"Owlstalk 70's and 80's ..."

13 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

If you've got anything to say I'll see you in the Barrac...err Ozzie Owl Club...but you'll have to wait until the blue comediennes and strippers have finished...unless Chelsea turn up on our Kop in whch it's every man for himself EBRA  Rulez lol 

Don't forget most important bit - Yard of Ale competition

49 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I don't know..only started watching football around 87'

Didn't Liverpool have a reputation for passing it round the back and passing it to Grubbyiliar for him to roll it back out?  And funnily enough going downhill after the back pass rule had been changed.

Yes kick and rush was entertaining but only entertaining as in erratic and unpredictable...the best players on the pitch were either the sober ones or the exceptional ones that could do it still pissed.

as you state different rules at the time, if a forward showed it was back to (I think it was) clemence at that time.

yes it did take some time for english clubs to get a grasp of the newer ruling, I 'cynically' thought at the time that's why it was introduced.

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

One thing I do know is being on the kop 86' to 93' was something truly special.

Image result for sheffield wednesday kop

One of the finest sights in football, The KOP at Sheffield Wednesday , an Alp of Humanity 

Patrick Barclay, Independent

post-408-1174638588.jpg

There have been many famous KOPS. Liverpools maybe the most famous of all. 

But Sheffield Wednesdays KOP, which was for a time the biggest standing 'Goal' terrace in Europe, was when full an awesome sight.

Simon Inglis

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jakes Grandad said:

Don't forget most important bit - Yard of Ale competition

Happy days prematch in the early/mid 70s!

The fastest recorded drinking of a yard of ale (1.42 litres or 2.50 imperial pints) in the Guinness Book of Records is 5 seconds.  So that is half a pint swallowed every second!  You don’t even have to be a big Tetley bitter man to win either.  It was common knowledge in 1974 that a handsome, young Italian man named Pasquale Iampietro or better known today as “The Tardis” (because of his small stature, but with a great inside capacity for beer) was a regular winner of the Yard of Ale competition at Sheffield Wednesday’s Ozzie Owl Club.  At the time, the record was 6 ¾  seconds and Pasquale achieved 7 ½ seconds which was no mean fete.  Any spillage led to a disqualification and he was never disqualified.  A man who obviously turned beer drinking into an art form.

Just now, S A Andy said:

Happy days prematch in the early/mid 70s!

The fastest recorded drinking of a yard of ale (1.42 litres or 2.50 imperial pints) in the Guinness Book of Records is 5 seconds.  So that is half a pint swallowed every second!  You don’t even have to be a big Tetley bitter man to win either.  It was common knowledge in 1974 that a handsome, young Italian man named Pasquale Iampietro or better known today as “The Tardis” (because of his small stature, but with a great inside capacity for beer) was a regular winner of the Yard of Ale competition at Sheffield Wednesday’s Ozzie Owl Club.  At the time, the record was 6 ¾  seconds and Pasquale achieved 7 ½ seconds which was no mean fete.  Any spillage led to a disqualification and he was never disqualified.  A man who obviously turned beer drinking into an art form.

http://www.worldbeersguide.com/yard-of-ale/

14 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

In addition, I'd suggest that the rise of free and instant social media (as long as other things like voting on the outcome of TV shows, rolling news programmes, on demand television, online shopping and food deliveries etc) have made us much more spoiled, impatient and demanding. Generally, this may have rather more negative side effects.

This get me back to the original point.

Are we, modern supporters, becoming like one of those contestants on the early rounds of the X-factor. Stomping about and storming off when they get told they can't sing.

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Why did you do it, Snoots?  Sent me back 70 years! back to the ti e before SAG and SYP . To a time when you went in thro the Kids Gate at the Kop , and stood beside the Sheffield City Copper, chattting, until your Dad came in through another gate.

To a time when you went in either end, transferred into the Old Stand , or  went to Lepp End for first half then to Kop for second (depended on which way we kicked off). When the half time drink was a cardboard cup of hot Bovril and a Pie that oozed fat, but was  red hot.

Dad was prepared to wait til you got home then around 8pm took your Mum out for their weekend 3 or 4 pints and a glass or two of gin for Mum.

When the only way to get the results was to a) either go to match, b) buy the then excellent Green'Un or c) listen to the wireless at 5 o clock for Sports Report

When the Ref didn't carry anything in his pocket but his watch, and his book. No fancy cards. And bookings could be counted on one hand FOR A SEASON.No crowding the Ref

When the away supporters were treat same as home supporters and usually mixed with them, with only good-natured banter being passed along

When a massive Police presence consisted of a couple of Mounted Police, and a gang of off-duty coppers making  up numbers so they could see the game for free

When, for years, Wednesday were run by the Secretary,who became the Secretary /Manager

And before Radio Sheffield and its preposterous Praise or Grumble, and the grumbling was between mates at work or in the pub.

