it long after I'm gone.

It's not always about Farcebook & Tw@tter or Carra & Neville.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

where as now we are blessed with square pass, square pass, square pass, square pass, square pass, still time to go for a p!ss and not have crossed the halfway line before you get back.

all that kick and run won some european cups for this country, didn't it?

I don't know..only started watching football around 87'

Didn't Liverpool have a reputation for passing it round the back and passing it to Grubbyiliar for him to roll it back out?  And funnily enough going downhill after the back pass rule had been changed.

Yes kick and rush was entertaining but only entertaining as in erratic and unpredictable...the best players on the pitch were either the sober ones or the exceptional ones that could do it still pissed.

Why did you do it, Snoots?  Sent me back 70 years! back to the ti e before SAG and SYP . To a time when you went in thro the Kids Gate at the Kop , and stood beside the Sheffield City Copper, chattting, until your Dad came in through another gate.

To a time when you went in either end, transferred into the Old Stand , or  went to Lepp End for first half then to Kop for second (depended on which way we kicked off). When the half time drink was a cardboard cup of hot Bovril and a Pie that oozed fat, but was  red hot.

Dad was prepared to wait til you got home then around 8pm took your Mum out for their weekend 3 or 4 pints and a glass or two of gin for Mum.

When the only way to get the results was to a) either go to match, b) buy the then excellent Green'Un or c) listen to the wireless at 5 o clock for Sports Report

When the Ref didn't carry anything in his pocket but his watch, and his book. No fancy cards. And bookings could be counted on one hand FOR A SEASON.No crowding the Ref

When the away supporters were treat same as home supporters and usually mixed with them, with only good-natured banter being passed along

When a massive Police presence consisted of a couple of Mounted Police, and a gang of off-duty coppers making  up numbers so they could see the game for free

When, for years, Wednesday were run by the Secretary,who became the Secretary /Manager

And before Radio Sheffield and its preposterous Praise or Grumble, and the grumbling was between mates at work or in the pub.

THEN, SATURDAYS WERE SOMETHING SPECIAL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1