"Owlstalk 70's and 80's ..."

5 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

This just beggars belief though & you can still experience it! 

1920464_943168585723358_53666142_n.jpg

A tremendous spectacle! 

Though I gather only 1954 more than ours before the seats went in. 

Shame our young fans won't be able to experience what a packed standing Wednesday KOP could be like and will have to travel abroad to experience the feeling.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

A tremendous spectacle! 

Though I gather only 1954 more than ours before the seats went in. 

Shame our young fans won't be able to experience what a packed standing Wednesday KOP could be like and will have to travel abroad to experience the feeling.

Wow, didn't realise it was that close. I loved standing on the kop, it was a force. As daft as it sounds & don't get me wrong seats are justified, if we would have been able to keep the kop standing I truly believe late 80's early 90's momentum would have continued. 

3 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Wow, didn't realise it was that close. I loved standing on the kop, it was a force. As daft as it sounds & don't get me wrong seats are justified, if we would have been able to keep the kop standing I truly believe late 80's early 90's momentum would have continued. 

Its certainly changed the atmosphere in the ground forever.

I'm not sure it will ever be regained.  It split the singing element for a start. now dispersed between the KOP and North. 

Also...there's something a bit odd about singing and shouting sitting down. Less raucousness. Maybe it's harder to fill your lungs whilst sat. Or people get a bit paranoid after all in a swaying mass you are not an individual. You are legion.

There is a slightly sanitised atmosphere to games now, and I do put a lot of it down to the seats.

On the other hand, no one liked going home and discovering a fag burn in the back of their best coat or feeling the warming sensation of someone weeing down the back of your leg.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm not sure it will ever be regained.  It split the singing element for a start. now dispersed between the KOP and North. 

Also...there's something a bit odd about singing and shouting sitting down. Less raucousness. Maybe it's harder to fill your lungs whilst sat. Or people get a bit paranoid after all in a swaying mass you are not an individual. You are legion.

There is a slightly sanitised atmosphere to games now, and I do put a lot of it down to the seats.

On the other hand, no one liked going home and discovering a fag burn in the back of their best coat or feeling the warming sensation of someone weeing down the back of your leg.

Exactly, not to mention hugging your teenage mates like you're in an orgy when a goal went in. You wouldn't do that in seats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Very true the new generations will find their own traditions and think they are sacred whilst laughing at the older generations traditions thinking they are quait, just as we did to previous generations. 

Over the last three seasons my nine year old great nephew has been going to matches that's three generations of us...and he reminds me of myself at that age totally enthralled and consumed by all things wednesday and, unlike his Dad at his age when me and my brother used to take him running around the Kop, he's sat glued to the match it's why I feel for the Bury fans

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Interesting perspective on it.  The technology might have changed us as fans. We're more intense now. Pore over every detail.

But like you say, perhaps it isn't that we have changed , just that we now have the means to get the information. 

But maybe in previous years we just didn't seem as obsessive. Maybe it was always in there, the obsessive in all of us waiting to be awoken.

Maybe it isn't that the 24/7 info has taken us and changed us.

Maybe the 24/7 thinking has come along because there was a thirst for it. 

Even back in the day people would ring this in midweek just to get their fix.

image.png.56c075d767c1c09f802e82c3a679786c.png

Maybe we haven't changed as much as we think and it's a glorification of the past where we just think we weren't as reactionary etc etc...

Looks like the spelling on your teletext was as bad as some of the posters on OT.WTF:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Exactly, not to mention hugging your teenage mates like you're in an orgy when a goal went in. You wouldn't do that in seats.

There is a bird on the Kop that does. 

7 hours ago, Green Howard Owl said:

Don't forget half time scores, some old guy changing the score cards at the side of the pitch, then getting home to find he was wrong.

