Jordan Rhodes - It's your time

Guest domSWFC

7 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

I don't want him to fail, I just can't see him succeeding. 

That's fair enough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can succeed, if he fails that's fair enough. I might even admit you were right.

I goal every 180 minutes of playing time = great success

1 goal every 270 minutes,= decent, worth having but  wouldn't have paid £8M for him.

1 goal every 360 minutes = Meh.

Please please please don't shift from 4-3-3 to shoehorn in a Jordan Rhodes into the side when 4-3-3 maximises the awesomeness of Hutch, Lee and Bannan, and allows Harris to have a starting position further up the pitch threatening to break the offside trap. Please.

I'm gonna say it: I think Rhodes can play that lone striker role. Or should I say, I think he can adapt to it. It's his only shot of staying a top Championship striker, because the days of him being able to work as a poacher in a 4-4-2... the Championship has evolved and that style lost its efficacy. So he has to adapt with it, and I think he's enough of a professional to do it. Beef up. Watch Billy the Blunt videos and learn how to be a brute. No-one will expect Drogba, but he's pretty good at retaining possession as it is (all be it by keeping it simple).

Have Rhodes become a bit better at holding onto it for just another touch, make sure tactically we get Lee and Bannan up to support as much as possible, and there's no reason why he can't be a pretty darn decent lone striker in this league. IMO.

25 minutes ago, prowl said:

I bet there are a few who will love it if he fails. Strange mentality but they are out there.:sad:

I don't want him to fail, in fact would love him to prove the doubters wrong. 

Personally Ive just lost all confidence in him and his ability here. 

Just like I did with abdi and have also with VanAkren.

Sonetines a player cones to a club and it just doesn't work out no matter how you try. 

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Please please please don't shift from 4-3-3 to shoehorn in a Jordan Rhodes into the side when 4-3-3 maximises the awesomeness of Hutch, Lee and Bannan, and allows Harris to have a starting position further up the pitch threatening to break the offside trap. Please.

I'm gonna say it: I think Rhodes can play that lone striker role. Or should I say, I think he can adapt to it. It's his only shot of staying a top Championship striker, because the days of him being able to work as a poacher in a 4-4-2... the Championship has evolved and that style lost its efficacy. So he has to adapt with it, and I think he's enough of a professional to do it. Beef up. Watch Billy the Blunt videos and learn how to be a brute. No-one will expect Drogba, but he's pretty good at retaining possession as it is (all be it by keeping it simple).

Have Rhodes become a bit better at holding onto it for just another touch, make sure tactically we get Lee and Bannan up to support as much as possible, and there's no reason why he can't be a pretty darn decent lone striker in this league. IMO.

If not Fletcher I would prefer it to be Nuhiu. His hold up play it pretty good and because of his height he will win most things in the air. Now we have Harris and Murphy he is a good foil for them. But I think he will be the one to replace Fletcher. 

However we can probably and will go 4-4-2 when we need to alot have got the personal now to do both. So Rhodes does have a part to play still.

Guest Jack the Hat

Both Rhodes and Winnall have scored a decent amount of headers, so can see them covering for Fletcher. I disagree that Rhodes can't play up top on his own. All of of our strikers can.

1 hour ago, domSWFC said:

Transfer window closed and he's still an owl. He's on good money, he's our record signing so use him. 

We've made perfect signings to play to his strengths. Finally we have pace to get down the flanks, put that ball in the box and let him do what he does. 

I don't think there is any owl who doesn't want this guy to succeed. Let's get behind him, make him feel wanted and watch him tear up this league like he has so many times before. 

He could be as good as any new signing. 

UTO 

You are absolutely right ... you have called it just right !!

Let’s hope the management structure/profile grab this too ... somehow, I think they may just do that !! 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

We will continue to use 4-3-3 and rightly so. 

He doesn't fit into that formation. 

Cant see him playing much however much we want him to succeed.

Didn't Norwich play 4-3-3 last year?

Don't see why he can't fit in the formation actually think he will reveal in it... Big difference it's an attacking 4-3-3 playing a high pressing game which he would do well in than a defensive 4-5-1 relying on counter attacking where he would be isolated like Boro used to play.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

he cost me 50 quid last year with lack of goals but have this strange feeling that if we play to his strengths and in mood he will score goals. Thing with him is if he aint in mood and dont play to his strengths hes no chance and will look even past it as hasnt got the ability to produce a bit of magic like some other player that might no be in mood but can produce he relays on others  

He had success playing in 4-4-2 when high pressing and closing down by strikers was not on agenda. We play with one lead striker. We ither play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. Its a variable system which changes on how opposition play. We did this last season and also employed system at Reading. If Rhodes can come on for last 10 minutes and score odd goal and see out game similar to what he did at Norwich it will be great.

1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

4-3-3 - Fletch or Nuhiu up front.

4-4-2 - Fletch & Rhodes. 

Easy this football manager lark.

Ditch the full backs and 3-5-2 could also be a possibility for Fletcher and Rhodes up front. This might also give Winnall more of a chance of getting on the field with Nuhiu.

I think Bullen will be prepared to mix it up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, benitocarbonara said:

he cost me 50 quid last year with lack of goals but have this strange feeling that if we play to his strengths and in mood he will score goals. Thing with him is if he aint in mood and dont play to his strengths hes no chance and will look even past it as hasnt got the ability to produce a bit of magic like some other player that might no be in mood but can produce he relays on others  

We don’t really know what his strengths are anymore.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

I bet there are a few who will love it if he fails. Strange mentality but they are out there.:sad:

Surely not. 

I think there is little to no chance of him coming good for us but I would be delighted if he did and became that 20+ goal striker we need.

53 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Didn't Norwich play 4-3-3 last year?

Don't see why he can't fit in the formation actually think he will reveal in it... Big difference it's an attacking 4-3-3 playing a high pressing game which he would do well in than a defensive 4-5-1 relying on counter attacking where he would be isolated like Boro used to play.

Norwich played a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with a lone striker.

But there's a good reason why Rhodes was benched for most of the season.  His all around game wasn't good enough to play the lone striker role.  If people are expecting him to perform this role for us then he needs to improve a lot.  I just think he's too limited.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Harris gets to the bye-line (Christ he’s quick) we’ll. He pulled a lovely ball back for Fletch on Saturday. I think Jordan will absolutely thrive on this. His timing and positional sense is outstanding, and we know he can finish.

I think Fletch and Rhodes will love the service from Harris, Reach, Murphy and FF.

We know he could finish - past tense as we’ve seen so little of it over past four years and his confidence, unsurprisingly, is low.