Scott McKenna Bid

Would be disappointed if we spent £7 million on him. Whilst decent at SPL level, he is completely over-hyped and I am not sure how well he would do down here.

A risk not worth taking financially, especially when we can get Hector for less! 

7 hours ago, Owls77 said:

£7 million

lol

Aberdeen have previously turned down £7.5m from Championship clubs for him. If you think the club are getting him for peanuts you are mistaken. Their hand is now being forced with his transfer request but £7m isn’t a ridiculous figure.

7 hours ago, j17tjp said:

Genuinely no idea who this is. 

Dont really follow Scottish footy. 

Anyone ITK on what he’s like ?

A solid defender, strong, good in the air, communicative and mature for a defender beyond his years. He’s not as good as Aberdeen fans think he is but he’s still better than every centre half Wednesday have currently in the squad (not that that’s difficult). He’s also streets ahead of the laddie at Killie we were previously linked with. Would be a good signing.

7 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Doubt we'll have bid more than 3-4M considering Hector is quoted to be more. 

Kind of reassuring that we are open to other offers if Hector isnt a cert. Also kind of worrying that Hector might not happen. 

£3-4m won’t cut it. Aberdeen are having their hands forced by the transfer request but he won’t be sold for half of the price they’ve already turned down. They don’t need to sell and he is contracted for a long time.

3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Can see why they want 7 then, but if he is determined to leave they run the risk of him winding his contract down and going for nothing next summer if above posts are correct.

Contracted til 2023. There are no issues with contracts winding down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

Aberdeen have previously turned down £7.5m from Championship clubs for him. If you think the club are getting him for peanuts you are mistaken. Their hand is now being forced with his transfer request but £7m isn’t a ridiculous figure.

A solid defender, strong, good in the air, communicative and mature for a defender beyond his years. He’s not as good as Aberdeen fans think he is but he’s still better than every centre half Wednesday have currently in the squad (not that that’s difficult). He’s also streets ahead of the laddie at Killie we were previously linked with. Would be a good signing.

£3-4m won’t cut it. Aberdeen are having their hands forced by the transfer request but he won’t be sold for half of the price they’ve already turned down. They don’t need to sell and he is contracted for a long time.

Contracted til 2023. There are no issues with contracts winding down.

In your opinion, McKenna or Hector ?

14 minutes ago, malek said:

In your opinion, McKenna or Hector ?

Hector played for Aberdeen too mate and there’s absolutely no Aberdeen fan alive that would choose him over McKenna. They are both good enough for our first team and both better than what we have. Hard to pick because they are different players at different stages of their career.

I think they would both improve the squad and both be good signings. Hector is a known quantity, more experienced, but I doubt he’d have the same sell on potential as McKenna.

Naturally I’m biased but I think Souttar is the more complete young centre back in the SPFL with his superior footballing ability to McKenna, but I think McKenna will cope better with the physicality of the English Championship. Those two are the future for Scotland and both great talents that will go on to have good careers.

My honest opinion is that McKenna will likely sign for Celtic. They’re supposed to be interested too.

Edited by edinburghowl
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

7m for a player only tested in the SPL. They’re on the sauce.

£7m for an established international defender, with experience of playing European football, that’s better than every centre back currently at the club, in this market is a good deal. 

24 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

£7m for an established international defender, with experience of playing European football, that’s better than every centre back currently at the club, in this market is a good deal. 

Having a look he looks to have a promising career up north of the border and I appreciate there are some good players in the SPL but in terms of the same quality opposition I don’t think he’s  being tested at the same standard as he would in the top end of the EPL on a regular basis. Caps against Kazakhstan, Cyprus, San Marino, Israel, Hungary, Costa Rica are more prevalent than the likes of Belgium or Portugal. Palmer and Nuhiu play against teams like that (and Hector who plays internationally and has played in Europe).

The Europa League is a bit of a red herring too given some of the obscure sides in it at the beginning. 

Cant see anyone in England  paying 7m up front it would have to be caveated.

Edited by Bluesteel

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Hector played for Aberdeen too mate and there’s absolutely no Aberdeen fan alive that would choose him over McKenna. They are both good enough for our first team and both better than what we have. Hard to pick because they are different players at different stages of their career.

I think they would both improve the squad and both be good signings. Hector is a known quantity, more experienced, but I doubt he’d have the same sell on potential as McKenna.

Naturally I’m biased but I think Souttar is the more complete young centre back in the SPFL with his superior footballing ability to McKenna, but I think McKenna will cope better with the physicality of the English Championship. Those two are the future for Scotland and both great talents that will go on to have good careers.

My honest opinion is that McKenna will likely sign for Celtic. They’re supposed to be interested too.

Celtic who are currently in the process of trousering £25m for a left back.......

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Having a look he looks to have a promising career up north of the border and I appreciate there are some good players in the SPL but in terms of the same quality opposition I don’t think he’s  being tested at the same standard as he would in the top end of the EPL on a regular basis. Caps against Kazakhstan, Cyprus, San Marino, Israel, Hungary, Costa Rica are more prevalent than the likes of Belgium or Portugal. Palmer and Nuhiu play against teams like that (and Hector who plays internationally and has played in Europe).

The Europa League is a bit of a red herring too given some of the obscure sides in it at the beginning. 

Cant see anyone in England  paying 7m up front it would have to be caveated.

I agree there is no doubt that he hasn’t been regularly tested against players of EPL quality but we aren’t playing at that level (yet). Aberdeen have already previously turned down more than £7m for McKenna so it’s almost certain that he’s not going for cheaper than that.

You look at Webster going from Bristol for £20m and I think with an initial chunk paid up front, add-ons based on performance, and a sell on clause, and a £7m package I think would be a very good deal. I’m sure Aberdeen would prefer to sell to an English club over Celtic. Even if it is less money up front. 

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

McKenna was wanted by Bruce before he left Villa but they couldn't afford it at the time.

Part of the reason why they went on a dip and he left was because he couldn't get the quality defenders he wanted. I think Chester was injured at the time and he wanted a quality centre back, so they didn't have to rely too much on older players.

Seems like, we're still working with Bruce's shopping list?

Not a bad thing as he took a punt on Robertson and Maguire when others didnt. 

It's a tough call. Hector is less of a risk and would slot straight back into the team, but he has found his level with us and will never be a Premiership CB. 

McKenna is more of a gamble - but if he keeps improving there's every chance we could sell him for £20million in a couple of years in the current climate.

8 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Celtic who are currently in the process of trousering £25m for a left back.......

About a year or two ago there was serious debate over who was Scotland’s best left back between Robertson and Tierney. Robertson is better IMO but Tierney is a very good player.

3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I agree there is no doubt that he hasn’t been regularly tested against players of EPL quality but we aren’t playing at that level (yet). Aberdeen have already previously turned down more than £7m for McKenna so it’s almost certain that he’s not going for cheaper than that.

You look at Webster going from Bristol for £20m and I think with an initial chunk paid up front, add-ons based on performance, and a sell on clause, and a £7m package I think would be a very good deal. I’m sure Aberdeen would prefer to sell to an English club over Celtic. Even if it is less money up front. 

I think the Webster and Mings deals have sent the market a bit mad. Couldn’t believe that kind of money for them