The classic example was 1990 when we were celebrating a non-existent equaliser against Luton (?) for a few minutes that would have kept us up.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's no question that the all-seater requirements changed the atmosphere for ever. I remember the first game on the Kop in 1993/4 and you could feel the difference immediately. I guess it will never be the same again. One game in particular springs to mind from about 1989 that was just like a prolonged half-time interval (I think it finished 0-0), but quite a large group of us were singing and jumping around for something like 15 minutes solid to entertain ourselves. Can't imagine that at home now unless it was a really big occasion.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Interesting perspective on it.  The technology might have changed us as fans. We're more intense now. Pore over every detail.

But like you say, perhaps it isn't that we have changed , just that we now have the means to get the information. 

But maybe in previous years we just didn't seem as obsessive. Maybe it was always in there, the obsessive in all of us waiting to be awoken.

Maybe it isn't that the 24/7 info has taken us and changed us.

Maybe the 24/7 thinking has come along because there was a thirst for it. 

Even back in the day people would ring this in midweek just to get their fix.

image.png.56c075d767c1c09f802e82c3a679786c.png

Maybe we haven't changed as much as we think and it's a glorification of the past where we just think we weren't as reactionary etc etc...

Wonder who the defender exiting us is?

MIss the old telextext, Grandstand and MOTD days, even Channel 4's brilliant Football Italia coverage.

Even back when I were a kid in the late 80s/90s things seemed a lot different to now. It helped that we had a quality team back then but there didn't seem as much as a fuss back then whenever we lost.

Although sadly, I didn't realise at the time that those heady days wouldn't last long. Took it more for granted back then to be honest but would just look forward to the next game and naively would expect new signings to be as good as our early 90s players. 

The 90s to me now are bittersweet. The football and many of the iconic players of the time were brilliant but it's hard to look back without some regret of what could've been. Although it were my favourite era as a football fan, it did come at a cost, not just with our decline but it was also the beginning of the end for football with Sky and the top flight and European competition rebranding. Didn't realise at the time but that was as good as it would get and it would never be the same again.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

MIss the old telextext, Grandstand and MOTD days, even Channel 4's brilliant Football Italia coverage.

James Richardson was fabulous. That someone with little background in broadcasting or football could be so good shames the current parade of self-congratulatory cliche spouters that the major TV companies inflict on us these days, especially on the two main networks. So few of them are worth listening to by comparison.

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

James Richardson was fabulous. That someone with little background in broadcasting or football could be so good shames the current parade of self-congratulatory cliche spouters that the major TV companies inflict on us these days, especially on the two main networks. So few of them are worth listening to by comparison.

Exactly, back then they worth listening to and the likes of James Richardson were inventive, fun and a lot more interesting. Nowadays, the MOTD, BT and Sky lot are dull to.listen to, uninteresting and bland. The current lot are so cliche and scripted, that they all sound alike. 

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Wonder who the defender exiting us is?

Even back when I were a kid in the late 80s/90s things seemed a lot different to now. It helped that we had a quality team back then but there didn't seem as much as a fuss back then whenever we lost.

With today's 24/7 analysis we'd be going crackers about the 6-1 drubbing by L**ds, the 7-2 from Forest. Even that 2-0 by Oxford.

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

He was superb. Used to love his Italian football show. He's over on BeinSport now with the odd cameo. What's really creepy is he doesn't appear to have aged in 30 yrs.

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Gazetta Football Italia on C4 on Saturday mornings was essential TV for me back in the 90s and you’re spot on with your comments about James Richardson.

3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

I wonder if George Courtney would have had a few mentions on a 1980s Owlstalk?

I seem to remember any pre-match optimism quickly evaporating amongst our fans as word got round that he was refereeing. I’m sure he hated us!

One of those refs that the players had to get in hand early doors..

2019-08-31 10.45.04.png

On 30/08/2019 at 23:29, The Night-Owl said:

Exactly, back then they worth listening to and the likes of James Richardson were inventive, fun and a lot more interesting. Nowadays, the MOTD, BT and Sky lot are dull to.listen to, uninteresting and bland. The current lot are so cliche and scripted, that they all sound alike. 

I thought Michael Owen was the most boring an anodyne of all the new pundits.

Wish he said as much when he was on TV as he seems to be saying in his new book. 

I probably wouldn't have to mute him then.