THEN, SATURDAYS WERE SOMETHING SPECIAL

Thanks Buxton. That’s an amazing snapshot of the game as it was.

Sadly, but inevitably, there’s fewer and fewer of us that remember it as it was.

I’ve often thought we could do with a Seniors Section on OT so we could discuss the game in a respectful manner without having to put up with the rest of the argumentative riff raff that come on here :biggrin:

28 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

This get me back to the original point.

Are we, modern supporters, becoming like one of those contestants on the early rounds of the X-factor. Stomping about and storming off when they get told they can't sing.

Whats that? Is it like 'New Faces'?

• Haha 1

Probably a good thing there was no social media in the 70's and 80's or football would have been shut down by Thatcher!

There's numerous benefits to having it now not least of which is being able to go back and watch YouTube to recall just how footy was and how it's changed on and off the pitch and on the telly

Edited by edmontonowl

6 hours ago, Mickjj said:

If you really had something you wanted to get off your chest you could write a letter to the Green Un and hope it got printed a week later. 

I had around a 10% success rate

I suppose Tony didn't appreciate what I was trying to tell him  :dry:

18 hours ago, steelowl said:

social media back then was the green un queue

tremendous banter  that's if you knew the result,  who scored, where you were in the league etc  miss those times tbh 

you had to read it fast cos yer dad wanted to read it and god forbid you creased it

but later there was nowt like savouring a greenun when we won and especially with a city double 

Table gazing the green'un..lasted for hours..the tell it to tony page was a bit like owlstalk..loads of bolllaxe said.lol

10 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Table gazing the green'un..lasted for hours..the tell it to tony page was a bit like owlstalk..loads of bolllaxe said.lol

loved the heap cartoons 

if we won by 3 there would be 3 balls in the net  far better than ifeckinfollow highlights 

image.png.bda0a56a0eacc093e3c4e40b9c70c7f5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

Table gazing the green'un..lasted for hours..

Another good point. You looked at the table on Saturday night and that was how it stayed till the following Saturday night. 

Now it feels like you have to check the table every day of the week, at several intervals over the weekend for all the movement!

6 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Some things still remain the same though. Went to the Rotherham match other night, & met brother-in-law & 8 year old nephew outside before the game. It was lads first away match so I bought him a programme as a souvenier. He was well chuffed. An old fashioned thing, but he may remember that & still have it long after I'm gone.

It's not always about Farcebook & Tw@tter or Carra & Neville.

Very true the new generations will find their own traditions and think they are sacred whilst laughing at the older generations traditions thinking they are quait, just as we did to previous generations. 

10 hours ago, ljhowl said:

And while I understand the sentiments of Snoots opening post, this technology has however made it so much easier for us worldwide fans. When I first started following the Wednesday as a 7 yr old nearly 50 yrs ago from the other side of the world I only got the weekend result from a tiny snippet in Monday morning's newspaper where results were listed and I had to go to a library (!) to find out whatever I could about Wednesday. Or hope like heck they might be on The Big Match ( which was rare and we got a week later anyway). Would have given my right ******** to have had the internet and owltalk etc back then in the 70s and 80s to have been able to get my daily Weds fix.

Interesting perspective on it.  The technology might have changed us as fans. We're more intense now. Pore over every detail.

But like you say, perhaps it isn't that we have changed , just that we now have the means to get the information. 

But maybe in previous years we just didn't seem as obsessive. Maybe it was always in there, the obsessive in all of us waiting to be awoken.

Maybe it isn't that the 24/7 info has taken us and changed us.

Maybe the 24/7 thinking has come along because there was a thirst for it. 

Even back in the day people would ring this in midweek just to get their fix.

image.png.56c075d767c1c09f802e82c3a679786c.png

Maybe we haven't changed as much as we think and it's a glorification of the past where we just think we weren't as reactionary etc etc...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Image result for sheffield wednesday kop

One of the finest sights in football, The KOP at Sheffield Wednesday , an Alp of Humanity 

Patrick Barclay, Independent

post-408-1174638588.jpg

There have been many famous KOPS. Liverpools maybe the most famous of all. 

But Sheffield Wednesdays KOP, which was for a time the biggest standing 'Goal' terrace in Europe, was when full an awesome sight.

Simon Inglis

This just beggars belief though & you can still experience it! 

1920464_943168585723358_53666142_n.jpg